A question for birth center moms

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM
bigplantnerd
Hello. Suppose I should introduce myself. I'm expecting my first baby in November and if all continues to go well I will be delivering at a brand new birth center here in the Charlotte area!!! My question is regarding baby care and pediatrician visit following a home or birth center birth. When should I plan on bringing baby to the doctor for his first check up and how do I schedule an appointment when the date is TBD? Also, any idea how I would handle circumcision (I know people feel strongly on this topic but I am not interested in discussing it)? Do they do this in office or only at the hospital?

Thanks!
July 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwife does the circumcision at the birthing center 8 days after birth. She also does the first 2 newborn checkups. I took my daughter to the peds office for her 2 week checkup. Just wait until a few days after they are born and call your ped to schedule an appointment. You need to speak with your midwife/doctor to find out how they do these things at your birthing center because they are all different.

Welcome!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
congrats and welcome.

You will have to talk to your ped to see when they want to see them.
My ped knows my midwife so it was easier knowing for me. But the midwife did the day she was born check of course, and my ped wanted to see her 24-48 hours after birth. She said most heart defects can be detected at that time, also they check on weight gain/loss at that time. Avery was born on Saturday morning and we went to her 2 day check with the midwife and her ped on the following Monday. Because she was slightly jaundice and had to be tested we went back to the peds thursday. She was fine and did not need to be retested but they did a weight check as well. She then goes next week for her 2 week with the midwife and goes for a 1 month with the ped.

As far as circ; I had a girl and we were not going to to circ so the only thing I found out was the docs experience with un cut boys. She's an awesome pd though so Ishould have known it didn't matter

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Welcome! I'm Cheryl, a cohost here and mommy to Acadia, 18 months. I have not given birth at a birth center but you might find some more info here- http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...h-centers.html (Birth Centers).

I hope you stick around with us!!
July 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
hello! our birth center said a pediatrician usually comes by to check the baby. also your pediatrician will make recommendations on when they want to see the baby, ours sais asap after birth. i had a hospital transfer so i cannot answer about the ped at the birth center, we saw the ped twice in the hospital.

July 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My MW was also a Nurse Practitioner, so she was our ped initially and did it all. I know not everyone has that option though, so I guess that isn't much help.

As far as circing goes, it varies, and in many cases anymore it is considered an elective cosmetic surgery, so many times you have to schedule for yourself anyway.

GL and welcome!

July 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwives did a 1 and 3 day visit after the birth, and then we scheduled her 2 month appointment after she was born.

Expecting baby #4!

July 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my second son at the birth center and they had a ped check him the day he was born. My own ped also said he wanted to see the baby 24-48 hours after birth so we took him in the next day. We just made the appointment the day he was born. We did have him circ'd and the birth center did that when he was about 2 weeks old.

We had wanted a home birth for this baby but it's not working out that way so we'll be back at the same birth center for this one. I assume since it's only been 2 years since I gave birth there the protocol is still the same.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

July 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our birth center had a list of pediatricians that they worked with, but we decided to choose one who was closer to us and in-network. The center required that you make an appointment 48-72 after birth. Of course, they did shadow care and did all of the labs that he needed. We called the day of his birth to make an appointment and it was no big deal.

As far as circumcision, our birth center actually works with a Rabbi that they love and he was recommended to us. We called and set it up with no problem. I'd imagine that if you want it done at a hospital you will need to make an appointment with your Pediatrician and find out who does it there (if you wait awhile it'll have to be a Pedi Urologist most times).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search