Im not going to get a homebirth...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well at my midwife appt yesterday we were suppose to talk about having a homebirth. So she went back and looked at Emmes birth and decided its probably not a good idea. She didnt say no but she said we will decide when we see what size the baby is going to be.

Basically Emme was stuck real bad. She said that she had to do some major maneuvering to get her out and the birth assistant was up on the bed pushing down on my stomach to push her shoulders out. Im remembering this a lot more clearly now. I told her that maybe if I would have squatted or something and she said squatting is good for getting the head out and bringing a baby down but that wouldnt have helped with Emme. She said that when the head came out and she rotated her shoulders got caught up under the pubic bone and she couldnt fully rotate or free her shoulder that rotated up.

Needless to say Im slightly disappointed but Im not that upset with it. We live about 30 minutes from a hospital and that would just be way to long if the baby was stuck.

I am kind of wondering why the last time I asked her how stuck Emme was she said it wasnt bad and she didnt have to do any maneuvering... Maybe she thought I would be scared to try a birth there again or maybe she just didnt remember. It has been over a year.

I gained 6 pounds since my last appt and she was not happy with that at all. Now Im feeling like I have to starve myself. I feel like Ive been eating more healthy this pregnancy than I ever have before. Sure Im still having fast food here and there but nothing like I did with Emme. Im obviously not going to starve myself but I dont want to get to the end of this pregnancy and her tell me that Ive gained too much weight and have to go to the hospital. Plus Ive only gained 7 pounds total and Im over half way done. I understand that she just wants me to have the birth that I want but I personally think that no matter what I eat Im still going to gain about 30 pounds. I did with the other two and I just really dont see this time being any different regardless of my diet.

Im just going to go ahead and put a homebirth out of my head because at this point Ive come to the conclusion that I would be putting my child in danger if I did it and I know we are all here because we are making the best decisions for our babies regardless of how our personal experience turns out.

At least I really like the birthing center!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
August 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'm seeing some red flags there that concern me...

First off on the weight thing, my midwife told me that around 20ish weeks its VERY normal to have a jump in weight and to expect another jump at 24 weeks (both of which were the case).

Second, repositioning YOU would help with the shoulders... There are a LOT of things that can be done to help rather than just pushing on your stomach and pulling the baby
Shoulder Dystocia

and the fact that she didn't talk about it being really bad until you mentioned homebirth makes me wonder if she's just saying it so you'll stay at the birth center... (not sure if your's is one, but some insurance companies pay for everything - birth, prenatal care, etc... in one lump sum after the birth instead of individually)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to have to ditto Kellilee and everything she's said.

August 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my 4th was stuck and I know midwife had to pull that baby out (she was my 11lb2oz though, but they definitely didnt have to push and pull like you described your birth), and my 5th baby was only 9lb 4oz and didnt get stuck at all. I was worried before this birth, (nobody else seemed to be concerned LOL) but there was absolutely nothing to worry about, she came out very very easily!!! Midwife laughed that when the head came out baby was rotating like crazy after that!! and she came out very easily. I dont think your baby has to get stuck just because your last one did (though I worried about that before birth)

August 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a couple of comments.

1. What exactly does your MW plan to do at the birth center if you have another shoulder dystocia vs at your home? Is the birth center closer to the hospital? Otherwise, I don't see why it matters which place you are birthing. She should have everything at your HOME that she would have available at the birth center (that's actually why my MW doesn't change her fee for birth center vs home--she brings EVERYTHING, including oxygen, emergency drugs, resuscitation supplies--EVERYTHING).

2. Why is she concerned about your weight increasing by 6 lbs ONCE? Now, if you are up 6 lbs every time she sees you that's an entirely different story, but one time at 20 weeks?

I agree with what Kellilee said. Something seems a little "off" here. Could you get a second opinion?

August 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM
Brittnic's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry Sarah. I know you were excited about doing a homebirth. The birthing center is the next best thing though. I'm going to echo everyone else and say that does sound a little bit off. Did she take notes and go back and look at them or something?

As for the weight issue---PL...EASE!!!! You know how much I gained! That IS ridiculous. Eat when you are hungry. Please don't starve yourself. If Emme really was stuck like she now says the birth center may be a better option. At least you wouldn't have to worry about being far from the hospital.

August 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I'm sorry you aren't getting your homebirth. And when did you get to be 21 weeks?!?!

Come visit my blog!
August 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
meh, don't worry about the weight right now. do NOT starve yourself.

August 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I'm seeing some red flags there that concern me...

First off on the weight thing, my midwife told me that around 20ish weeks its VERY normal to have a jump in weight and to expect another jump at 24 weeks (both of which were the case).

Second, repositioning YOU would help with the shoulders... There are a LOT of things that can be done to help rather than just pushing on your stomach and pulling the baby
Shoulder Dystocia

and the fact that she didn't talk about it being really bad until you mentioned homebirth makes me wonder if she's just saying it so you'll stay at the birth center... (not sure if your's is one, but some insurance companies pay for everything - birth, prenatal care, etc... in one lump sum after the birth instead of individually)
ITA!!! Eat what you want to hun! 7lbs is NOTHING at this point.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

August 1st, 2009, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you ladies! I really appreciate all of you responding because I value your opinions!

The birth center is about 5 mintues from the hospital and my house is about 30 minutes so that is her reasoning for wanting to stay at the birth center.

And I thought if I squatted that it would help too! I dont care what she says this time Im going to be up and in a squatting position.

I also worry because my first DD was "stuck" too. Which I guess is why I have the fear that this one will be like the other 2. Im trying not to think about it too much but at least I am preparing myself with other options!

And I totally agree about the weight thing... Since I weigh myself I was thinking about lying and telling her that I didnt gain as much... She is just really strict on that weight gain. And dont worry I cannot starve myself. I am a very "healthy" girl. LOL.

Ill let you know how the next appt. goes. I requested the other midwife. She is going to be full time during the fall so I am hoping she will be the one at my birth.

Thanks for the link Kelli! Oh and they bill the insurance the same way whether it is a homebirth or birth center so I doubt that would make a difference to her. I think she really is "worried" but it worries me that she is "worried" because Im suppose to feel confident in her!

She had these 2 listed in the notes from Emmes birth:

Suprapubic Pressure: This pressure is at the pubic bone, not at the top of the uterus. This might allow the shoulder enough room to move under the pubis symphysis.

McRobert's Maneuver: Flex the mother's legs toward her shoulders as she lays on her back, thus expanding the pelvic outlet. One study showed that this alleviated 42% of all cases of shoulder dystocia.

Last edited by GrowBabyGrow; August 1st, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
August 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It also makes more sense to me now why she didnt hand her to me right after she was born. And now I understand more why they were checking her collar bone and shoulders so quickly. *sigh*

August 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Calm and effective management of this emergency is possible with recognition of the impaction and institution of specified maneuvers, such as the McRoberts maneuver, suprapubic pressure, internal rotation, or removal of the posterior arm, to relieve the impacted shoulder and allow for spontaneous delivery of the infant.
This is exactly what they did! It actually makes me more confident in them to see that they handled it exactly like they should have. The midwife never even flinched. I feel better already.

August 2nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i am surprised the midwife is so strict about weight gain. One of the midwives at the birth center i went to was like "honey, i gained 90 lbs with my pregnancy, you are fine!" LOL. In Henci Goer's book, she says that you should be wary of OBs and others who put strict limits on your weight I would totally lie.

I did have a lot of jumps in weight thru my pregnancy, and they all coincided with fetal growth spurts. fyi.

August 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you discuss your diet, or just the weight gain. If you said 6lb and that you were eating fast food 3-4x a week and lotso f white carbs and pasta I'd be concerned too. With your history of shoulder dystocia growing a super chunky baby is not ideal at all. And those specific items tend to make a big difference in baby fatness! If you were eating high protein, lots of good fruits and veggies and sensible carbs then the gain is no concern.

As for BC vs Home, I agree that it is safer for you to be at the BC. 25 additional transfer minutes is a huge deal. And if baby wasn't good sounding and looking after birth those could be really essential to baby's lng term well being.

Squatting is difficult at a true dystocia (as opposed to a sticky shoulders case), b/c the midwife NEEDS to be able to reach the baby to help that posterior shoulder come through. Mc Robers or Gaskin is the easiest for her to reach. Squatting could help, but if the baby is gonna get stuck it won't make a real difference b/c that assistance is so essential. It would absolutely help a sticky baby, but not a stuck baby.

August 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my last appt, around 21 weeks, I had gained 6 lbs that month. My MW said it was normal in the second trimester. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

Sorry about the home birth not working out. I hope everything works out and you have an amazing delivery!
August 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think her reasoning for going to the BC is sound, based on your previous births. However, this isn't the first time she's been concerned about weight which seems a little odd, especially since you've only gained 7 lbs total (which sounds like a growth spurt to me). But, at least you do know they are experienced and capable for maneuvers, which is a good thing. If it were an OB they'd probably just send you to the OR, you know?

August 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowBabyGrow View Post

The birth center is about 5 mintues from the hospital and my house is about 30 minutes so that is her reasoning for wanting to stay at the birth center.
Okay. This makes more sense.

As far as weight gain, I agree with doulamama. Did you all actually talk about nutrition? It does make a difference on why you gained the weight (i.e. bad eating habits vs normal growth spurt).

August 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
After she asked me how much weight I gained she asked me if I had gone on vacation or anything. I guess that was her way of asking me if I have been eating well. I feel like I have been eating well though so I think it was just a growth spurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
Squatting is difficult at a true dystocia (as opposed to a sticky shoulders case), b/c the midwife NEEDS to be able to reach the baby to help that posterior shoulder come through. Mc Robers or Gaskin is the easiest for her to reach. Squatting could help, but if the baby is gonna get stuck it won't make a real difference b/c that assistance is so essential. It would absolutely help a sticky baby, but not a stuck baby.
Ok this makes sense! Thank you for chiming in. I was hoping you would give me your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
If it were an OB they'd probably just send you to the OR, you know?
Totally what Im thinking. Im glad that I at least have the oppurtunity for a midwife. I feel sorry for women that dont have that chance and have to go straight to the OR.

August 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
oh honey, Im sorry, but at least a birth center is the next best thing and you can go home as soon as you want really. The weight thing seems really weird to me too, 7 lbs at 21 weeks seems outstanding to me!!

is she the only midwife there?
August 2nd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
oh honey, Im sorry, but at least a birth center is the next best thing and you can go home as soon as you want really. The weight thing seems really weird to me too, 7 lbs at 21 weeks seems outstanding to me!!

is she the only midwife there?
Thanks! No there are two more. She is the one that I saw and that was at the birth with Emme. She does seem a little more on the medical side. Its a tough decision because in those regards I totally trust her should this baby be stuck but on the other hand she did offer me drugs and stuff last time after I asked her not to. Im meeting with one of the other midwifes at my next appointment she seems a lot less "medical" but Im not sure I have the same confidence. We shall see!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search