NCB without taking classes?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering...

Is it possible to have a NCB without going to any classes?

I am not wanting to take the hospital's birthing class for number of reasons, I looked into a Bradley class and the closest was almost 3 hours away. There are no other types of classes offered around my area for NCB.

So far I have been reading books, The Bradley Method, Guide to Childbirth, and The Birth Book... I have been gathering quite a bit of information as well as doing prenatal yoga, and practicing relaxation techniques.

Have any of you ladies been able to have a successful NCB without any formal classes or doulas/midwives? My husband will be at my side for the laboring and delivering as my support. My OB is very supportive of my wanting a NCB and said that he is not going to push any issue of medical interventions unless it is emergent. I just want some reassurance that a NCB can happen even though I haven't taken classes.

It sounds weird but I have no fears as of yet when it comes to the birth and pain. My biggest fear and only fear right now is being snowed in the day I go into labor and the road becoming impassable and I deliver the baby on my own!
August 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I never took any classes before Tanith and did just fine. From what I've heard, the Bradley book is the class in book form, so I think you have all the info you need there. And my prior yoga training is what truly helped me personally.

August 3rd, 2009, 06:10 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I personally feel very strongly that NCB focused classes are important but in cases like yours, they are not always possible. I get why you would want to skip the hospital one.

There is a website that offers a web based class on NCB that looks interesting to me. That could be an option for you.

Check out the links posted in the articles of interest and information subforum- there are links on attitude towards pain and emotionally preparing for birth. If you look at the websites I posted as well, there are some fantastic ones out there. The one that offers the class is linked there, it's birthingnaturally or something similar, the site is beautifully done in a brown/sepia color. I'm on my phone so I can't check quickly for you right now.

Although I personally found classes amazing for me, most importantly they had a huge impact on my husband. He has a medical degree and started out wanting me to get a section- and ended with saying in the car on the way home from the hospital that our next could be at home. He's more excited about that than I am! Your hubby needs to be well informed and ideally not view birth as an automatic medical emergency. Have him read the Bradley book as well as the birth partner book.

Personally I am a big believer in lots of prep for birth because you just don't know what will come in handy. I also did a lot of physical prep as well. Some would consider it overkill I suppose.
August 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
what I found most helpful was the "ice technique" we did in the birth class I took with my first. I believe most of the breathing and techniques are in "Birthing from within". It's a great way to actually practice which I think is very helpful. You can do it at home. Read up on the different methods (most are visualization and distraction/breathing techniques) and then you use ice to simulate contractions. your DH can help, you squeeze the ice in your hand for 30-40 seconds at a time while you practice the techniques. It was VERY helpful for me to actually USE them. (or for more advanced practice, submerge your hands in ice water)

I'm a firm believer in having as many "tools" at your disposal as possible because you just don't know what's going to work for you once labor starts.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
With my first I was in Canada and took the course offered by the city healthcare. It was a pregnancy-infant type class. So very broad. The teacher (an RN) did lean towards natural childbirth and we learned about different positions and ways for your partner to help during labour. She also taught us about all the medical pain relief options and the possible interventions. There was nothing in that class I hadn’t already read about, it was fun though.

I had a drug free birth with V. I did end up having some medical intervention in the end (vacuum) but that was my choice (actually vacuum was suggested by me instead of OB or the nurse- I was TIRED after pushing for 4 hours) So my opinion is that yes t is vey doable without classes.

My DH is/was totally supportive of natural birth (in his family it is seen as an accomplishment) so I didn’t need a course to convince him.

So
August 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering the same thing. I am signed up (already paid for) the hospital classes, which start tonight. If I had known in the beginning that I wanted a NCB, I would have tried to find another kind of class. But, I am doing a lot of reading and researching my options. I have been thinking about taking the online class that Cheryl mentioned:

Online Natural Child Birth Education Classes

I might take it after I finish the hospital ones. One thing I noticed in the the Bradley book, though, is that the relaxation method they teach seems exactly like the relaxation at the end of every Yoga class I have taken, so I think that may help a lot too, as someone else suggested.

Hopefully we can do it without a class, I think we can! I do wish the baby's father could go through some special training for NCB, but I think he will be supportive of what I decide to do and help me through it based on me telling him what I need.
August 3rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm doing the hypnobabies self-study. So far, I really love it!!
August 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is possible without a class and in your case you don't have a choice so I think the reading you are doing will be great. Definetly work on the practice exercises described in the Bradley book and get DH to work those with you. It will be so critical for him to be comfortable with the techniques so he can coach you through them during real labor which can be stressful.
I don't think that the hospital class is necessary or even useful for a NCB. The class at my hospital is more about what to expect during the average hospital delivery (including epidural almost as a matter of course).
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

August 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I didn't take a class and had a great natural birth. My first was a hospital induced epi birth. I htin kit depends o nthe person

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

August 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandlove0725 View Post
I'm doing the hypnobabies self-study. So far, I really love it!!
I had a hard time scheduling classes and finding someone to watch my DD so I decided for this course that I can do at home at my own time and it's already worked wonders for me, love it and highly recommend it

Make a pregnancy ticker

August 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I think it's totally possible but you should read as much as you can to prepare yourself. I took Hypnobirthing with my first but with my second didn't take anything and it went great. Good luck no matter what you decide!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

August 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did it, twice, well three times really. Anyway, I read Natural Birth the Bradley Way, great book. I also suggest having your husband read Husband Coached Childbirth (smaller book, more lieky he will finish it). And the chapter on emotional milestones of labor in the first book.

Then I suggest Birthing from Within. I used techniques from both books with Evie's labor.

Most important is to PRACTICE. I practiced the ideas from BFW while on the readmill/elliptical. I would work to my target HR and then use the technique to see how quickly I could ge tmy HR to normal. It was amazing how quickly I recovered while using the technique vs just slowing down.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 3rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I just wanted to add that what I meant about husbands being well informed is basically for example knowing the emotional stages of labor and knowing that it is normal for a women to say they can't do it, that doesn't mean they are actually asking for pain meds or should be offered them, etc.
August 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did hypnobabies home study and LOVED it! It really helped me out. I was laughing and joking while 10cm dilated and in between pushing even!
August 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies...

I am going to look into Hypnobabies... and ended up getting two more books off the NCB reading list...

I have been more determined then ever when my SIL began to talk about how I wouldn't be able to do it because I wouldn't have the pain tolerance... but this is coming from a woman who schedule a c-section and NEVER had experience labor for both her pregnancies... so I just am more determined then ever to have a NCB... not only to prove to myself that I am strong but to prove to others who are doubting me or laughing at me for wanting this and making comments about how I am nuts...

Yes, I am nuts for not wanting to take meds that can effect my child... yup I am crazy someone call a psychologist...
August 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Veteran
I'm expecting my baby between the 15th of Aug. and the 1st of Sept. And I plan to do so Med Free but haven't been able to take classes or hire a doula so I'm relying totally on Self-Education (Books, Internet, this Message board).

I'm excited to see how things go.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search