Signing yourself and baby out AMA???

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM
mommabirdof4
Okay...I talked to my hubby about this tonight.

I do not want to spend more then one night in the hospital. With my son he was born during the day on a wednesday and I didn't get to go home until Friday night. My son was under the billi lights and he came home under them but honestly we didn't use them at home...just exposed him to natural light(it was last June).

We have already agreed we will not be bullied into taking the lights home this time if they say she needs them. So I told my husband that more then likely we will have to check her out AMA...and he agreed. So I said that I may have to do the same for myself since I would like to go home.

So has anyone ever done this?????
July 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
The hospital where I had Courtney is fine with you going home as soon as the baby's doctor/pedi does an exam and says he/she is fine. For us we were there about 30 hours total. I would call the hospital and ask specifically what requirements they have for being able to leave after birth. Then see where you can bend the rules and whatnot.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had patients sign out AMA--But I DO want to point out if you do that insurance will NOT pay for you hospital stuff! You will be responsible for it all.
July 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
here you can go home 3-4 hours after birth (as far as I know you have to ask, because they wont kick you out on their own, though you wont spend more than one night after birth in hospitals here), if you have midwives and birth in hospital about 2 hours after birth.

July 11th, 2009, 03:54 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
after my c section i was not even there 48 hours and they wanted me there 4 days. the pediatrician cleared Zoe and i just pestered them until they released me. i think they were busy and wanted the room

July 11th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
With Reicher, things went perfect and we left about 18 hours after his birth. 3-4 of those were us waiting for them to bring us the papers so we could be discharged. I was soo ready to go home.

This time, I'm going to leave as soon as possible. I, too, have heard insurance won't cover anything if you sign out AMA (which is retarded, do they really want to pay for a LONGER, UNNECESSARY stay? grr, I hate insurance). Anyway, some places have a minimum stay time, but will waive it for you if they think you're doing okay. Some places are 12 hours, most are 24 assuming labor/delivery are normal and mom/baby are okay.

I really want to go home a couple hours after birth this time, but I don't know if they will let me. I'm probably going to bug them until they let me go home lol.

July 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats one of the main reasons Im not going to a hospital. We cant leave until the doctor clears us which they wont until they decide to get their butt out of bed the next day and make their rounds. And if we leave AMA then our insurance will not pay any portion of our hospital bill... Totally sucks.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I feel super duper dumb but I can't figure out what AMA is standing for here. With Cadie I had her at 7am Friday and left late Sat afternoon. It took fooooooorever for them to clear us. We were ready to go at 10 am. They were all paranoid about her billiruben levels and stuff too.

I don't know why hospital beds have to be so uncomfortable. This hospital had big beautiful suites and everything and then had the worst beds and pillows ever. How anyone can get any rest is beyond me.
July 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
AMA = against medical advice (I believe...)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
nicolelogg's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
I feel super duper dumb but I can't figure out what AMA is standing for here. With Cadie I had her at 7am Friday and left late Sat afternoon. It took fooooooorever for them to clear us. We were ready to go at 10 am. They were all paranoid about her billiruben levels and stuff too.

I don't know why hospital beds have to be so uncomfortable. This hospital had big beautiful suites and everything and then had the worst beds and pillows ever. How anyone can get any rest is beyond me.
AMA stands for against medical advice.
July 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not only will insurance not pay for your hospital bill, but if the baby is being kept there for some "medical reason" other than some minimum-stay requirement the Pediatrician can refuse to allow you to sign the baby out (an emergency court order can be obtained for temporary custody, even on weekends). I would check into not only the rules of the hospital, but also your state considering such matters.

July 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
ohhh, ok. I guess we didn't do that then, they "let" us go.
July 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
mommabirdof4
That sucks...I guess I will just have to fight to go home.....that will be fun!!!
July 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
mommy1980's Avatar Super Mommy
I would start talking to whoever is delivering you and your pediatrician. As long as you are both medically fine I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. If you have other children they usually will let you go home a little earlier.

Arissa born August 28, 2009 at 1050 am

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

July 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy1980 View Post
I would start talking to whoever is delivering you and your pediatrician. As long as you are both medically fine I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. If you have other children they usually will let you go home a little earlier.
Ditto! Tell them now and discuss it. That way there won't be any surprises, and they will be much quicker about getting to you if they KNOW you want to go home vs they think there is no hurry b\c you'll be there another night anyway.

I know in some states btw, you cannot sign a baby out of the hospital AMA. The hospital automatically has legal jurisdiction over the baby until he/she is discharged to prevent you from taking it without a carseat, before it has been examined, etc. So you might want to check on that if you are still considering leaving AMA.

Also as previously pointed out, most insurance companies (dare I say all?) will not cover any of your expenses if you leave AMA. I have heard two explanations on this from my insurance company: 1) they don't want to be financially responsible for any further medical bills you might incur BECAUSE you left too early and 2) they are afraid if something happened to you as a result of leaving early that they might be sued for "pressuring" you to leave sooner to reduce costs. So to avoid even the APPEARANCE of pressuring you, they refuse to cover your bills if you leave before your doctor OK's it. This leaves you and the doctor totally liable, and them totally covered against lawsuit.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
July 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It might help to have a pediatrician who does not have privileges at that hospital. Hopefully then as long as the on-call pedi gives the okay you can go home, since they know you will be following up with someone else.

July 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I left the hospital with DS#2 after 1 night. He was about 30 hours old when we got discharged. I didn't have to leave AMA. I just told my doctor as soon as I got out of the L&D room that I only wanted to spend one night and she said it would be okay with her as long as I was checking out okay and the baby's pediatrician gave him a clean bill of health. If you leave around the 24 hour mark I don't think the baby's billi levels would even have time to build up to the amount where they would be putting her under the lights (I could be wrong).
As soon as you get moved to your room after delivery let your doctor and your nurse know that you want to make plans to leave the following day. I really pestered the nurse and reminded her constantly so that she would let the pediatrician know and be sure to get the paperwork together for discharge.
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

July 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Heck, just have the baby at home. LOL

I was there for a long time after Donovan, but, that was because I ended up with a transfusion on the second day. So, you know, different situation.

July 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM
mommy1980's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1izabeth View Post
I left the hospital with DS#2 after 1 night. He was about 30 hours old when we got discharged. I didn't have to leave AMA. I just told my doctor as soon as I got out of the L&D room that I only wanted to spend one night and she said it would be okay with her as long as I was checking out okay and the baby's pediatrician gave him a clean bill of health. If you leave around the 24 hour mark I don't think the baby's billi levels would even have time to build up to the amount where they would be putting her under the lights (I could be wrong).
As soon as you get moved to your room after delivery let your doctor and your nurse know that you want to make plans to leave the following day. I really pestered the nurse and reminded her constantly so that she would let the pediatrician know and be sure to get the paperwork together for discharge.
Also make sure you mention it to the pediatrician as well. I have seen babies with high billi levels even by the 24 hour mark. The main thing is too let everyone know that you want to get out of there sooner rather than later. Let your nurse know , but definitely let the pediatrician know and your doc or midwife know. They are the ones that need to sign an order to get you discharged and the baby discharged. As long as you and baby have no complications they will usually let you go. Especially since it is not your first baby. They feel you already have some experience.

Arissa born August 28, 2009 at 1050 am

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

July 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The hospital I used to work for would allow you to leave before 24 hours if mom and baby were okay, as long as you agreed to take the baby to the Pediatrician's for a check-up within 36 hours.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search