CDC says C-section triples Neonatal Death Risk

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
CDC Says Cesarean Triples Neonatal Death Risk - Associated Content

Yet, people will still opt for sections for no reason other than convenience. Sigh.

July 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I posted this in my DDC and people got mad at me! The thread got closed. I think it is sad, b/c people deserve to know.

July 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats ridiculous the thread got closed when you're just sharing an article talking about CDC facts!
July 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
I posted this in my DDC and people got mad at me! The thread got closed. I think it is sad, b/c people deserve to know.

I think it is ridiculous that the thread got closed as well... I didn't see any harm in you posting the info for the first timers who might just be opting for a c-section for convience.... I find it weird how one hormonal person can take that article out of context and the thread gets closed... I am happy you posted that thread, although I am not against c-sections if it is medically needed, or if its emergent life or death situation but I am against c-sections if the Dr wants to go on vacay or I wanted to pick the date of my kids birth and so on... I have a friend who choose a c-section so she could be off work longer and collectpaid-leave and also to cover up the fact that she lied about when she got pregnant just to keep her boyfriend....

I was actually more outraged with the ladies who took this whole article out of context and made a personal attack against you, which is what it seemed like to me, but I guess some people would rather not be informed or know the truth about something that is being overly used up to 40%!!!!!

Last edited by PinkFireFly; July 30th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
July 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah< someone in my DDC said that the article might make women who were forced to have a c-section feel bad or nervous. I, of course, said that people who had a warranted c-section have no need to feel bad, but people/doctors who do it out of convenience deserve to feel guilty because they are potentially harming the child for now reason.
Not a single response since. Typical.

July 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
I think it is ridiculous that the thread got closed as well... I didn't see any harm in you posting the info for the first timers who might just be opting for a c-section for convience.... I find it weird how one hormonal person can take that article out of context and the thread gets closed... I am happy you posted that thread, although I am not against c-sections if it is medically needed, or if its emergent life or death situation but I am against c-sections if the Dr wants to go on vacay or I wanted to pick the date of my kids birth and so on... I have a friend who choose a c-section so she could be off work longer and collectpaid-leave and also to cover up the fact that she lied about when she got pregnant just to keep her boyfriend....

I was actually more outraged with the ladies who took this whole article out of context and made a personal attack against you, which is what it seemed like to me, but I guess some people would rather not be informed or know the truth about something that is being overly used up to 40%!!!!!
Ya- I thought it was pretty rediculous, especially b/c I have never been anti-intervention, I am just pro- informed decision making!

I research things I'm not planning on doing so I can make an informed decision and know why my choices are the right ones. Sometimes that leads to a new decision.

What especially bugs me is that everyone talks about the mothers to blame for the high cesarean rate (44% in my community) and the doctors getting little to no responsibility or reprecaussions. Doctors are also calling things elective without parents knowing, I recently learned. For example a cesarean for breech or twins is charted as requested, not mandated. Same goes for inductions for big babies.

I really think that it is insurance companies- mainly goverment insurance like medicaid- that will create change. A cesarean is 3x as costly, so it really benefits them to keep the percentages lower. Eventually I think they'll stop paying for medically unwarrented procedures, and if insurance doesn't pay parents will ask questions, and many will also not pay or be able to pay.

Change is happening, and even if people get pissed at me I'll continue making posts that I feel are important. I see it in my community, and even here on the NCB board. People are looking for more mother and baby friendly options, rather then the "easy" and less safe way out. Like anything, it just takes time. And I am patient, with shoulders big enough to handle misdirected anger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrss View Post
Yeah< someone in my DDC said that the article might make women who were forced to have a c-section feel bad or nervous. I, of course, said that people who had a warranted c-section have no need to feel bad, but people/doctors who do it out of convenience deserve to feel guilty because they are potentially harming the child for now reason.
Not a single response since. Typical.
I think the people who get outraged over posts like this are the ones with some level of birth trauma, and I generally feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for someone who would rather stay blind to the risks. We're not in wonderland here!

July 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess some people enjoy "ignorance is bliss" well not in the case with my unborn child and my body....
July 31st, 2009, 05:46 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont understand why people would be offended, in my mind there is a world of difference between a medically necessary C-section and a non-medically necessary one.

I do not think it is the mothers that are to blame, I think it is the hospital/drs/ and insurance companies who are responsible for the problem.
July 31st, 2009, 07:16 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Of course you know if you posted an article talking about car seat or crib safety no one would have a problem with it.

July 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I can see what it got closed no anger allowed in the DDCs! Can't see why people freaked out so much, I don't even think they read the article because it says that its not using csections for pre-existing conditions, babies with APGARS less than 4, etc.

I still don't think this will change the mind of anyone going for an elective C-section. If they are doing that then they are probably not concerned with the risk of such a major surgery, the percentage is still too low to shock people. This study has been out for years and has no affect on csection rates. It is great info for women who are being pushed by their Drs to have sections because their babies are too big, or other non life threatening reasons.
July 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That article is a real eye-opener. It's too bad the article has been met with such hostility on other boards on JustMommies, because it is preaching to the choir here. Could really make a difference, save some lives, elsewhere...

August 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
shakes head for several reasons.... *sigh*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search