Can you "regress" when you are dialted and efaced??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
So, I am 40 wks on Friday, July 31. Last Wed. I was told by my OB I was dialated to bet. 2-3 and 80% efaced. Today, one week later, I was told I am now only dialted bet 1-2 and 60% efaced. Is this even possible?? Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I was SO discouraged when I left the Doc's office. This will be my first NCB and I am already nervous and a little scared of what to expect. I was hoping to go in and find out I was at a 4 or something!!

Another thing....my arms and hands keep going numb. I was told this can be normal because the baby may be on a nerve. My doc said I am TOBP..just tired of being pregnant. He mentioned induction, but I do not want to be induced!!!
July 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Yes, just like any female animal in nature, a female human being can also regress during her labor. It happens in many different instances, like someone being in the birthing room who makes the laboring female uncomfortable, is threatening, etc.

I'm sorry that you're feeling discouraged. Hopefully, things work out for you.
July 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
100% possible. I have seen women regress many cm (heck my DDC just had someone do it to about 4 cm I believe). Its most common when women get nervous/scared....like animals we have a fight or flight reaction. If mom doesn't feel very relaxed and comfortable and safe then the body will not only stop labor it will regress it till you can find a "Safe" place to be. So if an animal was in labor and another animal was close enough to attack, mom's labor stops and she goes else where. Also I saw it ALL the time with moms on the 2nd or more kid who had a bad reaction/incident happen at a certain cm dilated (for example hit 6cm and "stalled" then needed a c/s)...when they get there again they just freeze or regress......the mind is a VERY POWERFUL Labor tool !!!!!!
Now the 60-70% and even 1-2 vs 2-3 cm ----well thats close enough that i could just be the difference between checkers also...its not like we can take a ruler up there! So I wouldn't count that as regressing any. They were with in 10% for effacement and 2cm +/- a 1cm for dilation---thats normal to me. (if we took 50 people had them check one mom--your going to get about that in variability)
July 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was it the same doctor both times? If not they can have different ways of checking you and it might not be accurate.

If you are really hoping for a NCB, skip the internals. They increase your risk of infection, artifical rupture of membranes and the doctor stripping your membranes against your will.

Your dilation and effacement at this point mean NOTHING and may only serve to get you upset and discouraged and lose faith in your perfectly capable body.

With baby number 3 I was not effaced or dilated at all on Thursday afternoon. Even after a few days of prodromal labor every night. Actually, my cervix was so high the MW couldn't even feel it. She was born on Sun morning at 3 am after only 4 hours of labor! If I had listened to the discouraging voice in my head I might have worked myself up enough to stall and prevent labor from happening.

Just relax. KNow that you body CAN do this, and let go of the discouragement. No woman ever didn't give birth. You will not be pregnant forever. Your body works just the way it is supposed to!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yeah, what Meg said! Skip the internals and focus on things you *can* do....walk, orgasms, rest up. Invision your cervix opening like a flower, do kegels, walk some more. You still could have some time left.
July 29th, 2009, 07:43 PM
yeah, what Meg said! Skip the internals and focus on things you *can* do....walk, orgasms, rest up. Invision your cervix opening like a flower, do kegels, walk some more. You still could have some time left.
July 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This happened at the birth center earlier this week. I wasn't at this birth, another assistant was on call. But the same midwife checked this mama- and she went from a very stretchy 8 down to a completely not stretchy 6cm, 4 durring a contraction. She ended up having her baby less then an hour after that final check. So regressing is really not an issue, especially before labor.

Getting dehydrated can also be a factor, from what I've heard.

July 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I regressed during labor. His heartrate was slowing down on it's own, and the doctor was saying we could lose our baby. He moved back up from a 0 station to a -2. I ended up with a c-section.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
August 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First let me say that I hope baby makes his/her appearance asap for you!!!
I believe it is possible to regress but in your case it seems to me like you are not actually regressing - it is just the difference in the estimate of the person checking. Even if the same person is doing the checking on a different day they might estimate it differently. Like the other posts mentioned, they can't take a ruler up there.
I also skip routine cervical checks at the end of pregnancy for the reasons mentioned: too much of a mind game, don't want the doc trying to "help" me along by stripping membranes, also they are just plain uncomfortable so why do them if I don't have to.
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search