Mortality sucks.....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2009, 05:39 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
So two weeks ago, my grandmother had two major surgeries on her heart. Keep in mind that she is nearly 80 years old. She had an anuerism(sp??) removed from her heart plus an aortic bypass done in the same day to avoid doing two at different times. Well now in the last two weeks she has had a stroke, her kidneys have failed and her lungs no longer function on their own so she has been intibated for nearly a week now.

My mom, uncle and aunt met with the doctors this morning and they were told that my grandmother can't survive with out kidney dialysis AND the lung ventilator. If they stopped either one, then she will die. And when that happens it will have been the fifth death between mine and DH's family in five years.... and I don't know if I can handle that. I want to go and see her to say good bye but at the same time I don't want to remember her with a tube down her throat and hooked up to a bunch of machines.....

July 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry. You should go see her if you are able to. If it were me- I would want to be surrounded by the people I love before I pass.

July 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I'm so sorry you are going through this Ashley. It definitely sounds like a really hard time for your family. I hope your grandmother gets better, but if not I pray for peace for you.

Come visit my blog!
July 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknok View Post
I'm so sorry you are going through this Ashley. It definitely sounds like a really hard time for your family. I hope your grandmother gets better, but if not I pray for peace for you.
Thanks Nikki! I know that she isn't going to get better unless we get a miracle but I am hoping that she suffers as little as possible (although the doctors assure us that she is in no pain) and that it is over quickly. My entire family knows that the last thing that she would/does want is to be kept alive only by machines, but I would like for our family to have enough time to say goodbye to her.

July 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I am sorry. Death is never easy.

July 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I just went through this with my uncle. It is so hard. Im sorry that you are losing your grandmother. My uncle was being kept alive with blood pressure medicine and his kidneys had also failed so we took him off. Its sad they are gone but I know I would never want to be alive like that. And I know it was him but it was just his body. I think just keeping their body alive doesnt mean their spirit is still there if you believe in those things. I know I do and it made it easier for me. I know its hard but you might want to go say goodbye to her. You will remember the good times too. Hugs!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 29th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm so sorry Ashley. I wish I were there to give you a big hug. Please know you and your family are in my T&P. **HUGS**

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

July 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah it has been hard but it looks like things may not be as bad as the doctor said. My mom met with the cardiologist (I think) and he was saying that he was happy with how much progress that she has been making. They took her off of dialysis yesterday to see how she does, I have yet to hear how that went. They also put in a bigger ventilation tube to help her breath better but (yay) they also turned down how much oxygen she was getting from the ventilator. So hopefully things will keep getting better and not worse.

July 29th, 2009, 08:47 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. I went through this with my grandfather. I hated seeing him on those machines but I really felt deep down that he knew I was there with him. It's so hard. (((hugs))) Hoping for the best for you and your family.
July 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
July 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry. *hugs* My grandmother was in a similar situation and did end up passing. I'm glad your grandmother is showing signs of progress. I think either way it goes, I would recommend going to see her. If she is even a little bit aware of what is going on around her it will bring her comfort. And in my experience, even when you know that a family member is hooked up to machines and don't want to see them that way, once you go in and kind of get over the initial "shock" it's easier than you would think. But that's me, just go with your strongest feelings, you know?

July 29th, 2009, 07:12 PM
So I talked to my mom this morning and there has been no change. They had to put her back on dialysis and she is still on the ventilator, with no sign of anything changing. This is really hard on my mom since it's been so hot she can't even drive to the hospital to see her because she may faint just going from the car to the hospital door.

Right now I'm just hoping that she will make a hugs turn around and get all better... but I feel like that is just setting me up for a huge devastation when something bad happens.

July 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
oops double post

Last edited by AshleyMarie; July 29th, 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: dbl post
July 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
That's just awful Ashley, I'm sorry. These things are never easy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search