Finally watched it!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
So, I'm at my Mom's house, and they have Showtime. When I was looking at upcoming movies, I saw that The Business of Being Born was coming. So I recorded it. It was so great! I cried with every birth. However...I was disappointed. It seemed, I don't know, shallow? It seemed to skim the surface and didn't really dig in very deep. Or maybe I just know to much already? I imagine, for the normal mom that didn't have to go through so much to VBA2C or have a natural delivery, that the information would have been ground shaking.

Am I alone in this opinion?

My Ovulation Chart

July 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't seen it yet, but that's probably an accurate observation. I think those types of movies/books are meant to expose a large number of people to a new topic and a different way of thinking. For instance, I read a book recently and loved it, thought the information was very eye-opening, etc. But I read reviews online and for many, it wasn't new information so they were a little disappointed because they had expected more information.

I still really want to see the movie. I wish I got showtime.

July 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I watched it befor eI was pregnant and at that point I knew nothing about natural childbirth so I thought it was REALLY informative. But I think if I were to watch it now, I'd feel the same way as you.
July 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
michelle- you can watch it on netflix online, if you do not have an account, you can do a free trial

July 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I really liked it but I wasn't expecting to learn much. I don't think we are the target audience.
July 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ITA..I did the nexflix free trial to watch it a couple weeks ago and thought the exact same thing. It didn't get deep enough into homebirth or the hopsital situation. It was shallow on both front for me..and didn't really teach me anything. I did love the "are they on pit" "just make sure their on pit" "check to see that she's been started on pit" that had me laughing and frowning all at the same time..very true with a hospital situation. They tried (two nurses and my midwife) to start me several times during Jack's brith for no reason at all.....absurd. Anyways...yeah, I ordered Pregnancy in America and can't wait to watch it .should be here tomm.

July 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
grace4me's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to grace4me
Just popping in here! I bought the dvd at the urging of my doula. DH and I haven't watched it yet but I did read the book "Your best birth" and felt the same way as you ladies...wasn't that informative to me, IMO and was just a lot of quotes from Ina May Gaskin. Made me almost wish I would have just read another one of her books! Maybe they are reaching another audience with the book and this documentary!

thank you Jessica (dettmer26) for another amazing siggy

July 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't yet seen it, but it sounds like it's probably geared more towards those who do not have a lot of knowledge and education regarding NCB.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
July 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I was recommended to watch it from a friend and absolutely loved it. Still do. Yes, I feel now that it doesn't delve deep enough, but when I first watched it, I was shocked by a lot of the stuff in there. It was a fantastic eye opener for me and probably was the catapult that got me really researching and learning as much as I could about home births and to get the heck away from hospitals lol. It was also a huge eye opener for DH, who was against home birth until he saw it.

July 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I watched it without knowing anything about natural childbirth. I went from wanting a voluntary c-section when I found out I was pregnant, to definitely wanting an epidural, to learning about natural childbirth after seeing that movie. I was clueless about anything related to pregnancy, labor and delivery. (my pregnancy was unplanned, I never planned to have children). But, I can def see where those who already know a lot of that info might now be so affected by it. I literally had no clue. i would have been one of those women who went into the hospital and they say "you aren't progressing, we are going to start pitocin" and would have said "ok", assuming they knew best. Now I know that things don't have to happen that way, but my quest for knowledge came from seeing that movie.
July 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I have no doubt that is is a great documentary for so many women, and I'm so happy to see something like that "out there". That is awesome that it's helped open the eyes of so many of you.

Maybe she just needs to make another one that delves deeper for all the rest of us. LOL!

My Ovulation Chart

July 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will definitely check out Netflix. I like the free trials but I always forget to drop them before the time period is up.

July 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I enjoyed it, but didn't learn a whole lot. What I did get out of it though is some nice visuals of peaceful births. When I visualize my birth, I see myself being calm and relaxed like the women in the movie, and I think that's really valuable.

The other great thing I got out of it is a converted husband!!! He was convinced that my desire for an NCB was based on my desire to be macho and prove I could, and that I was putting my baby at risk. After he saw that movie, he completely reversed his opinion and now is my biggest supporter. Can't put a price on that!!!
Iím rocking my baby and babies donít keep.
July 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
it opened up my eyes a lot! i watched it while i was reading a lot of books so it tied everything together for me! it def motivated me to have my NCB! i made DH and my mom watch it because they were weary of the whole MW and NCB situation, they thought i was crazy until they watched it and then understood. DH said thats it you are NOT having ANY interventions, end of discussion lol. so i recommend having anybody who is uneducated that will be attending your birth watch it because it kind of helps them get on the same page as you, without you having to explain everything to them lol.
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

July 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I watched it. While I didn't get a lot of information I didn't know I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It definitely is geared more towards those that are clueless but that is very important at this point.

I too loved the peaceful birth scenes-especially the water birth ones as that is what I am aiming for. I cried quite a bit when each baby was born.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not learn much from it, and felt that it was very surface. I also felt it only showed one small facet of natural child birth and neglected the fact that you can have a 100% natural and drug free childbirth in a hospital. Depending on the hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search