New here!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I joined "Just Mommies" today for the July 2010 DD board, and then I found you guys

This is our first baby, and I want to do absolutely everything in my power to have a natural delivery. DH is actually the one who encouraged this, it's not something I ever thought about before.

We live in Central Oregon so there are lots of resources here for natural deliveries, etc. The c-section rate at the hospital well below the national average (and over 50% less than my former city - a whopping 48%!) so I feel like we have really good odds.

I would have liked to try a home birth or a birthing center, but it's not an option for me because I have a Brain AVM (Here's my story)

I have had 4 surgeries and it's treated, but in the small chance that something happened to me, it's really important that I would have my neuros nearby. 10 minutes to transport me could mean life or death. But long story short, my neuro has given us the green light for a natural delivery. He even thinks it would be better for me since an epidural can cause migraine issues, something I used to have bad trouble with as a result of the AVM.

I have been reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and it's just so inspirational to me.

Anyway, enough of my rambling! I look forward to "meeting" everyone and learning everything I can from you all
November 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to our world!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yay, HI! I just joined the July 2010 DDC cautiously. Not sure how I will be thought of there, but that's ok. I had a tough time in my daughter's DDC sometimes, especially in the end, but I really love those ladies now and have made some real life friends through that group.

anyway, I'm Cheryl, host here and mommy to Acadia Ruby who will be two in January. I had an all natural, intervention free birth in a hospital with her. We had a doula who was AMAZING and the best thing to happen to our birth. I HIGHLY recommend one. We will be having a homebirth with this child.

Please check out the subforum "NCB information and articles of interest" which has lots of great stuff in there. New things added all the time.

Thanks for joining us!
November 6th, 2009, 08:32 AM
noworries
Welcome and congrats! I'm Carrie, mommy to Eva Grace (22 months old), and Eli (stillborn about 2 months ago). I had Eva completely naturally in a hospital and had a wonderful experience. Getting a doula is a great idea.
Where in Oregon do you live (I live in Idaho but have lots of friends and family in Oregon)?
November 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
btw your hubby sounds awesome!
November 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I'm Brittany, and I'm also pregnant with my first planning a NCB.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy
November 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Holly! That's fantastic that you're planning a NCB and that your Dr is supportive of it. I hope you can find a birth center or hospital that works for you, where you can have the birth you want but also have doctors nearby in case something happens with your brain.
November 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
P.S. - just finished reading your story. Wow, you've been through a lot! How did the 4th embolization go? I hope you're done with all that now...
November 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
yay, HI! I just joined the July 2010 DDC cautiously. Not sure how I will be thought of there, but that's ok. I had a tough time in my daughter's DDC sometimes, especially in the end, but I really love those ladies now and have made some real life friends through that group.

anyway, I'm Cheryl, host here and mommy to Acadia Ruby who will be two in January. I had an all natural, intervention free birth in a hospital with her. We had a doula who was AMAZING and the best thing to happen to our birth. I HIGHLY recommend one. We will be having a homebirth with this child.

Please check out the subforum "NCB information and articles of interest" which has lots of great stuff in there. New things added all the time.

Thanks for joining us!
Yeah, I found a Doula here (that everyone raves about) who is also a certified massage therapist. I thought that would come in very useful!
November 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
Welcome and congrats! I'm Carrie, mommy to Eva Grace (22 months old), and Eli (stillborn about 2 months ago). I had Eva completely naturally in a hospital and had a wonderful experience. Getting a doula is a great idea.
Where in Oregon do you live (I live in Idaho but have lots of friends and family in Oregon)?
We're in Bend, OR! It's a HUGE change (good change) from Texas, lol
November 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
btw your hubby sounds awesome!
He really is!

Honestly, before him, I probably thought about scheduled c-sections more than anything. I don't know if it's a geographical thing, but most women I knew did scheduled c-sections. At the hospital I did my L&D clinicals at, one of the huge selling points for c-sections that this one particular OB group used was having a tummy tuck/mini-tummy tuck after your c-section. They also would allow a professional photographer in that they had contracted to take impressive delivery shots. (My mother uses one of the Dr's at that particular group, when she had her hysterectomy they said she could include a TT if she wanted---she declined, lol)

My mom also (one day when we got on the topic of natural deliveries) said something along the lines about how c-sections are better for babies because their heads don't get squeezed, seriously Mom?

Another friends mother (my best friend) after learning that my friend was TTC said something along the lines of, "Now you're not gonna be dumb and try that natural midwife stuff, are you?"

So once we started TTC, we really did our reading. After reading statistics, and watching a few things (The Business of Being Born) I just couldn't imagine NOT doing it natural. Like DH said, I have already been through so much physically, why would I not think I was capable of this?
November 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgirl View Post
P.S. - just finished reading your story. Wow, you've been through a lot! How did the 4th embolization go? I hope you're done with all that now...
I am! I have had literally no bad headaches since the surgery.
My blood pressure was kind of wonky (borderline high) for a little while following the last surgery in '05, but it seemed like a couple of months ago that my body finally got back to "normal" and I haven't had any problems since.
November 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better!
November 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there and welcome!

I am Veann, natural, intervention and drug-free, birth center, midwife-assisted Mommy to Lucius (2-13-09). Our natural childbirth was one of the greatest moments in my life and I'd do it again in a heartbeat (and plan to!). Our birth story is up in the subforum. I truly hope you are able to have the natural childbirth you are planning and hoping for. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

*I actually know what AVM is because of Six Feet Under. Love Nate!

November 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board and JM!

I'm Christine (29) and my DSs are Grant (3.5 - epidural hospital delivery) and Dean (14mo - induced pain med free hospital) and baby girl due April 7.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search