Caffeine in pregnancy?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2009, 05:34 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
How do you guys feel about caffeine in pregnancy? I had been avoiding it up until recently, where all of a sudden I feel so sluggish and tired and unable to function without a cup of coffee in the morning. I was doing decaf, but I am still half asleep after the decaf. My one cup of coffee is the highlight of my morning. I feel really guilty though. Does anyone have any info on this? I know "they" say a cup of joe is okay in pregnancy, but "they" say a lot of things are safe that I avoid.
October 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I'm not really super concerned about it. I don't drink coffee or tea but I do enjoy the occasional caffeinated soda and I LOVE chocolate. Plus Coral was on prescription caffeine for several months from the time she was just a 2.5 pound preemie, and seeing how a "fetus" truly reacts to straight caffeine made it seem not so scary. It definitely can dehydrate you though so I never go crazy with it!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w4d
October 30th, 2009, 07:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I enjoy a cup of tea in the morning too....not really sure what the answer is
October 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've read it is all about moderation. I have one cup of half-caf coffee in the morning, and if feeling super sluggish may also have an afternoon tea or soda. The big thing is making sure you compensate by drinking more water, since caffeine dehydrates you.
October 30th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
my dr told me up to 3 cups of coffee or sodas a day was fine. that seemed like a lot to me, i didn't drink near that much of course. but your morning cup of regular coffee or a coke in the afternoon is ok.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Ok thanks. I was aware of the potential for it to dehydrate you, but I also know that caffeine crosses through the placenta and I wasn't sure what the effects of that were.
October 30th, 2009, 10:18 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been told that a couple of cups a day are just fine. I would be a lunatic without my morning coffee!

October 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I drink 1-2 cups of coffee every morning. Now, before pregnancy, I tend to drink 2-5 cups of coffee a day, lol. So I've reduced the amount I intake, but I don't cut it out completely. During the first trimester though, I was just not in the mood for coffee at all, and didn't really drink it much at all.

October 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my doctor actually told me to drink some caffeine to keep my migraines away! I have 1-2 diet cokes a day, max.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

October 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have one cup of caffeinated coffee every morning. I need to have it or I feel drained all day long.
October 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm a firm believer that all (well most things) in moderation are fine and generally safe. I drink coffee or tea in the mornings... I'd be a beast without it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I tend to avoid caffeine anyways, whether I'm pregnant or not. But I do eat chocolate which has caffeine and I will have some tea or soda when I have a migraine as it helps it go away faster.

October 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Ok, I don't feel as guilty anymore. Thanks.
October 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I have heard that even up to 6 cups of coffee per day is still safe (which seems a little excessive to me for anybody!) but I think a cup a day is fine. I grew up around British grandparents so tea is nearly a daily thing for me.

October 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I drink caffeine - a lot of it too lol. I've always been a big caffeine person - coffee and mt. dew. Back when I had my first few kids - nothing was ever said about not drinking caffeine so I drank just as much as I always did. I think it was a couple kids ago that they started saying to ease up on it. I guess I'm too set in my ways though.

The way I see it is..........just about anything can be 'bad' for you while pregnant, heck just going outside and breathing the air in most places can be more dangerous than most other activities. So I look at it this way - I'm drinking coffee and pop, I'm not doing street drugs or drinking alcohol. There are far worse things than my caffeine and while yes I Will do everything and anything to protect my child, I can't "live in a bubble".
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

November 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I avoid it. I'm not a caffeine drinker when not pregnany anyways. I do drink tea, but its not caffenated. I have had a few sips of pop when I had my cold but it was also not caffienated. All in moderation though.
November 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
frugality=reality
I can only give you examples of my own pregnancies... they say there is some kind of link with caffeine and ADHD, but if that's so, then I guess we just defy the odds.

With my first, the job I was working for the first 6 months was as a night time security guard at a bank, so I was drinking in terms of POTS. 3-4 POTS a night. She is my lazy girl.

With my second, I was single and living with my mom. I was suffering severe headaches, and I found out that my mom had switched the coffee over to decaf without my knowledge. I got upset, so she did a 50/50 for a while, but I was only drinking 1-2 cups a day of the 50/50. She's my wild child....that if taken to a professional, could likely be diagnosed ADHD in a heartbeat.

With my third and fourth, I had aversions to coffee in the first 4-5 months, so I would drink a Dt. Mt. Dew or two (in 20 oz. bottles) every day, and I went back to my normal pot a day after the aversion ended. They are active, but not wired for sound like my second.

I have no problems with caffeine during pregnancy as a whole. Except when I have aversions. I'm over my headaches now, and still not able to drink coffee with this one, so I'll have a glass of tea now and then. I don't drink much pop anymore anyway, but I'll sometimes have a Diet Mt. Dew if I feel very tired. If this is like my second, then I'm in for it.
November 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
The "experts" say that up to 300mg is fine. Some say the cut off is 150mg. I try to keep it under 150mg, just to be on the safe side. I don't drink tea or coffee, but I drink soda.. and way too much of it.

The biggest risk with soda is dehydration and UTIs. Something about caffeine/carbonation and the urinary tract. And yeah.. I get a lot of UTIs. I drink a lot less soda when I'm pregnant, generally, because I'm more susceptible to UTIs and would rather not double my odds.

I don't think it's an issue.
November 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About two years ago or so, when I was pregnant with Evie, a study came out that 'linked' caffeine consumption to miscarriage. The study concluded that women that drank coffee in the first trimester had an increase incidence of miscarriage. That may be why it has been more recently that some doctors steer women away from it during pregnancy.

As usual the study had a fatal flaw. The issue? They went back to review charts and question women after the pregnancy. A question they asked was, "did you drink coffee?" Well, more women that had their pregnancies end with miscarriage said yes. The researchers deduced it was the caffeiene. Logical? Sort of. The question also should ahve been asked, "were you able to drink coffee?" Many women are unable to drink it in the first trimester because they have strong aversions, which are cused by the increased hormones. So was the problem the coffe/caffeine or the fat that the pregnancies that ended in miscarriage did not have enough of the hormones to support pregnancy, so those women were jus tnot as sick as the healthy pregnancies.

With all that I drink coffee/caffeiene during my pregnancies. My children have had no ill effects from it.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I think a little caffeine during pregnancy is fine, but my personal choice when pregnant and while breastfeeding is to avoid it. I think it's your body/your decision, but I don't believe a little daily will harm your baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search