Most important reason you chose NCB?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am thinking about starting my birth plan and I am in the process of gathering all the reasons in my mind of why I want a natural child birth. I thought it might be helpful to hear everyone's number one reason for choosing a natural childbirth, or against a certain intervention/medication. So, if anyone wants to share.... Thanks!
July 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Safety and health of myself and my baby. That's number one hands down.

July 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
For me, childbirth in and of itself has certain risks. I choose NCB because it minimizes those risks and doesn't add any others. ANY intervention raises risks.

I also believe in the physiology of natural birth. I believe our bodies were designed to give birth and that the majority of women are fully capable of doing it. It breaks my heart to see so many women who believe their bodies just don't work right when it's not often the case.

I love knowing I haven't put anything into my babies that has the potential to harm them. While there are no studies proving resultant problems, there are plenty that strongly indicate them. (anywhere from increased cases of jaundice to possible links to Autism)

I absolutely love the exhilaration you feel afterwards.

I feel strongly that all women who will be giving birth needs to educate themselves on the possible risks, side effects AND benefits of labor interventions. You can't know that your labor will go perfectly, so if you go in knowing when certain interventions are useful and prepared to be informed and part of the decision making process you can usually minimize them. Granted there are situations where you cannot avoid them, thus the reason you need to be informed AHEAD of time.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Trying to do all I can to have a vaginal delivery and any intervention compromises my chance of that.

I also want to be as present and aware of everything that the baby and I experience together on his/her birthday.
July 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I'd say doing things the way they were intended...what feels right and natural. Second yet still highly highly important is that it is what is best for my body and my baby.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del4 View Post
Safety and health of myself and my baby. That's number one hands down.
i agree!!!!!!!

July 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been medication free throughout this pregnancy.... I have not taken any pain meds for headache or sore muscles, no cold medicines... I have been eating alot healthier since I found out I was pregnant...

I personally do not believe that I should start with pain meds when it comes to delivery and have that pass onto my baby and the risk of the meds.... I just want to do all drug free, since I made it this far why cave in for some pain in the end... I want an alert baby not a drugged up medicated one....
July 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
safety. Safety for me and for baby. Interventions do save lives, but only when they are truely warrented, which is less then 15% of the time!!!! Even then, minor intervention is usually what is needed.

July 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i wanted to experience natural child birth for what it is in it's purest form. secondly, i did not want any medications or unnecessary interventions, as that is how i live my life, why should childbirth be any different? unfortunately i did need a c-section but did get to experience over 24 hours of natural, drug free labor

July 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I started thinking about NCB after reading about interventions and how they actually made labor more difficult, like pitocin and epidurals. I never planned to have children, so honestly, I didn't know a whole lot about labor and deliver, outside of what I have seen on TV. So... I assumed that labors should be induced if they weren't "progressing" and epidurals were the end all, be all for pain, and C-sections were only done when absolutley necessary. I am glad I started educating myself, and I wish everyone would. I know SO many people who go into it assuming they will know what to do, or be informed what to do, once in the delivery room!

I love all the info on this board! Thanks again!
July 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Tanya, do you have someone who is going to be with you in labor (mom, friend...etc?). if not I definitely recommend looking into a doula in your situation.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SAFETY! I worked in L&D and saw what we cause most the time and I wanted nothing to do with it!
July 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
omgzkayla's Avatar Super Mommy
i dont really know why i want a natural birth i just hate all the medical-y stuff, i want it to be like its been for 1000s of years
July 27th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
For me the instant I found out I was pregnant with my first I knew that I had to do whatever was in my power to protect him. I began doing research and found that the absolute safest way to give birth was naturally and so I decided that I'd do that no matter what it felt like. So I guess for me, the most important reason was having the safest delivery possible.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 27th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Kelli - Rob (baby's father) is going into the delivery room with me. I have a mid-wife, but she is through a medical practice, so I still have a lot of questions to ask her now that I know what to ask. If I don't feel comfortable that she will advocate for me, I am going to look into a doula. I am not sure if I can afford one though! I have no clue what they charge.
July 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I went into my first with an open mind leaning towards med free, the risks and side effects for the epi scared me. Once I went into labour I knew the only way I could deal with it was if I was in complete control of my body. After the birth I felt GREAT. This time around we are going to birth center. The worst part of birth for me was having to stay at the hospital afterwards!
July 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Avoiding the epidural was my #1 reason! I hate them!!!

I also felt like women all over the world do this, why can't I. Just because I live in a "civilized" society doesn't mean that I cannot allow my body to do what it was made to do, KWIM?

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 27th, 2009, 02:12 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I originally started researching NCB because I was interested in birthing in water and wanted full range of mobility during labor. As I researched and found out more I could easily then add that it was safer for baby, and in most cases, for me too.
July 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Unnecessary interventions lead to C-sections. Those suck. That's pretty much it for me.

Come visit my blog!
July 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My first birth was fast, and I didn't have the epidural until I was 10cm. I think my #1 reason was that, I did it once, I can do it again! Then I realized that I wanted the care of a midwife over an OB and that was enough to convince me.

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search