uh......yeah

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
JM article: http://www.justmommies.com/pregnancy/labor-and-childbirth/five-reasons-to-skip-the-birth-plan-and-go-with-the-flow
July 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't agree with that article at all....

I am more relaxed if I have a plan that is drawn up and more flexible then worrying about the what if I didn't have the plan there to help guide the caregivers through my decisions...

Having a birth plan to me means that I have a better relationship with my caregiver who is more open and laid back to allow me to be able to put my input into my body, pregnancy, and baby....

There will be more "what ifs" if I don't have a birth plan.... IMO

And making a birth plan that allows you to be flexible is the way to BE more flexible during labor...

Sorry but I don't agree with this article... unless I read it wrong.. but my opinion... I am sticking with a birth plan...
July 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Sadly i'm coming across this attitude about them in my DDC too. A few women in there seem to be on a mission to keep everyone from having one... sigh...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 12th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What is soooo wrong or upsetting about having a birth plan???

Good lord I found an awesome site on making them but I plan on having one....
July 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
i don't know, I don't get it. I think everyone should have one. It can open your eyes to options you didn't know existed and spark research into topics you wouldn't have considered before.

Personally I haven't ever had a birth plan. But only because I trusted implicitly in my midwives and knew I was in a situation where my desires wouldn't be questioned. The midwife I have this time I click with perfectly and she wants the same things for me that I want. But she does ask you to write a sort of "essay" on your ideal birth. I think just to help with visualizing it and whatnot.

July 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Exactly... I didn't know about a handful of things until I found two websites on writing birth plans... I believe a thread I posted in here about "Post Delivery care of newborn"

Those questions are ones I found in a birth plan and did not know about....
July 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to read that, but I just wanted to say I have been working on my birth plan tonight! LOL I know I am late but I have the same midwife that was there at birth of all my 4 kids and she knows me, this is just in case she wont make it to my birth and the other 2 midwives will be there (though she promised she will try to be there even if she isnt on call LOL)

July 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
ok this number 5 thing!
quote:
5. You’ll learn to be flexible: Probably one of the most important skills that new parents need to learn is the ability to be flexible – and what better time to learn it than during labor and delivery? Your baby is an individual, just as your labor and delivery will be like no one else’s. You have no way of knowing whether it will be quick, or whether labor will stall after two days. If you teach yourself to go with the flow and take whatever comes, you’ll be preparing yourself for something that all parents of young children need to learn.

ummmm, actually THEY have to learn to be flexible and try to accommodate me and my needs LOL. I found that it works when I have kids too, there are some ways I do stuff with my kids and they might not be done that way let's say in some of the classes my kids take, when I ask them to do it "my" way they were always very flexible!!! if they were not I would have found different place that is willing to be flexible!!
Actually more I think about this flexible thing, the more annoyed I am getting!! Yeah like be flexible in your labour!!! When I know most main stream caregivers will push drugs on me, or induction or section, so I should be flexible about it??? NEVER! THEY have to be flexible!! and understand that ALL that isnt necessary, it just saves them time or trouble, well that is not my problem!!

July 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I've been contemplating doing a short plan just in case I need a hospital transfer. I need to look into options in the event of a C/S which would be one of the very few reasons I'd transfer...

July 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is an excellent website at helping you create a birth plan....

I am using this site as my plan...

Pregnancy and Baby: Birth plan creator
July 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dude they HELP the caregivers (at least the nurses!). And 'go with the flow" because thats what parenting is about---well how about researching what could happen and deciding whats right for your childs health--I think thats pretty darn important also! That just irritated me

Martina (aka our little refugee DDbuddy )---I would love to read yours when your done!
July 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw that and couldnt even make myself read it.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kind of get it, but only because I had one of those experiences that so didn't go according to plan, and it can be a disappointment to do all the work and then have it all go to s***. But on the other hand I wish it had been more detailed, because I was so focused on doing all the right stuff to get the NCB that I glossed over the plan "B" and was totally unprepared for a c-section. I think in general it's more important to have supportive providers who agree with you ahead of time, rather than bringing in a piece of paper to a strange nurse or unsupportive doctor, or fighting with hospital policies once the baby is born.

July 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looks like I'll be in the minority on this one but I actually agree with the most of the article. I think BP's should be as a way to discuss things with your partner and even your care provider. However I agree that if you are educated, you have already chosen a provider that fits your philosophy of birth so much of this isn't needed and your DH probably already knows your desires. A BP might be helpful to nurse staff if you are in a hospital for a long time during a few shift changes, but honestly most do not even look at them, especially if they are as thick as a Bible.

Perhaps I just come at this from someone already educated in birth and whom will choose a provider and place to birth that already fits how I want to birth. I suppose for someone less educated it could be useful. Then again, if they aren't one to have already communicated their wishes to their doctor, just creating a birth plan is not going to cement that the doc, hospital or nurses will do what you want.

So I guess actually I feel a BP is kinda useless on both sides of the coin.
July 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think birth plans can be really great. I didn't have one with my first (didn't even know they existed) but when I had my second the midwives asked me to write one up. They wanted to know what I expected and wanted out of my birth and how involved I wanted them to be with me in labor. There's a lot of women who don't get the option of choosing who they would like to deliver their baby. A lot of women are limited to who their insurance covers in their area so they might not get the best pick of ob/hospital. In that instance I can see a birth plan as being very instrumental in having as stress-free a labor and delivery as possible.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

July 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunaB View Post
Looks like I'll be in the minority on this one but I actually agree with the most of the article. I think BP's should be as a way to discuss things with your partner and even your care provider. However I agree that if you are educated, you have already chosen a provider that fits your philosophy of birth so much of this isn't needed and your DH probably already knows your desires. A BP might be helpful to nurse staff if you are in a hospital for a long time during a few shift changes, but honestly most do not even look at them, especially if they are as thick as a Bible.

Perhaps I just come at this from someone already educated in birth and whom will choose a provider and place to birth that already fits how I want to birth. I suppose for someone less educated it could be useful. Then again, if they aren't one to have already communicated their wishes to their doctor, just creating a birth plan is not going to cement that the doc, hospital or nurses will do what you want.

So I guess actually I feel a BP is kinda useless on both sides of the coin.
I can understand where you are coming from, but it really depends on the situation. Like in my case, I am very high risk, so I am forced to deliver at a larger specialty hospital. I have no idea what doctor I will end up with, so my only chnace of having a birth remotely similar to my wishes, is to have a BP.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
July 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
But women need to realize that just because you have something written in your BP doesn't mean it will or even can be followed. You could say no IV and yet that is the hospital's policy. A BP can be helpful in figuring out if you need to change providers and even the location of your birth earlier in the game if your desires would not be adhered to even the slightest. But it's not wise to just come with a birth plan that you deliver to your doctor or the hospital whenver you go into labor and then think all will be followed. And in the hubbub of the moment, it might not even be looked at.
July 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
as much as I know what you are saying, trust me, if it was my BP THEY would look at it and try to follow as best as they could!!! IV is a general policy in labour (from what i can see everywhere) and yet I never had IV, so it doesnt matter what the policies of hospital are (you should know these policies before you choose the hospital for birth sure I get that), I think what is important is how educated you are on your options when you go to hospital.
it helps to have a doula in that situation too I guess.

July 13th, 2009, 01:20 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do think the MAIN reason for them it to learn you options and talk with spouse and provider. And I do agree the very thick ones (over 4 pages) if the nurse is busy they probably will not read. But as I nurse--I LOVED them. 1. It help us put an appropriate nurse with the patient 2. It help know what they wanted and helped us to try to give that to them.
But YES people NEED to know that just because you wright it out doesn't mean that your going to get it. The provider HAS to write the orders to agree with your plan for us to even follow most of it. The part of me that doesn't like them is when the patient takes it to the provider and they talk about it but then the provider writes out the orders that are the OPPOSITE of what the patients want---but we have to follow THOSE...so then patients think WE are the evil ones trying to control their birth. And THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!
July 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soImarriedAnerd View Post
Martina (aka our little refugee DDbuddy )---I would love to read yours when your done!
ohh mine is the shortest BP you can find LOL
I finished the first draft last night , I felt rushed suddenly LOL. So I printed it (even though I know I want to add few things) just in case I go in labour LOL, like that is gonna happen any time soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search