Breech - help please

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Hi ladies,

[I am x-posting this with my DDC.]

The past few days have been hellish for me. The baby has been flip-flopping constantly (enough to keep me awake at night) and yesterday I noticed that baby felt like they were head up (breech). I called my midwives and asked if this was normal at week 37 and they told me to come in immediately to get checked out. I went in and sure enough, baby is breech

She gave me a list of exercises to try and whenever I do them, it seems like the baby is trying to turn back but can't. I have an appointment scheduled today at 3:30pm with a chiropractor to attempt the Webster technique. I've never been to a chiropractor before. I really hope that this works and will update after I return. I also have another meeting with my midwife tomorrow afternoon to check on the baby. If this stuff (exercises and chiropractor) doesn't work, I'll have to go to the hospital and attempt an external version.

But....in the meantime, do any of you ladies have any advice on what else I can do at 37 weeks to get this baby to turn back to head down? Have any of you had previous breech babies that have turned last minute due to some technique you did? If so, what did you do?

Sorry for the length. I'm a bit freaked out right now. Baby has been head down for the past four months and for some reason, just decided to turn Thanks for listening.
July 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it makes you feel better, my older son was breech and flipped right around 38.5 weeks. I did not do anything to get him to flip, he just flipped. There are exercises you can do that can help the baby to flip. I hope it works! Good luck!
July 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard great things about acupuncture for turning the baby!!
July 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Reicher was breech till 35ish weeks. This little guy was breech even later. It took him a while to flip and when he did, he kept flopping back and forth lol. Was driving me crazy. I'm soo glad he's engaged now (only for about a week, though) and can't flip. That said, a breech baby is really nothing to be concerned about unless your care provider is unwilling to deliver a breech baby. If that's the case, you should ask to hold off on a cesarean until you are already in labor - giving the baby every possible chance to flip. Some breech babies will turn on their own in labor. And look up Optimal Fetal Positioning. You'll find many exercises that can help you turn baby. I've also heard of putting something really cold where baby's head is, and something warm down low to try and encourage baby to turn.

And last - If you care provider is willing to attempt a vaginal breech delivery, be sure he/she understands the SAFEST way for baby to be born vaginally in the breech position is for it to be as hands OFF as possible. Not pulling on baby or trying to twist him/her out. Most breech vaginal delivery stories I've read, mom knew exactly what to do when the time came and as long as people left her alone, she had no problems and neither did baby. I would read some Michel Odent about this, if I were you. (That's what I did when this little guy was flipping around). It made me feel so much more relaxed about his delivery.

GL!!!

July 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a bag of peas on your top of your fundus has been known to help, as has swimming/summersaults. Talk to your baby about turning. And check out spinningbabies.com

July 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately, my midwives won't deliver a breech baby vaginally. Is there any resource out there with a listing of midwives in different states who WILL deliver a breech baby vaginally? I live in Colorado and from what I have read, it's not illegal to deliver a breech baby vaginally.
July 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
acupuncture (actually moxibustion) can help, but is best prior to 36 weeks, HOWEVER, if you baby is still flipping around in there, there is room to turn and I would give it a shot. The webster chiro is another good way.

I hope you do not have to have an external version, but I had a c-section and would do anything possible to avoid one. My baby turned breech during labor, well after my water broke, so anything is possible, and your baby can turn heads down.

Good luck!!!

July 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you should ask your midwives if they know of anyone. There is no database as far as I know of.

July 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
since baby has been flipping around a lot I'd guess it still has enough room to flip back head down. If you can get him/her back to head down you might ask your midwives about belly binding to keep baby from flipping again...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
noworries
All these ladies have given great advice. I'd also recommend listening to the hypnobirthing script for turning breech babies if you can get your hands on it.
July 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't know of any database that collects info like that. Probably because most docs/midwives won't even consider vaginal breech delivery since none of them are taught what the heck to do now.

I forgot to say, when you are in labor, don't let them break your water if baby is still breech! That could cause baby to "lock in" to position and definitely won't be able to turn after that.

July 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yes, thank you very much for all of your advice and thoughts. I have an appointment today with a chiropractor to do the Webster technique. I'll keep updating.
July 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All I know about are pelvic rocks and some ancient chinese method of burning a certain type of herb by one of your toes. Sounds crazy, but supposedly it works (sorry I can't be more specific about that one). Good luck!

July 29th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I had the webster technique done when I was pregnant and when they apply pressure to a certain muscle it gives the baby more room to get comfortable for as long as they are applying pressure. I remember my son would wiggle like crazy and stretch out every time it was done. Babies love it. Hopefully it's beneficial for you and the chiropractor is able to get him to turn. Good luck!

July 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing to add, but good luck!

July 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Argh, this is my third time trying to respond to this!

Keep doing the Webster even if it doesn't work the first time, you may need 3 times a week!

Use spinningbabies.com and google "turn breech" and check out the pregnancy101 site.

Try pulsatilla.

I had a c-section and 2 ECV beofre number 4 turned on her own using those combos!

Oh, and for information on midwives/OBs that would be supportive, get on teh ican-online yahoo group. There are many knowledgable women there that are intent on preventing the first cut.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
PM me your email address, I will send you two awesome articles I have scanned from an old issue of Mothering magazine. One is a great one on the things you can do to get baby to turn yourself with good drawn diagrams for visuals. I can't post it on here because of copyright rules on JM. I will be home tomorrow evening (out of state right now) so I can send it to you by tomorrow night.

try not to panic too much, there is still time! Being proactive is the best line of defense. I would say if you can get in a pool try to be in there as much as possible aside from the exercises. Get on your back and float! I loved that when I was pregnant, it was such a relief to feel so light.
July 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now that I got this computer running a little better I can add some more. We are at my MIL's house and stuck in PC h#ll, I miss my iMac!

I agree with the PP that siad NOT to schedule a c-section, babies can and do turn at the last minute. Waiting until you go into labor will help you to know if the baby will turn, or if you do end up with a c-section it will give you peace of mind to know you did everything you could and not be as haunted by the surgery. I still wish I never had a c-section, but I know with the circumstances and Pat being a footling breech, following rupture of membranes, that there was really no other option. If I had known he was breech and tried everything to turn him. If i had just walked in a layed down to be cut, I know that years later I would have felt like I should have tried harder and at the very least waited until labor started naturally.

The day Evie flipped I had done my normal routine, which is slightly time consuming, but worth it IMO. I would start with the breech tilt, or inversion, butt piled up on a bunch of pillows, I worked up to doing it for about 15 minutes at a time. Then I would turn over on hands and knees and do the pelvic rocking (angry cat, saggin cow) which helps baby move around and opens up the pelvis and stretchees the uterus giving baby space. I would following that with the music in the pants and the massage described on the pregnany 101 site. Sometimes I would do the ice on the fundus. The day she turned I had done all that and then got in a pretty warm bath, when I went to sit up, I had been laying in the water so that my ears were unde the water and my belly was poking up, not attreactive, but it feels nice...lol. I may have even layed on my left side for a bit. When I went to sit up she flipped.

After I knew she had flipped I started doing all the things to help her engage, rocking on the ball, squats, etc. You don't want to do those things if the baby is breech because baby could engage butt first, not good! Don't sit in a recliner. If you sit on the couch either sit with feet on floor and leaning forward, or lay fully on your side with leg propped with a pillow between your legs. I think the spinningbabies site has more information on this with diagrams.

THis is probably information overlaod. But, it is worth it. I have experienced every type of birth, c-section, epidural, NCB, and medication free intervention filled with pitocin. The best was the two that I didn't have the epidural or other pain meds. It is worth it.

If youhave any questions I am here, the Queen of Breech...lol

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I hope you got the e-mail!!
August 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
I did Cheryl, thank you very much. I'm sorry that I didn't respond - I've been terrible about that lately (I think it's partly my pregnancy brain - at least that's what I'm blaming it on, lol).

I'm really grateful for the advice that you have given me, ladies. Thank you very much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search