Evening Primrose Oil

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it during my last pregnancy. Not as faithfully as I should though. It is common to use EPO vaginally.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take it twice a day orally and at bedtime vaginally. My m/w really says vaginally is the only way to go. (poke a hole in it before insertion)
July 23rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
She wants you to put in SIX a day?? Or did I read that wrong? I've had serious preggo brain lately, doing some of the stupidest things, so if I read it wrong I apologize.

That said, six seems excessive lol and gross, that stuff would be leaking out forever. I take it twice daily and insert once at night. Or I did till I thought my water was leaking, but now that I'm sure it's not my water, I'm going to start putting it in again.

July 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ok..i plan on doing this so i need some specifics, if y'all don't mind sharing

1. where do yu buy it?
2. what brand?
3. this is like a softgel type thing?
4. when do you start?
5. what dosage does everyone use...it sounds so all over the place??

July 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
1. Got mine at Target, but hear Wal Mart has it, too. I paid 6 dollars for a bottle of a hundred 1000 pills.
2. Don't think it matters. Target only had one kind.
3. Yes, it's a softgel.
4. I believe you're supposed to start at 37 weeks.
5. Most people I know take 2-3 500 pills a day, then insert one vaginally at night. Mine are 1000 pills (it's all Target had), so I started with 1 daily, one vaginally, then bumped to two by mouth and one vaginally.

HTH a bit!

July 23rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think there are different mgs so maybe she wanted you to do 6 lower mg ones? I remember starting with one, going up to 2 then finally 3 a night. My hubby had to do it for me because there was no way I could reach around my big belly and then try to reach my cervix too. Maybe I have freakishly short arms.
July 24th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cool thanks! That does help : )

July 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is this for? I am pregnant with my first and have been doing a lot of reading, but havne't come across it yet.
July 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Very useful info. I don't have a midwife and Im sure my regular doc won't tell me to do this because they didn't tell me with DD.

What is it supposed to do?

How far do you stick it up and how do you know if its in the right place?

TMI question but does the whole thing dissolve or does some fall out?

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
July 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. where do yu buy it? Got mine with my gentle birth formula from this site- Pregnancy - Evening Primrose Oil ~ Herbal Extracts from Mountain Meadow Herbs Herbal Extracts from Mountain Meadow Herbs
2. what brand? Mountain meadow herbs
3. this is like a softgel type thing? softgel (they all are to my knowledge)
4. when do you start? 36 weeks
5. what dosage does everyone use...it sounds so all over the place?? 2-3 times a day orally and one inserted into vagina at bedtime. (from personal experience-its best to do BEFORE sex! LOL After sex it more messy and the sperm get pulled out with your fingers putting in the pills).

What is it supposed to do? It is suppose to soften up your cervix (its NOT an induction method, its a PRIMER method. It makes your cervix easier to efface quickly)

How far do you stick it up and how do you know if its in the right place? Just stick it up has high as you can, there is no real right place. I can feel my cervix open a touch and I actually push mine up into my cervix. But I have a small bump and I dont' know if that possible for all.

TMI question but does the whole thing dissolve or does some fall out? I have never had any come out (and I have sex with mine in!) and I barely have any oil come out either, I don't wear a pad, I just wear underwear/boxers to bed.
July 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok - thanks ladies!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
July 31st, 2009, 11:09 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i just bought mine tonight. at whole foods - they are 500mg each (no clue what brand they are) never talked to my cnm about it, but i will on my appt tuesday! i plan on taking 2000mg a day - 1000 orally in the morning, 1000 vaginally at night! i had to use a vag. suppository after my iui and i just stuck it up as far as i could reach then so i plan on doing this the same way! im guna take my first 2 in the AM! I am pretty pumped

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm doing the same as Chelsea-- two pills orally in the morning (500 mg each) and another two vaginally at night. I have a huge belly and can barely reach, but if I squat and bear down a little I can get them in pretty far. They are gel caps, and I usually have a little oily discharge in the morning but the capsule seems to completely disappear.

Angela, why do you poke a hole in them first? I'd worry that it sould squirt all over while I"m trying to insert them if I did that!

Someone in my DDC suggested using them as lube too-- her midwife said she could open the pill and put it on DH's penis before sex. I don't think I could convince my DH to do that, though.
Iím rocking my baby and babies donít keep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search