Sheesh!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Just a gripe about "Baby story" again

mom's first birth was drug-free, but because she was tired they did a vacuum extraction, cut an episiotomy and then she "naturally" tore past that - ended up with a 4th degree tear, lots of pain and trauma after the birth...

so to avoid that they opt for a c/s with baby #2 to (in mom's words) "take the easy way out". I don't get it at all....

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What did she say about the c-section after the fact?

Although... a fourth degree tear would be pretty traumatic. Still, I don't see why they need to jump to a c-section when every pregnancy/delivery is different. Mom probably voiced her fears to her OB early on and he/she jumped at the chance to do a c-section for convenience, you know?

July 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I had a vauum extraction, episiotomy and a tear with my first birth...and thats one reason I'm doing natural this time. Seems like she's got things a bit backwards...lol.

I says over and over in my hypnobabies NOT to watch those types of showes or listen to negative births and I'm really taking it to heart this time. I did way too much of that before my first birth. I'm trying hard to "re-program" my way of thinking.. : )

July 31st, 2009, 04:25 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see a lot of episodes because they are usually on when I am at work, but I have NEVER seen a natural child birth in one of them! Guess it just helps me to realize why, before I got pregnant and started learning, I thought that was the "normal" way to deliver a baby - induce, drugs, epi, and cutting you. I really thought a C-section WAS the easy way out. I am SO glad I am the type to gather lots of info before doing something!
July 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
seriously, why DO you ladies watch these shows?
July 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM
cause there's nothing else ON!! hahaha

I like seeing the newborn babies and Courtney likes seeing babies be born. Most of them don't bother me too much, I tend to ignore all but the last 10 minutes

July 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
What did she say about the c-section after the fact?
She was one of the lucky ones with an easy recovery so she was happy with her choice. She said at 4 weeks PPD she was feeling at 80% normal...

August 1st, 2009, 06:11 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My neighbor had a C-section with twins, I don't know the details of why. She was the same way, said recovery was really easy, she was walking around the next day, back in the gym in a couple months. Guess some folks are fast healers. I prefer not to take the chance.
August 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A friend of mine at work just told me she's having an elective c/s for baby number one. She said the baby is "measuring big," but she's only 32 weeks!!!! They already have the c-sections scheduled for 38 weeks. She said she asked the doctor what was better for the baby, and he said definitely a c-section since the baby didn't have to go through all the "trauma" of being born! Can you believe that?

I started to go off on my lecture about NCB and that c/s really are MAJOR surgery, but I quickly realized she had her mind made up and it was hopeless. *sigh*

I agree...those shows are awful. The only one I really like is House of Babies and I don't even know if that comes on anymore.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 1st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^I used to LOVE House of Babies..that was the Miami Birth Center right? Loved that one.

August 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wonder how much of the choice was because of the doctor.

I have a friend that had a 4th degree tear with her first (natural) birth. Before she was even out of the delivery room, her doctor was telling her that she might want to consider a c-section for future babies, because if she had another 4th degree tear, she could wind up incontinent. If you have your doctor giving you scare tactics like that, it's no wonder you might consider a few months of c-section recovery the "easy way" vs a lifetime of worrying about making it to the bathroom in time. (My friend is due with her 2nd in a month, and she is going for a vaginal delivery again, so the doctor's scare tactics didn't work.)
August 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
seriously, why DO you ladies watch these shows?
agreed! never watch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
She was one of the lucky ones with an easy recovery so she was happy with her choice. She said at 4 weeks PPD she was feeling at 80% normal...
4 weeks is a looooong time, esp with a newborn to care for.

August 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I had a 4th degree episiotomy and that made me want a NATURAL childbirth lol. I told my OB at my first appt I DO NOT WANT CUT AGAIN!!! They did that to me with a 7, yes SEVEN pound baby!! Give me a break! I delivered a 10 1/2 lb baby with nothing more than a tiny tear that didn't even require stitches, ugh!!!

Facebook
August 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
I bet the episiotomy caused it to tear more than it would have if left alone. I had a 2nd degree tear but it's completely healed over now whereas a c/s I would still be a little sore.

I think insurance companies should decline coverage for an elective c/s, but that's another topic for another day.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

EDD May 12th with identical twin GIRLS!!

August 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sheesh, it's been over 2 years for me but I STILL have minor issues from the c-section. Ugh.. This is going to come out sounding all wrong, but let me explain. I really hate it that some women have these wonderful recoveries from c-sections. Not that I am not relieved for them, but for the rest of us who don't, we have all this pressure to get back to normal within a few weeks, or days (seriously, way back when I was pregnant and trying to explain to my mom about not wanting to be induced, she told me that my aunt who had a c-section was sitting up in bed the next day). Is there any other major surgery where it's considered normal to send you home within a few days to care for a newborn, and sometimes older children, often entirely on your own because your husband has to go back to work?

LOL.. I guess I had to get that off my chest. Anyone else need the soapbox?

August 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Michelle- i TOTALLY agree. I get really irritated by women who tout their c-sections and rave about them. How great it was they avoided childbirth and how easy it was and how their recovery was fast. Or women who are jealous of mine. It is not something to covet.

Also, I wonder how active these women were PRIOR to their c-section and how much help they had at home after it. Being a super active person prior to the section, it killed me that i sat on a couch for two weeks, where another woman may think it is like a vacation! I know a few women who felt that way with their hospital stays. They loved doing nothing and being waited on. So not my personality.

August 2nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
Michelle- i TOTALLY agree. I get really irritated by women who tout their c-sections and rave about them. How great it was they avoided childbirth and how easy it was and how their recovery was fast. Or women who are jealous of mine. It is not something to covet.

Also, I wonder how active these women were PRIOR to their c-section and how much help they had at home after it. Being a super active person prior to the section, it killed me that i sat on a couch for two weeks, where another woman may think it is like a vacation! I know a few women who felt that way with their hospital stays. They loved doing nothing and being waited on. So not my personality.
Me too!! I remember my husband telling me when I was crying that all I was doing was sitting on the couch nursing and watching Lifetime that that was what I was supposed be doing. But at the same time, once I got home from the hospital I didn't have anyone taking care of me when dh went back to work. So I wanted to be able to get up and do more, because I had no one to wait on me. Also, like you I had to go back to work fairly quickly (ended up going back at 10 weeks, which was later than I had planned) because I was self-employed. Plus it seems like the longer you labor, the harder the recovery is. And both of us attempted natural, so it wasn't like we labored relaxing with an epidural either, kwim?

August 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, i remember the OB surgeon asking me before the surgery when i planned on going back to work and i said 4-5 weeks and she said, no you won't. I did not have a choice, a c-section was not in the plan!!!!

August 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
How are you doing now? 4 weeks was so soon. I had to go in at like 2.5 weeks for a few hours for paperwork, and I fought tears the entire time.

August 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have stopped watching Baby Story. They only seem to show births that they can edit to have some kind of drama and the drama always seems to involve epidurals, c/s and other interventions etc.
The last straw for me was this one where the woman was having twins and basically they did a c/s because mom didn't want to try pushing. She was a 10 in the OR getting ready for the c/s and the doc asked her, "are you sure you don't want to try pushing these babies out, just a couple pushes to see how you do" and she said something like - no, I'm too tired. I just couldn't watch anymore after that.
PS - DS#1 was a vacuum assisted birth and I had no episiotomy. I ended up with just a small tear.
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search