When did your water break?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just a curious question...for those who had NCB when did your water break? With my son it broke 15 minutes before he was born.

I think the midwife broke it, I was 10cm dilated and I have a memory of her saying it was about to burst, and I dont know if it did, or if she broke it. I was ready to push so I didnt really care!
July 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Mine broke while pushing both times. With my first son it started leaking a bit the day before he was born but really broke during pushing.

July 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM
noworries
My doctor broke my water when I was 9cm.
July 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
mine broke at 10:46pm when the midwife opened my legs to check me and he was born at 10:51 pm... i remember telling my sister when i was still home i wasnt going in until my water broke because i was in denial i was actually in labor, well good thing i didnt wait or DH would have delivered the baby lol!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

July 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I did not have a NCB, but my water broke, out of the blue, at the supermarket parking lot at 36weeks, 6 days at 1pm, I had my c-section in the late afternoon the next day. I was not dialated more than a 1cm when I went to the birth center at 6pm (5 hours after my water broke).

July 14th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
With my first, midwife broke it at 10cm because we lost Courtney's heartbeat and we needed to do an internal monitor.

With Nola, it's up for debate I'm fairly certain I sprung a leak 2 days before I went into labor, but the midwife didn't think to do the strip test until after she'd checked me, so I don't have any confirmation. But walking around for 2 days with a pad because every time I moved fluid dribble down my leg makes me pretty sure. At one point towards the end of labor the midwife checked me and asked if I'd felt my water break (uh... no, not during labor). I wasn't too thrilled with my midwife, can you tell? lol

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of the reasons I am asking, they broke my water with my older son when I was 5 cm's dilated. I was surprised the second that they didnt want to, and asked, and the dr said I was progressing just fine and that if he did break it the contractions would be harder and more painful. I was just curious as to everyone's experiences
July 14th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
It's fairly "standard" with many OBs and hospitals to break your water at some point mid-labor. there is really no reason to though. It can help labor progress, but more often it just leads to more painful contractions and a "timeline".

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
noworries
I had told my doctor I didn't want any interventions but I had been stuck at 9cm for quite a while so she suggested we break my water to see if that moved things along and I agreed. I will not have my water broken again though, I will let it break on it's own.
July 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
with my first I was stuck at 8 cm for about 10 hours, so at that point I agreed for them to break my water, had baby really fast after that. I dilate to 10cm with a cervical lip (all 4 times exactly same thing!!! crazy!!!) and for the last 3 labours I asked them to break water just before pushing

July 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
with my first two the doctor broke my water with my last my water broke at home (it was my for sure sign that I was in labor) I had her about 45 mins later I barely made it to the hospital.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

July 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Mine broke about 15 minutes before he was born. I was in the tub but I remember feeling a gush of water and I believe I even said, "I think I my water broke!"

July 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Regular
Mine wasn't natural, but it had been up until my water broke which was when I knew I was in labor. I had just gotten out of the shower and was putting on pants to go to work when I lifted my leg --swoosh! Looking back I can see that I was in early labor the day before but at the time I thought my back pain was due to all the bending and lifting I had done.

Jennifer
July 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have the NCB I had planned for, but my water broke spontaneously and that began labor for me. Although labor progressed almost textbook from that point, I think it breaking early is what caused my dd to descend with her head in a bad position, extremely painful contractions, and subsequent c-section.

July 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
My labor started at 7pm, my water broke at 1am and I went from 7 minutes apart to 3 minutes apart right after. Everything got much more intense too. I started pushing at 4 but didn't have her until 7 am.
July 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My water broke at 1030pm and I didn't have a contraction for about 3 hours after that.

July 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachna View Post
One of the reasons I am asking, they broke my water with my older son when I was 5 cm's dilated. I was surprised the second that they didnt want to, and asked, and the dr said I was progressing just fine and that if he did break it the contractions would be harder and more painful. I was just curious as to everyone's experiences
It was for that very reason that I didn't let them break mine! My midwife offered to do it once I reached 10cm, but I didn't see a need to! I was progressing just fine, and didn't want the contractions to be any more intense then they needed to be! It didn't break until he crowned and I was pushing.
**Side note- He had the most perfect shaped head, and I can't help but wonder if that doesn't have something to do with it!

July 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
I didn't have the NCB I had planned for, but my water broke spontaneously and that began labor for me. Although labor progressed almost textbook from that point, I think it breaking early is what caused my dd to descend with her head in a bad position, extremely painful contractions, and subsequent c-section.
Hmmm, I had a very similar labor. My water broke at the beginning of labor and back labor pains set in immediately for me. He was sunny side up. My midwife kept saying from the beginning he was extremely low. I pushed for 3-4 hours but we had to transport to the hospital. I think he turned during the car ride. He was delivered with about 30 minutes of being at the hospital.

July 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Mine broke at an 8, though she it was instant to start pushing and she was born about 15 minutes later

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With both of my kids my water broke spontaneously before labor began. With Cassidy, it just leaked some, and I started having contractions about 2 hours later.
With Joel, it broke in a BIG way at 3:45 am the day he was born (I never knew there was so much fluid there! ) and I started feeling contractions an hour later.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search