2nd child 1st NCB- Encouragement PLEASE

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hi!

I am new to this board, but so glad I found it!! I was up til 2:30 this AM reading the ncb stories. I also read the article about the epi death! If that is not enough to scare an epi option out of me, I don't know what else would be!!

I am a big sissy with pain, but I am determined to have a ncb. With my daughter, 8, I was induced after being 10 days late. I was barely dialated to 1cm when I went in. Contractions started, with no success at producing results. They didn't hurt (just felt like strong bh contractions) so, after 8 hrs it was nearing midnight and they gave me a sedative to get me to sleeep and try again in the am. I was dozing off and the did the "sleep jolt/jerk" and my H2O broke. Then the contractions hit hard. They gave me IV pain meds without even asking. I didn't know better, I was only 22. I felt drunk and somehow managed to slep bet. contractions, which were coming every min or so...how can one fall asleep so quickly??

My epidural came, no problems, except I could move my own legs or feel really when to push. When she was coming out they had to use the "vaccuum". When my daughter was born we both had fevers. They had to put an IV in her tiny arm. I was so groggy and out of it I could not even enjoy the "after glow" and definately had no euphoric experience afterwards. Just a hangover!!!

5 years later we found out my daughter had a cyst in her head the size of a lime. It was there since birth. Who's to say it wan't due to the vaccuum? I am not convinced!!! No forceps, or vaccuum for me this time. If it wasn't for the epi, I am sure I could have pushed her out on my own!!

Anyway, I have decided to go all natural. My best friend who is very passionate about ncb is going to be ther to be by unofficial doula. My worry is my hubby. He thinks I am crazy about no meds.

I keep praying the fear of the pain to go away. I'd like to hear some pain meds/epi horror stories to help encourage me further...got any??

Last edited by care7407; July 27th, 2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Notification change
July 27th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
If you really want it- you can do it. I labored for almost 18 hours with back labor. I was mostly in water and yes the pain was very intense at times. I pushed for 3-4 hours and then we did have to transport to the hospital for him to be delivered. Like you I had the epi and forceps used to deliver him. He was born within 20-30 minutes of being at the hospital. I think his positioning and the fact that I was truly exhausted contributed to me not being able to push him out. What I would have done differently- maybe this can help you. Sleep during early labor, if you can. Eat during labor. At the very least have someone spoon feed you honey. When I think back about my labor I soooo wish someone would have fed me SOMETHING! LOL During contractions I was able to vocalize with "mmmm" and "aahhh" that was very helpful for some reason. Your body was made to birth your baby. Don't give into the fear because it will cause the pain to get worse and lead to panic. Hope this is of some help.

July 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I will respond, but right now I am absolutely exhausted. I'm only posting this reply because I don't want you to think you're not being answered or your post isn't being read. I will reply in the morning, if that's okay.

July 28th, 2009, 05:22 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do it! I went all natural/drug free with my second and it was wonderful. I did not feel the pain was so bad because I was in control of it, if that makes any sense.
July 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is my 2nd child but first NCB as well. Sometimes I get scared of what the pain will be like and then I go through all of the reasons why I want a NCB and I get excited again about it. Hopefully you can get your hubby on board with you because Im sure that would be hard to have your NCB when he isn't rooting for you.

Of course there will be pain. You can't deny that. Its how you plan to get through it that counts - well at least thats what I think. I have never done it before. : ) I told my doula and DH to encourage me a lot and I want to get in the shower and/or bath to help with pain.

GL and I hope you get the birth you are looking for!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
July 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I too am going for an all natural child birth this time, after having an Epidural with my first. We can do this, our bodies were designed for childbirth! As the ladies say here... "Trust Birth". I hope we both get the experience we're looking for

July 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
You can do this! You should read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth if you haven't already and have your DH read it too. We are here to help you and if you have any questions, please just ask. I promise we'll support you along the way. Have you decided any methods to try? Are you going to an OB or midwives?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
5 natural childbirths, last 3 homebirths here, if I can do it anybody can do it. I am a wimp when it comes to pain, but labour pain is different

July 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I completely agree with Martina about labor pain being different. I hate needles, and I had a NCB with DS#2. I am looking forward to a NCB with #3 in about 9 months!!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 28th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay, sorry. I know I said I'd respond this morning lol.

I had an induced/epi birth first time around. It sucked. And it wasn't even bad, it just wasn't at all what I was expecting. And afterwards, I felt really sad about it, even though I knew nothing about childbirth except people get epidurals. That was pretty much it. Years later, I still looked back and wasn't happy. I still look back at that birth unsatisfied, even though I've come to terms with it.

I had a NCB with Reicher and while I lost control during transition (only about 45minutes to an hour of my whole labor), it was by far one of the best things I've ever done in my whole life. BY FAR. I can't even begin to explain how wonderful it was afterwards to know I did it and my baby was safe and healthy and that I wasn't drugged out of my mind and could spend as much time with him as possible. It was a completely different experience. And I recovered so much faster.

I plan on another NCB this time and am actually excited about it. Can't wait to go into labor this time! No fear, just anxious to get it going.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search