Induction without pain meds?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just learned today that I might have a liver disease called intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP), which is where the liver doesn't process bile acids properly so they build up. It's harmless to the momma, but can cause maternal hemmoraging, vitamin K deficiency, and stillbirth. Thus, if my blood tests indicate that I have ICP, they'll want to induce me ASAP. Normally they do it by 37 weeks-- as soon as baby's lungs are fully developed-- which for me is Monday.

I'm already scheduled for a version tomorrow, so there's a chance they would immediately induce me after the version.

I was committed to a completely drug-free birth, but now that I know that my baby's life might be in danger I would definitely agree to be induced. I still want to avoid the pain meds as much as possible though. Anyone ever been induced WITHOUT pain meds? I know my mom did it 23 years ago when she was pregnant with my little sister. I could use some encouraging stories though if you have any.
Iím rocking my baby and babies donít keep.
July 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I delivered my daughter Leila in the hospital with a full induction without any pain meds. I insisted on using the telemetry method of monitoring and just fixed the monitor myself when I could. Here is my birth story...this was the closest I could get to a natural birth with my OB and the gestational diabetes... http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...rth-story.html

It can be done! Just have faith and go in expecting yourself to do it! Honestly the biggest obstacles I had were the OB and the monitoring.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cindy (Husher) was induced with her first and still had a successful painmed-free birth. You can do it!
July 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i know lauren ha one with baby alice too...i believe it's in the birth story sticky...alice lennon is the babys name, i **THINK** mommas name is lauren

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
What can present the biggest challenge is if they use pitocin, which causes really intense contractions right from the start. You have no time to slowly build as with most labors that start on their own. You can make sone deals and make sure they start you on the lowest dose and turn it off when or if things go on their own. If you can get into a very relaxed state it is possible to do it!

Hopefully you don't have to, but if you are induced I hope you can get the birth you want! Be strong!!
July 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It can be done. You just have to remind yourself that you WILL get through it and that no matter what you feel in that moment, the pain will end. Usually by the time you feel like you can't take it anymore, its almost over so hang in there. I believe in you! I hope you don't have the disease but if you do we're all here to help you through it. HUGS!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 16th, 2009, 04:34 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YES it can be done!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
July 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced and did it drug free. I know you can do it too!!!

I would recommend walking all weekend long and going what you can to prepare yourself before hand. Then, when you get to the hospital, tell them you want the pit turned off AS SOON as you start contracting regularly. Once you do, get up and WALK!!! Walk until you can't walk anymore if you have to. If things slow down, and they try to force you back on the pit, turn it off again once you start contracting again. DO NOT let them break your water until you're at least 6 cm. Do not let them try to put you on a time table. Tell them you're ok with laboring as long as you have to (assuming you and baby are ok). Decide in advance what you're ok with for the induction and tell them that.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I know you can do it..... Act like the induction is not going to change your birth much.... it's just a matter of how you start going into labor. Once you're in labor - you know what to do!!! PM me if you need anything.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Labs came back-- I don't have ICP!! That's excellent news because it means Baby Patrick is safe in there and I don't have to be induced.

Unfortunately my version didn't work, so I might have to have a c-section. My birthing center won't do vaginal breech deliveries. I get to try another version next week if I want, though. I really REALLY hope I can get him to turn. I've been so looking forward to that moment when he finally emerges and they put him on my chest.
Iím rocking my baby and babies donít keep.
July 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YEAH for NO ICP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*throws a ton of flipping dust at you*
July 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Turn baby turn!!! Glad things are ok!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hope baby turns for you!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
July 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
regan I asked you this in our ddc, but i cant find the post to see if you replied. Have you tried acupuncture? or sitting on the floor indian style really helps to get baby to go head down. also my cousin got her son to turn the day before her c-section by sitting in a pretty warm bathtub and then putting tons of ice on her belly and her hubby shined a flash light (waterproof of course, one for camping so it was really bright) up her girly parts and low and behold when she went in she begged them to check with an ultrasound (she had to pay out of pocket because it wasn't medically necessary, it was $100.00) to be 100% absolutely sure he was still breech and he was head down and at -1 station! she went into labor on her own 5 days later!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm so happy you don't have the ICP!! Yay!!! I really hope the baby turns soon. Good luck hun!!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great news on the ICP!!! Congrats!!!

Now FLIP baby!!!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search