Saw something interesting on TV

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2009, 01:01 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone watched the show Deliver Me on Discovery Health? I watched an episode earlier last week and was actually impressed. There was a vbac mom and as soon as she was done the doctor said (actually I think the doctor was like 30 seconds too late and the nurse made the catch) "Wasn't that better than a c-section?" and was really rooting for her to get the vbac.

Anyway, the part that was really interesting was there was a woman who's water had already broken and the baby was having decels. The doc knew that she really wanted a natural delivery and to avoid a c-section put in a catheter and injected fluid to try and cushion the baby to relieve the stress on the cord. And it worked! I had never heard of this procedure before in all the reading I have done. Has anyone else heard of this? I wish I had had an option to do this.

July 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
huh, haven't heard of that, but I love when there are positive birth stories on instead of just the normal "total drama birth is so traumatic" theme.

There was a really nice homebirth on last week that impressed me. Mom ended up with an emergency transfer afterwards for hemorrhage but even that, they presented very well and wasn't horribly dramatic like a "home birth is dangerous" thing.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow....I've never watched it, but I'm glad there was a positive outlook on the VBACs.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YEp I have heard of that technique, *insert sarcasm* but they get paid better to just section them so why "waste" all that effort
Glad to hear they did some more friendly things!
July 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Sounds pretty cool! I hardly ever watch tv anymore so Ive never seen the show.
July 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They used to do that at the hospital where I attended medical school. It was actually something that they did quite commonly actually.
Nice to hear that they are showing something positive on television occasionally.

July 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
does it have a special name? this technique?

July 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
does it have a special name? this technique?
If memory serves me correctly, it's called amnio-infusion.

July 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't watch any birth shows, but that's pretty cool about the "amnio-infusion" (if that's what it's called).

July 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't watch any birth shows, but that's pretty cool about the "amnio-infusion" (if that's what it's called).

July 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
ugh, one of the birth shows today TICKED me off!!

Woman having a NCB (yay). But OB had her flat on her back pushing. At one point she yelled out "I DON'T WANT AN EPISIOTOMY!". The camera pans down to the OB promptly giving her one. His excuse to the camera crew "I cut a small episiotomy because she had a scar from a previous one that wasn't stretching"

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 14th, 2009, 05:07 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome, I never heard of that procedure either. I hate watching birth shows, they tend to make me to annoyed.
July 14th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Wow, I've never heard of that either! I've never seen the show but it soundsl like it may actually be a good one. That's awesome to hear!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love that show! Its actually one of the few shows I watch on a regular basis. I think its better than a lot of the birthing shows, because they seem like they are really on the patients side (unlike some of the others that really seem to make the moms do things that will increase their chances of a csection).

I thought of this board when I saw the episode, since the lady having the VBAC was told her first baby was "too large" by her old docs standards. But they kept telling her this baby seemed just fine size wise and she could do it.

The docs there to tend to push the pitocin though.

July 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
ugh, one of the birth shows today TICKED me off!!

Woman having a NCB (yay). But OB had her flat on her back pushing. At one point she yelled out "I DON'T WANT AN EPISIOTOMY!". The camera pans down to the OB promptly giving her one. His excuse to the camera crew "I cut a small episiotomy because she had a scar from a previous one that wasn't stretching"
That's why when I usually watch these shows I end up nearly yelling at the tv.

I was kind of hoping that the technique was made up! Now I'll wonder if that could have helped me. Oh, well...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search