It may be a little early to worry, but can I refuse an induction.

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Veteran
My first child was born by induction at 41 weeks exactly. At which time I was having no BH or any other sign that labor was on it's way. Plus it never occurred to me back then to question anything. To make a long story short the induction went "fine" but I wasn't at pleased with the overall experience. And it almost lead to a C-Section.

My current doc says that she plans to do the same thing and induce on the 41 week mark. "Otherwise we would be asking for trouble" were her words.

Can anyone make some suggestions, just in case I hit 40 weeks and she's ready to schedule?
July 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
The midwives at my birth center said that at 41 weeks they start do NSTs and will let you go until 42 weeks, at 42 weeks you get a hospital transfer and induction. You can just try to insist on daily NSTs to monitor you and the baby. Hopefully you will not go that late again and can avoid dealing with her. Have her schedule the induction for your 42 week mark.

July 27th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Well I can confidently tell you that she is wrong. Waiting past 41 weeks is not asking for trouble in any sense of the word. Babies generally come when they are ready to come and inducing when there is no actual risk to you or the baby actually PUTS risk to you and the baby. I was induced at 41 weeks 1 day with my first and it was a terrible experience. I still was able to deliver him naturally but it was not easy and completely unnecessary.

My advice is to tell her that you want to wait until 42 weeks. If she pushes you on it then you don't have to show up at the hospital. As long as you are feeling fine, the baby is moving regularly and all else is well there is no reason at all to induce.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Veteran
DH more fearful of refusing induction. Since my 41 week mark is Friday, August 28the most he is comfortable with is Sept 1 which happens to be my birthday, and will buy me an extra weekend to actually come naturally. So I'm hoping OBGYN is comfortable enough with that to understand my desire to go into labor naturally.
July 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I would just refuse or "miss" my appointment
July 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Who says doctors know everything? God made your body and the baby and it is not just going to stay in there. They can't tell you an exact due date unless you know the exact date you conceived!!

I was induced with my first, who is 8 and I am just over 39 weeks now. I will refuse an induction at all costs...unless they can prove to me my baby is in jeopardy.

Inductions are a convenient way for the doctor to schedule you to deliver when they will be on call or available. It generally makes labor longer and the contractions a little harder (from what I hear, I have nothing to compare it to yet). And the first intervention...pitocin, could lead to others.

Have peace...God is the one with the perfect timing.
July 27th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everything everyone else has said. Mine came at 42 weeks exactly and was perfectly baked.

July 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't have much to add except that I agree! Have her schedule it for the 42 week mark if she has to...
July 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Agree with everyone! Was induced at 38wks6d with the twins and everything went perfectly, thank God. I decided I wanted a NCB with my next and went to 42wks2d. He was perfect when he came out.

I am 40wks1d right now and plan to wait till he is ready. Even if that goes past what I did with my last. I know he will come in his own time. (Even if I am anxious as all heck to meet him!!)

July 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm waiting also...I will not be induced unless there is a medical reason to do so. And time isn't a risk to me...I was born at 44 weeks 1 day and was a small baby---if they would have induced my mom back then I most likely wouldn't be here....so I guess that makes me pretty biased on the topic. I will be getting NST once I hit 41 weeks 5 days though.
July 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Veteran
It's great to get so much encouragement to let nature take its course.

My initial concern was that I missed out on knowing what labor is really like with my first so it's really important to me that I take this opportunity. But after studying how hospitals lead to pit which leads to epi which leads to C-Section, which I was minutes from with my first. I'm more anxious to avoid Induction.

I have no problem with intervention. Thank God for modern medicine. But there is way to much un necessary intervention.
July 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
due dates are an estimate.....this article explains things well http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...you-think.html (The Lie of the EDD- Why Your Due Date Isn't When You Think).

Also check out "the thinking woman's guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer
July 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others, I do not think you can say that if you do not induce at 41 weeks there will be trouble, I think you need to prove that there is trouble before you take drastic measures.
July 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
41 is the new 42 weeks... that is when some risks do increase, but not much at all. Ask for facts and numbers, don't just let her boss you around!

July 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would wait. There are some increased risks with going post dates, but generally it is the best idea.

You have to take into account your personal history, which is going past the EDD. So it would be very likely it will happen again, but still not garunteed. What is your normal cycle length? Most OBs will only use the spinny wheel to determine an EDD, but if you have long cycles it is NOT accurate. Or if you have 'normal' cycles, but ovulate late (like I do) then the EDD is off too! I have about a 28-32 day cycle, but normally O on CD 18-22, which can put me up to 8 days 'behind' when estimating my DD using the wheel since it is based on a 28 day cycle with ovulaiton on CD 14.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Agree with all the others. Talk to your doctor asap and tell her your concerns, and try to compromise (like starting NSTs after 41 weeks). My doctor scheduled me for an induction, and I refused by going to a new doctor a few days later.

July 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i agree with everyone else! my midwife told me if i get close to 42w (hopefully I can avoid an induction all together, but i do have mild pre-eclampsia) or if they think they might need to induce me earlier, to start using acupuncture to get my little girl here. While it is technically an induction, it requires no medicine, no one trying to break my bag, nothing of that nature. One of my friends was at 42w3d and her midwife told her to try acupuncture before she did the hospital transfer (baby didn't do the best on her NST) and the night of her acupuncture she went into full blown labor and had a beautifully drug free NCB with an 11lb 14oz baby girl!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Veteran
According to my last cycle I was supposed to be "Due" on the 8th but according to my ultra sound it was pushed to the 21st. So I'm hoping the ultrasound works in my favor to buy some time.

I just had my 36 1/2 week appoint and she checked me and found no signs of any progression. Poo!!!
July 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
It is absolutely normal to have no progress at 36 weeks. It's absolutely normal to have none at 40 weeks!! Internals don't do anything in regards to telling you when labor will begin, so please don't put all your hopes on those. In fact, I'd start refusing them, as well because knowing where you're at doesn't help at all. If you're at a 4, you could still not go into labor for WEEKS and if you're at a fingertip, you could go into labor that night! Those checks really hold no value at all unless you personally feel like you NEED to know.

GL getting your NCB!!!

July 31st, 2009, 06:48 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del4 View Post
It is absolutely normal to have no progress at 36 weeks. It's absolutely normal to have none at 40 weeks!! Internals don't do anything in regards to telling you when labor will begin, so please don't put all your hopes on those. In fact, I'd start refusing them, as well because knowing where you're at doesn't help at all. If you're at a 4, you could still not go into labor for WEEKS and if you're at a fingertip, you could go into labor that night! Those checks really hold no value at all unless you personally feel like you NEED to know.

GL getting your NCB!!!
Big ditto!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search