Internals?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
When did you decide to have the midwife/OB check you towards the end of pregnancy? I am debating on the pros and cons of asking my midwife to check me tomorrow. In a lot of ways I would like to know where things stand but also in a lot of ways I know that just starts a lot of mind games. I am over 39 weeks and have braxton hicks every day but have really only had a couple times that have even felt like they were doing anything. Any opinions, suggestions, advice?

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I've never been checked prior to 40 weeks. I don't really see the point really. Like you said, it just plays mind games. But I can also understand wanting to "know" where you're at. It just doesn't really tell you anything, ya know?

I did check myself with Nola at the end, but I wouldn't recommend that to everyone as for one, it's REALLY hard and for two, there are risks associated if you don't really know what you're doing.

I probably wouldn't do it. My midwife this time around is really hands off, so I doubt she'll check prior to labor unless I really ask her to. She doesn't really check much during labor either though...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I think Ryan and I's families are the biggest reason why I am even considering it. They are all guessing days as to when he will be born and I just keep watching for the signs on their days. It is so dumb because he is just going to come when he is going to come and all of that doesn't mean anything. I mean technically I am not even due yet so it really should be a non issue.

Anyway nah don't think I am going to have her check. There just isn't a need...

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
She offered me at 41 weeks but I declined, I didn't want to be too anxious if I was dilated or too upset if I wasn't. At 42 weeks she wanted to check me and I was very surprised to be 3cm! 3 days later I arrived at the center at 7cm (after just a few hours in labor at home) and he was born in an hour!

Facebook
July 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
My midwife offered at 36 weeks when I got the GBS test. I let her since well, I was already down there. I was fingertip dilated at 80% effaced.
I then went in at 38 weeks and declined it, (she offeres every appointment, so its up to us when we want them). Then at my 39 week i did ask her to check and I asked her to strip me as well. I know I know let your body go. Its the only induction type thing I would have tried though and I was only 3 days shy of 40 weeks. I was still 80% effaced but 2cm dilated and stretchy to 3 1/2. I went into labor just over 24 hours later.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My brain DOESN'T want to know. But then it DOES. THEN IT DOESN'T.....I KNOW it doesn't show anything but wow the need to know feeling is strong! LOL My m/w hasn't even offered--which is good since I'm not sure what I would say! LOL.
July 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Super Mommy
I had my nmw check on my due date with dd. She said nothing was going on.......I went into easy labor that night and had dd the next evening.I STILL think she started the ball rolling just by checking.
July 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I probably won't ask or consent to it, but I will ask for more instruction at checking my own cervix. It'll be good practice for when I'm a midwife- if nothing else! I may not check before labor or before 40 weeks- haven't decided that.

July 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I probably won't ask or consent to it, but I will ask for more instruction at checking my own cervix. It'll be good practice for when I'm a midwife- if nothing else! I may not check before labor or before 40 weeks- haven't decided that.

July 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I try to check myself at times...its HARD LOL.
July 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by soImarriedAnerd View Post
I try to check myself at times...its HARD LOL.
it totally is! And you're belly isn't even that big! lol

The only way I could reach was (TMI sorry) to sit on the toilet with one leg up on the tub and use the toilet rim to help push my hand further lol

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
it totally is! And you're belly isn't even that big! lol

The only way I could reach was (TMI sorry) to sit on the toilet with one leg up on the tub and use the toilet rim to help push my hand further lol
Yep thats what i do! LOL I am doing vaginal EPO and so I try to make sure those little suckers get WAY up by my cervix for best absorption ( I'm sure my cervix is trying to hide from me at this point! LOL)
July 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I don't want to check or know so I'd decline this check if my midwife even offered it to me. Sorry that I'm not much help to you.
July 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think my doctor started at 36 weeks, and considering I didn't start dilating until I actually went into labor (despite tons of BH) it definitely caused plenty of mind games and frustration. I wouldn't bother checking.

July 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwife didn't offer them, and I didn't ask. I knew it would be tempting to know if they did offer, so I was glad they don't routinely do them at the end of pregnancy.

July 17th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was checked with DD at 38 weeks and was 2 CM but it definitely played mind games with me so this time I will decline to be checked.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
July 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i asked my midwife this at my last appt and she said she routinely starts at 38w, but i can decline them. i said i didn't want any unless they were "medically" necessary (if i had bleeding or something going on). she is fine with that. she does check when a mom comes in in labor - and then not again until either the mom asks for it, or if the mom has the urge to push she checks.

my biggest reason for refusing them is not necessarily mind games, but anytime they are done it does pose the risk of infection to brylie or myself no matter how clean the enviornment is, there is still something going in my hoo hoo!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I wasn't checked until I was in active labor. Even if I had asked I don't think my MW would have wanted to do it. I'm glad I didn't get checked because I'm sure I wouldn't have been disappointed.

July 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I declined checking until I was 40 weeks. When she checked me she said I may have been a fingertip dialated. I had had severe BH for weeks and they were doing nothing. That really dissapointed me and I broke down. Anyways needless to say I will decling this time. Oh and I went into labor just a couple of days later anyways.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I were you I'd go without the check.
When they do the swab for GBS I let them check but I do not consent to routine cervical exams after that until I'm well into labor. The reason is this - its my cervix and when I'm that pregnant I just plain don't want any unnecessary poking or proding. I only allow minimal checks during labor. With my last labor I was already past 9 cm when I had my first check at the hospital.
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search