Since when....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
is 8lb 6oz considered a big baby?????

A friend is due Monday and baby is estimated to be 8lb6oz yesterday, at 39 weeks. The doc told her the baby was huge and that she could try it vaginally, but he doesn't think the baby's coming out that way. So, she's probably going to have a scheduled c-section on Monday for a big baby - all maybe 8lb6oz of him!

On the positive side, when DH heard that, he said, his brother was 11lbs and delivered vaginally, so 8lb6oz should be no big deal! I was impressed to see he has become less surgical minded when it comes to giving birth - a big step for a surgeon!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

November 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
ugh, yes! I hate that. "officially" a large baby is supposed to be 9lbs 15oz. But it seems like more and more women (and some doctors) think 8lbs is too big. Frustrates me to no end!!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't think anything over 9 and 3/4 lbs would be considered overly big, and even then, why in the world wouldn't you at least TRY for a vag birth?
November 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's crazy! DH was just over 10lbs and his mom delivered him vaginally. It was her 10th kid though. My SIL's son was about 10lbs and delivered vaginally. Her doctor told her baby was too big but she did fine. She is tall, but tiny hips and frame.

I think 8lbs6oz is nothing! What a dumb doctor!

November 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one of my friend's sister just had a csection today because her OB guessed her 37w son to be 8.6#...they cut him out and he's all of 6.3# and in the NICU because he isn't breathing on his own. His 10 minute apgar was 3!

One of my bff pushed out a 9lb 15oz baby, granted she had an epidural (so not a NCB person) and her doc gave her an episotomy (which according to her husband was pretty unnecessary, and my bff said the epis. is her OB's usual practice, she knew she would get one before she even went into labor)...and it was her FIRST baby. my bff's niece was born 2w prior and she was 10.5# delivered vaginally with no tearing. It's madness to me

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 4th, 2009, 04:33 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
My first was 9 pounds even, which I consider marginally big, since the "average" baby is 6.5-7.5lbs. I wasn't going to schedule a C-section for it though. I did have an induction at 6 days PD because I didn't want him to get any bigger, though. Still better than a C-section.
November 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I had Michael vaginally, first vaginal birth (VBAC) at 9 lb 14 oz, plus he was breech at 37.5 weeks and they did an external version, oh my poor scarred uterus.

Now the 9 lb 15 oz cutoff is still only in the 90th percentile, meaning that 10 percent are still larger than that for 'average'. A normal weight for a newborn is between 5.5 and 10 pounds, so why is a little over 8 pounds considered 'too big'?

I guess all my babies were large, well besides Patrick, who was of course the c-section baby at 7lb 1 oz. Caro was 8 15 and Evie was 8 4.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
oh man, that is just insane. especially the story of the 37 week csection- I guess I don't get the logic of rushing to get the baby out at 37 weeks if they are just going to do a c-section anyway?
November 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's so crazy to me too. DH was 8lb 6oz and the smallest of my MIL's 4 children, all of which she delivered vaginally, only had an epi with DH!

My friend is so not an NCB type, so I'm not surprised she's opting for a c-section, but I'm surprised it's coming from my OB!! He was perfect with my NCB and never once said a negative word about it or even brought up the word c-section.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

November 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While I have had 3 c/s and never for size. I think I am really lucky so far and I am praying that my run of small babies continues! My biggest was 7lbs 13oz then my smallest 5lbs15oz I saw her and just thought to myself I could have coughed her out! and my last was 6lbs 9oz. But I don't see where and 8lb baby is a big baby and in need of c/s. Does your friend really know the risks of c/s and the implications for any future pregnancies?

November 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Wow.

I do think that over 8lbs can seem big for a small person. I think that I have big babies. But not "too big" and I would never plan a csection because of it. I think even if they thought the baby was 17 lbs I would prefer to go into labour naturally and then get a csection if needed.
November 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Jeb-O's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jeb-O Send a message via Yahoo to Jeb-O
I was carrying around 12lbs of baby and delivered vaginally. I realize it is two separate deliveries so it isn't 8lbs at once.. however... seriously? How do you not try?

I agree, even if I was told my baby was 17lbs, I'd try first.

November 4th, 2009, 10:09 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Christine ~ View Post
It's so crazy to me too. DH was 8lb 6oz and the smallest of my MIL's 4 children, all of which she delivered vaginally, only had an epi with DH!

My friend is so not an NCB type, so I'm not surprised she's opting for a c-section, but I'm surprised it's coming from my OB!! He was perfect with my NCB and never once said a negative word about it or even brought up the word c-section.

I asked my friend the same thing..here is the text convo between us verbatim

Me: If they are doing a scheduled c-section why doesn't Angel wait until she is 40w? 37 is really early. Is she dilated or effaced?
Nikita: No, no progress at all. Can't feel baby's head, but Angel is done being pregnant. 37w is the earliest her OB would let her do it..wanted to do it last week, but he said it would be unethical of him.
Me: Did they do an amniocentesis to check his lungs?
Nikita: No Angel wouldn't consent, she said no needles going in her stomach
Me: Then why is she having scheduled c? Whats the difference?
Nikita: She is done being pregnant. They said Bryson is over 8lb now anyway so he is fine.
Me: That's dumb, but it's her choice. Does she know the risks?
Nikita: OB said it's a lot less risky to have him this way because of his size, if she goes into labor he said she would probably die because his size will put too much stress on her.
Me: Wow...
Nikita: Her OB is really well respected so I know he's right

I didn't reply...but thats our convo from early this AM when she texted me she was bored in the waiting room!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 5th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post

Me: If they are doing a scheduled c-section why doesn't Angel wait until she is 40w? 37 is really early. Is she dilated or effaced?
Nikita: No, no progress at all. Can't feel baby's head, but Angel is done being pregnant. 37w is the earliest her OB would let her do it..wanted to do it last week, but he said it would be unethical of him.
Nikita: She is done being pregnant. They said Bryson is over 8lb now anyway so he is fine.
Nikita: OB said it's a lot less risky to have him this way because of his size, if she goes into labor he said she would probably die because his size will put too much stress on her.

I didn't reply...but thats our convo from early this AM when she texted me she was bored in the waiting room!

Sorry but your friend is kind of an idiot and her Dr shouldn't be allowed to practice.
November 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
She would probably DIE if she tried to deliver an 8 pound baby vaginally????

Oh BOY. What a load of horse pockey. I had a NCB with my older DD who was 9lb, 5oz. Amazingly I'm still here to tell about it. I just don't understand the whole "too big" argument and elective c-sections. My sister was convinced to have her DD sectioned out because she was "absolutely 10 pounds plus." Funny how she weighed 7 pounds even at birth, and sadly my sister had to be put under general anesthesia after the epidural failed to work, and she missed the birth of her daughter. I just don't get it.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
November 5th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy

^ All of those...

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What it all comes down to is that birth is WAY too medicalized and doctors will use any excuse to schedule an induction or c-section. It's ridiculous and disgusting...

Abigail was 8lbs 4oz and Anna was 8lbs 8oz and both were delivered vaginally without a single complication (and I didn't tear with Anna either).

Quote:

I know she's your friend, but that's just selfish. It makes me angry to see so many women starting out motherhood that way. I suppose it's all about what makes us happy, not what is best for our babies anymore

Sorry to be so blunt, I'm in a bit of a bad mood today

November 5th, 2009, 07:02 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
9lbs 15oz is only the 90th percentile? Luke was nine pounds even and I was told 95th percentile. I wonder where they get these percentiles? lol

I can't believe her OB said she'd die if she tried to deliver vaginally. Maybe if she's like 11, and even then.. probably not. Sounds like she just wants a C-section to me. No offense to your friend - that's her choice. I just wonder if her OB actually SAID that...
November 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
i wonder if her OB actually said that too. Often times I think its more a perception than actual fact.

For example, a women has an "emergency" c/s and during it the doctor comments that the cord is around the neck. But when she tells her friends about the birth its "The cord was around the neck, my baby would have DIED, the doctor saved my life!" even though that wasn't necessarily the case... ya know?

But I think doctors that push cesareans know how to say things to get the result they want. They know what "buttons" to push with that particular patient. If she fears dying in childbirth all its going to take is a gentle nudge that delivering a large baby could be dangerous to her.

Still... APPALLED by that conversation! And I really don't understand the mentality that if baby is "big" its okay to take them early. Big doesn't equal mature!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
What it all comes down to is that birth is WAY too medicalized and doctors will use any excuse to schedule an induction or c-section. It's ridiculous and disgusting...
I know she's your friend, but that's just selfish. It makes me angry to see so many women starting out motherhood that way. I suppose it's all about what makes us happy, not what is best for our babies anymore

It sounds to me like an OB who doesn't want to be troubled with having her try vaginally or risk being called in to deliver a baby during after hours *gasp* Sheesh!

~~~~~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search