Help! What would you do?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Emme is going through her 3rd unexplained fever since she was born. I know that doesnt seem like a lot but she has spiked a fever of about 104 for no reason on 3 seperate occasions. She has never been sick besides an occasional cold that I treated at home. She has never been on medication. No antibiotics, no cold medicine, etc. So I really dont think she has a compromised immune system because I think she would have caught everything else my other two have had.

The last time the doctor said if her fever didnt go away in a few days he wanted to draw blood. It went away so we never found out what it was from.

Has anyone else gone through this? I feel completely helpless. I take her to the pediatrician and they say there is nothing wrong with her. She has been sleeping ALL DAY! Literally she woke up for one hour this morning and has been asleep since. She will open her eyes and take a drink and go right back to sleep. Her eyes are all puffy and I know she doesnt feel good. She is on day 3 of this fever.

Any ideas? Please Im desperate.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow.... poor Emme. Does she have any other symptoms other than the fever? runny nose? cough? I know how scary high fevers are - Grant spiked a high fever every time he got sick or got a new tooth. it was miserable. Just make sure if it gets that high again to throw her in a cool bath to cool her down. She'll hate it but it will cool her down quickly. It's not uncommon for some kids to spike high fevers when they're sick. If you trust your peditrician, then she's probably got just a little virus. But, if it doesn't break soon, I'd take her in for the blood draw.
I hope she gets better soon!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
That's what used to happen to Cadie when she was teething, but it stopped, or at least did for the last few teeth. Do you think it could be teething related for Emme?

I feel for ya, it sucks.
July 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily has spiked a high fever while teething. She also had a fever over 104 for 5 days back in April/May. It turned out she had mycoplasma pneumonia, which doesn't always have symptoms like a cough/breathing issues/etc. She just had the fever really. Her pedi did a blood draw and all her blood counts were fine. Then they did a chest x-ray just to check and she had lots of fluid in her lungs.

Hope Emme is okay though!

July 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Google has taught me that a UTI is often misdiagnosed as an "unexplained fever". So maybe that?

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 10th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
is she vaccinated? and did she have any reactions if she was. I have learned that kids who have had reactions to vaccines tend to run "unexplained" high fevers as well. Nichole had a bad reaction to her 2 month shots (Pertussis) and ran a high fever 104.8. Since then she has had a few times where she ran a super high fever with no other signs.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How is she today?

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry it took me a while to get back on and update. Ive been dealing with a sick baby. After I posted I took her fever again and it was 105.3. I took her to the ped where he did another exam and found NOTHING. The next day her ped called me and told me that if she wasnt fever free and she said she meant with no meds and 100 percent fever free that I needed to bring her in saturday for a blood draw and a urine cath.

So today is saturday and her temp is 103-104 all day (without meds). I didnt take her in because I feel like she is acting better. If she seems to be any worse at all Ill take her to the ER tomorrow or Monday. They had originally told me a virus is going around that lasts 4-7 days. This would be day 6 so Im still not discouraged that it is just running its course.

She has NO other symptoms at all. No runny nose, no cough, no vomiting, etc. Just plain nothing but a high fever. She isnt acting like its bothering her to pee and she has been drinking a bunch just not eating. Which kind of leads me to believe that her stomach may be upset. Her fever is way too high to be teeth and she didnt run a fever when she got her other 3. Oh and she is not vaccinated either so that cant be it. Im not sure. I just feel so helpless.

Thank you for all of your well wishes!!

July 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope the fever comes down even more today!! Poor Emme!

July 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Day 8 of fever...

Its lower today. 102.5. I called the inlaws over yesterday to help with with her for a little bit. Im am exhausted and she wont be anywhere but in my arms. She did just eat breakfast for the first time since wednesday. I think we are making progress.

July 13th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Sarah,

I bet their is a virus going around. My DH has the same thing going on. He's had a fever for over a week and he is just tired. No other symptoms. He is going to care now today so I'm assuming they will do bloodwork. I hope Emme is feeling better, poor thing. I'll let you know what we find out.

July 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Sarah,

I bet their is a virus going around. My DH has the same thing going on. He's had a fever for over a week and he is just tired. No other symptoms. He is going to care now today so I'm assuming they will do bloodwork. I hope Emme is feeling better, poor thing. I'll let you know what we find out.

July 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Sarah,

July 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor Emme, I agree there is probably a virus going around, both my boys have had that happen where they just had fevers and no other symptom. I hope she feels better!
July 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Just a side note- Some people have higher fevers than others...for instance, It's not at all uncommon for me to have a fever of 104-105 when sick! (None of my siblings are this way...it's just me!) It's the way my body fights infection! (Always has been!) It's not the number that matters so much, as how fast it gets there! You just don't want it to spike! (So giving meds can be dangerous if they wear off and it spikes back up!)

On the other side of all this, my husband will have all the symptoms of a fever without it ever showing up on a thermometer, so when it does show, we know it's serious!! (So who knows what BE will be like! I will have to keep a close eye on him!)

I guess my point is, just watch her! So long as she is still drinking lots of fluids, and urinating, it may be her body's way of dealing with things. She may just need rest!

I hope she continues to get better! Hang in there Mama! ((Hugs))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search