New Here

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Hello Ladies-

After a long talk with DH and then my midwife. I think I have decided to have a natural child birth, no pain meds. I have a reaction to all the pain meds I have tried so far. A reaction in the fact of panic attacks, thinking people are trying to kill me ect. I do not want to have this feeling during labor, in case I do have a reaction.

So I am here trying to get some advice and support. Most people IRL don't think I can do it. Which makes me feel like I can't but I don't want to have to deal with a panic attack and the stress/anxiety of labor.

Thanks
Shayna

Do not mention on FB
July 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Welcome! And you CAN do it! Just because they can't doesn't mean they should be telling you that you can't! Definitely stick around!

July 31st, 2009, 11:12 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im glad to see you here shayna!! NCB is the best thing you can do for you and your little princess!! Everytime someone tells me I won't be able to do it and I just bottle it up and will use that as motivation when the time comes for Brylie to introduce herself! I am very much the person who if someone tells me I can't do something, I will do it just to spite them! I hope you stick around

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
August 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
welcome to the board! you can totally do it!!! What have you done so far in preparation for a NCB? Have you read any books? Have you read Ina May's book?

August 1st, 2009, 05:14 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Shayna, I am pretty new here too, and can tell you that you will find a lot of support and great information!
August 1st, 2009, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! You can totally do it!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
August 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Jackate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would suggest Ina May's books as well...super good motivation. And then go from there : ) You can so do this!

August 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the warm welcomes ladies! I have not done anything yet to work on preparing as this is just a decision I made yesterday. I know a little late in the game! I am heading to Amazon now to look for that book, thanks!

Do not mention on FB
August 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Definitely check out the reading list sticky! Tons of good books on there. Also all the articles up top would be good to read to get you started, and of course, feel free to ask questions!

August 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I have been looking around and been reading. Once DH gets paid I am going to order that book.

Do not mention on FB
August 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to give you more support! You can do it! That would be scary to have a reaction like that... especially right after having a baby! Goodness!! Get it in your head and make sure you have only supportive people around you. Tell everyone that if they arent there to support that they can wait at home! Do you have a doula?

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
August 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know you were thinking about finding a doula- did you?

Ignore those who don't believe in you! They're scared, wrong and just plain annoying! I think you can totally do it, and I wish I could be your doula.

Focus on learning relaxation skills well. Really make that a goal.

Be determined, and believe in yourself. Every day tell yourself you can do this.

Spending early labor at home is also a really good tip. Try not to go in untill you can no longer speak through contractions, and you have to do other things to cope with the intensity.

You can do it!!!! It'll be such a better experience for you and your baby!

August 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I never did hire a doula. I found out one works at my hospital so when I go in tomorrow I will ask to have her contact me.

Do not mention on FB
August 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi and welcome! I'm Cheryl, a co-host here and mommy to Acadia, 18 months old.

It sucks to hear negative comments but in the end it really doesn't matter if other people think you can do it or not. It does matter that your direct support is supportive and knowlegable about birth.

Check your local library for some books on the list. If they don't have what you are looking for often they can have it transferred from another library. The Bradley method book is a good one for explaining the stages of birth and is especially good for husbands. The Ina May book is awesome too for inspiration.
August 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

Another suggestion (maybe this was made already) does your hospital have a birthing tub you can use?

You can do this, you never really know how things will end up playing out. I never expected an 8 hour labor with my first daughter, and when I asked for the epidural, I was already 10cm. My second daughter was a 6 hour labor, and despite back labor, I still got through it, with the help of my midwives and the birthing tub. When I was considering a natural birth with both, I had a lot of people tell me I was crazy. It was almost motivation enough to prove them wrong

Expecting baby #4!

August 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Super Mommy
WELCOME!! I am also due in September..on the 12th.With my second, my first was 100% natural,water labor is definitely a huge huge pain and stress reliever!!

Natural Childbirth is NOT a scary thing, it is exciting and you will NEVER feel stronger and more aware of your power as a woman. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it!! YOU CAN!!!!
August 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
just wanted to add to check out these links, you might find them helpful

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...hildbirth.html

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ain-labor.html (Pain in Labor)

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...hildbirth.html (Websites on Natural Childbirth)
August 3rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congratulations!! We're due the same week!

August 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi! Don't listen to all that negativity. You can do it. Something that really helped me that was taught in a birthing class- might help you as well. To teach yourself relaxation get a ice pack or something cold from the freezer. Hold it in between your hands and practice slow breathing or vocalizing. I think it strengthens you mentally more than anything. It helped me labor naturally.

August 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for all the support and advice! I am so glad to be here. DH and I have been talking a lot about this and he is so supportive about it. Knowing that I am so fearful of a reaction more than anything.

Do not mention on FB

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search