Newborn Care Post Delivery ?'s

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I have been looking at a birth plan layout and there were a couple items to check on whether I wanted them done or not but I am not sure what they are....

*Erythromycin vs silver nitrate eye treatment post delivery

*Vitamin K either orally or via an injection

*PKU screening

So what are your takes on those three items and what exactly are they?!?!?
July 6th, 2009, 04:16 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I opted out of the eye cream, it is really just for if you have gonnorhea or chlamydia. My midwife was fine with it and they made me pee in a cup to check for STDs. Once I was transferred to the hospital, I opted out of it again.

I did get the VitK, but wonder if it made Zoe more jaundice than she would have been?

Not sure about the PKU i do not remember that. I am assuming they did that in the hospital, but not sure.

July 6th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
So I have been looking at a birth plan layout and there were a couple items to check on whether I wanted them done or not but I am not sure what they are....

*Erythromycin vs silver nitrate eye treatment post delivery

*Vitamin K either orally or via an injection

*PKU screening

So what are your takes on those three items and what exactly are they?!?!?
Yes, the ethromycin/ silver nitrate is to protect the baby's eyes from infection if you have an STD. Most people who know what it's for opt out of it.

Babies have a natural Vitamin K deficiency for about 5 days after birth. This is only a problem in case of an extremely difficult birth or the need for some type of surgery, as Vit K helps the blood to clot. Some people (like me) opt only to give vit K (an injection if this happened, because it works much faster) if it looks like there might be internal bleeding (really not anticipating needing to). Many give it orally just in case, because orally is much more gentle on both the application, and the delivery than a shot.

The PKU screening screens for a bajillion extremely rare, but usually fatal diseases/genetic abnormalities. These are the types of problems that usually result in the death of a child because they're so rare, that even if you notice the symptoms, they probably won't be recognized in time by a Dr. My personal opinion is that it's a good thing, although I see no reason to do it immediately after my baby has entered the world - it's a pretty significant blood draw. I plan to have it done by my pediatrician or midwife, probably withing 1-3 days after birth. You know, just to give the little girl a chance to settle in before sticking her with needles.

July 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We opted out of the eye cream too, didn't feel it was necessary

We also opted out of the vitamin K - I looked at the research supporting both and decided that it wasn't necessary

We did do the PKU screen, we felt it didn't hurt. We were told it had to be done around 24-48 hours after birth, so my midwife did it at our next day home visit. With it, they put a little prick in thier heal and put the blood drops on a piece of paper that they send into the lab. I trusted my midwives completely, so I went with thier recommendation to do it.

Expecting baby #4!

July 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM
noworries
I am using very natural midwives (homebirth midwives) this time around and they are fine with me opting out of the eye ointment and the vitamin K (although I haven't decided on the vitamin K yet) but they do recommend the PKU screening.
Like others have said, the eye ointment is just to protect baby against infection if you have an STD and the Vitamin K a lot of people decide to give only if the baby suffered trauma during the birth.
July 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
mommy1980's Avatar Super Mommy
The eye ointment and vitamin k they try to do immediately after birth. The PKU we do between 24 to 36 hours after birth at my hospital. It does screen for a bunch of genetic disorders.

Arissa born August 28, 2009 at 1050 am

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

July 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
We opted out of everything except the screening. With the eye ointment- it clouds baby's vision, so doing it right after birth can really disrupt that first really important hour, so at least waiting is a better option.
July 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
We opted out of the eye ointment and the Vit K (even though Van had a circumcision a day or two later). We did do the PKU. However, he got an eye infection during his hospital stay. So, at the end of our stay (beginning of day 3), we put the goop in.

My Ovulation Chart

July 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I forgot to add that nursing moms can take oral vit K themselves and pass it to the baby in their milk if they want.
July 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
With V I did all 3, but we delayed the drops and vit K until a few hours after birth.

This time we will probably do the same.
July 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say that you might need to do a little research to see what you can opt out of in your state. I wish I could opt out of the drops but in NY where I live you cannot opt out of the eye cream. It is state law that it be applied within an hour of birth. My hospital allows mom and baby to have 1 hour of bonding time before the nurses get their hands on the baby to weigh, do the eye cream etc. I make sure she does the eye cream at the last second and then wipe as much of it away as I can when she's not looking. The nurses have been really cooperative with me on that, within the rules.
I gave vit. K because my boys were circ'd at 2 days old. PKU we did also.
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

July 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, New York is the suck state for Vit K and eye ointment. I believe though, that while it's "mandated" in all the other states as well, you DO have a right to refuse. Some Drs and nurses will tell you no, but that's only true in NY.

July 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I opted out of the eye ointment and I wait until after the birth to decide on the Vit K. Emme was "stuck" and had to be maneuvered so the midwife suggested the Vit K at that point. We did the PKU after 3 days because it is much more accurate after a few days of breastfeeding. That is why they do the PKU twice. Once before you leave the hospital (to get the mothers that dont come back) and once days later when it is more accurate.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I opted out of the eye ointment and I wait until after the birth to decide on the Vit K. Emme was "stuck" and had to be maneuvered so the midwife suggested the Vit K at that point. We did the PKU after 3 days because it is much more accurate after a few days of breastfeeding. That is why they do the PKU twice. Once before you leave the hospital (to get the mothers that dont come back) and once days later when it is more accurate.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies.....
July 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
With Nichole we did everything as I was not educated on any of it. With Avery, we will do the eye goop, because we have to. Texas also does not allow opting out of it. Of course maybe my midwife will just say she did it, or let me do it and i will put it on her eye brows! lol She will not do it till the baby goes home though so that bonding, nursing and all that can be done first as she feels it interferes as well.
Vit K will not do unless trauma. Otherwise we are supplementing me.
PKU test I will do as well, I have a lot less issues taking things out of my baby then puttin ghtings in kinda thing. That is done 24-48 hours after birth at the center.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 8th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I am pretty sure you can opt out in Texas. My pediatrician refused to even write me a prescription for it unless I had tested positive for an STD.

July 8th, 2009, 07:48 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What really makes me mad about the eye goop in NY State is that my OB has tested me for every STD on the planet with each of my pregnancies so they know I don't have any diseases. Why not just require eye goop for the babies who's moms were untested or who tested positive. My sister (a hospital nurse) says it would be too hard for the nurses at delivery to sort out what baby needed it and what baby didn't so they give it to all (same with Vit. K). It really makes me mad. Just the principal of not being able to decide for my own child.
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

July 9th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did the eye goop even though I'd initially planned to skip it- my pediatrician recommended it against all infection that might be introduced even during the birth process (i.e. from nurse or midwife checking cervix, etc.). We also did the Vit K especially recommended as lil O had a major head bruise. Both were done much later that night after we'd had a bunch of bonding time. We didn't do the PKU thing, that I am aware of.

Thank you CupcakeJamie for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search