I find this difficult

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
babies are also more likely to need help breathing after a c/s and tend to have lower apgar scores (statistically). They have a higher risk of inhaling amniotic fluid as well.

most research I have seen is that for a FIRST time mom, induction doubles your chance of getting a c/s. Its less than that if you've had a child already.

Interesting that you don't know anyone that has had an induction that ended in c/s. I see it ALL THE TIME. Read some of the birth stories in the due date clubs, there's PLENTY.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GOing by the link to Henci Goer's site it is difficult to get any real information from that chart. Those studies were all done in a time when post dates didn't occur until after 42 weeks. That would make it possible that a large number of those elective inductions were done after 40 weeks gestation. Now we see elective inductions at 38 sometimes and quite often at 39 weeks. The earlier the induction the less likely the body is ready to be induced and the more likely to result in surgery. A woman with a low Bishop's score IS 50% more likely to end up with a surgery. Take that same woman, wait a week, she has a better Bishop's score and now her risk goes down to 8%. That is a huge difference.

The biggest thing is that there is not enough good research on induction, period. But, any good provider will agree that expectant management is best. They will also agreed that induction is an important tool that when used properly can be a safer option, but that in the US today it is far overused to the point that it is putting women and babies at risk.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yeah I guess I am also confused about how vaginal birth is no less risky than major surgery?

however, I don't like the way this thread is going. We've never had an issue like this before, where it is basically a fight. Healthy debate fine, but this has a different tone.
November 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't think it's a fight at all. I know that NCB is the safest option, otherwise I wouldn't be here in the first place. I just don't understand, nor appreciate, when women sit back and imply that it's the ONLY option and that all other options are basically reckless. Yes, a C-section is more dangerous than a vaginal birth, but that STILL doesn't mean their ridiculously or abhorrently risky. 4 times as likely is true, but four times 1% is 4%, and still pretty darn good odds. Is it the best choice? No. Is it my choice? Not anymore. Do I think it's a ridiculous risk to be induced post dates or because they are legitimately concerned that your pelvis cannot handle the size of your baby? No.

I came to this board because I was hoping for support on my plan for a NCB. Had I realized that I was expected to basically judge and put down women who choose a different way to go, I wouldn't have come. Perhaps it's better for all involved if I make my peace and step away.
November 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I've been on this board for over 2 years and I just don't see it as judgmental at all- we have many women who joined here when they were pregnant and for various reasons did not get the birth they wanted, and no one ever gave them a hard time. in fact we are often sad if they leave and don't come back simply because of that. We have several who still post here despite that, and that makes me (and others) very happy. If you look closely at the current NCB board siggy you will see the last 3 babies are "honorable mentions" - 2 who were c-sections and one who was born vaginally with an epidural. We welcome their input and their experiences.

I do think there is a general mistrust towards the system as it is, and let's face it, the medical system in this country as a whole is totally F'd. The reason we are in the middle of a huge healthcare debate right now. You may have heard many times about a pay per service fee system, and this is a sad reality right now. Surgical birth brings in more money, and less malpractice suits, plain and simple.

You have mentioned that you really didn't do much research, you just trusted your body and succeeded. I think that is great, but you are probably looking at things from an "uneducated" point of view (for lack of a better term) when many of us have read lots and lots and lots and it has been hammered into our brains that the system is functioning a certain way, and that is upsetting to us. I don't think we blame the women, nor do we fail to support....but if you are looking for any one on here to stick up for the system, I don't think that's going to happen.

I have to go feed my pregnant body breakfast but I do hope you understand where this point of view comes from. It's not anti women, but anti system. We accept everyone here, including you. I don't think you should leave, but of course that is your choice. It's ok for us to think differently.
November 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Well said Cheryl. I'll just Ditto to you.

Come visit my blog!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search