What is your reason...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for wanting a natural childbirth?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Because it's best for me and baby. I admit I also want to do it because I want to prove to myself that I can. There was a post a while back that asked if religion had anything to do with the decision. At the time I said no, but I've changed my mind. My personal belief is that people were put on this planet for different reasons. We all have things we're supposed to do while we're here - mine is to have children and raise a family. If I'm supposed to be here to have and raise children, then I obviously have the tools I need already at my disposable to attain that goal.

I wish more people, or in fact, anyone would support my choice of a natural birth. Pretty sure I'm going this alone though.
November 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started reading about pregnancy and childbirth long before I wanted to have a baby. Another message board that I belong to has a children and parenting section, and a lot of the women on that board were talking about natural childbirth. After I read more about it, I realized that a natural childbirth would be the best for me and my child.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy
November 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I originally decided on a NCB because of my desire to VBAC and have the best chance at accomplishing that goal.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
because it's it just that- natural.
My body was meant to do this, and it is the healthiest thing for both me and my baby.

November 6th, 2009, 12:39 PM
noworries
When I first got pregnant with Eva I hadn't thought anything about it and the reason I started looking into NCB was because my cousin had an awful experience with her epidural and I was scared to get one.
I started researching and realized that NCB was safest for both my baby and me. Now that I've had a natural child birth I know how amazing it is and I want the safety of it and the natural high that you get afterwards.
November 6th, 2009, 12:51 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never considered anything other than a natural birth. My Mom had 3 out of the 4 of us naturally (first baby she had a saddle block for--they made her stop pushing so they could administer it) so it was just something I wanted to do too.

Plus, reading up on it I knew just how much better it was for me and my baby and that gave me all the more reason to want to do it.

And having lost our first baby through miscarriage I hated my body for a long time and really felt like it had let me down. Like I was broken. And I wanted to prove to myself that my body could do this, that I wasn't "broken."

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

November 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Mostly because it lessens the likelihood of my needing a c-section. Plus the idea of a needle in my back scares the tar out of me!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
November 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never considered anything other then natural. To me, it is just what is best for me and my baby.

November 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have read a lot on the topic, and also had a friend in college who was training to be a midwife and she taught me a lot. I know it is better for me and better for baby, and it is also something women do every day all around the world, so there is no reason I can't do it, too. But on a personal note, I also am so angry at what happened to my mom and REFUSE to let that happen to me. She went to the hospital after she went into labor with me (her first) and was made to lay on her back and labor for 19 hours without moving or eating or drinking. Then they told her that her pelvis was 'too small' and that was why she wasn't progressing, despite the drugs they were pumping into her system, so she had to have an emergency C-section. She couldn't spend time with me for several hours, and never got any breastfeeding support, so she quit doing it after 3 months because I wasn't gaining weight well and she was always in pain (obviously because she never got shown how to get me to latch properly). When she got pregnant with my brother, they didn't even give her the option of a VBAC, claiming her pelvis was simply too narrow for vaginal birth, and he went straight to formula. She has no regrets (honestly I think she is in denial that things could have possibly gone any differently) but for me, as her daughter, I find it abhorrent the way she was treated and refuse to let my own birth be handled the same way.
November 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when I was little I played "midwife" with my barbies and all the kelly dolls got delivered "naturally" lol...

ummmm my whole life I have been kind of obsessed with it I guess? In Jr. high I wrote my first essay on the benefits of a natural child birth, and I can't say my reasons have changed since then. For me it's about trusting my body, my instincts, and it's what is best for my babies. It still haunts me to this day that Brylie required medical induction...I think about my poor baby girl in there with uterus contractions with pitocin at 36

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Safety is a big part of it. Pregnancy and delivery have inherent risks and I don't see the need to ADD to them.

A big part of it now is being a role model for my girls. I want them to grow up with a positive outlook on birth and motherhood and for me that includes natural childbirth.

But initially it was just a fear of needles and because it just felt like the "right" way to do it for me.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 7th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because it's the healthiest way possible for me and the baby. My body is designed to do this....millions of women for millions of years have done the same
November 7th, 2009, 06:30 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It just feels right to me. I rarely take medications when I have a headache or anything else (only if its so bad I can't see, then I take some Tylenol).
November 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
blue daisy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want the most raw and honest start to me and my baby's life! I also dont want to wimp out and drug the two of us. I have heard the most beautiful natural and homebirth stories.....and they seem to be more pain free than hospital ones. I am delivering at a hospital but hopefully my doula can help me and the doctors along with my choice.
November 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are so many reasons that include what's best for me & baby, wanting to be mobile, it's what's natural, etc. But when you get down to it, like Blue Daisy, I want a pure, honest, connected & spiritual experience. I don't want drugs or the inability to move to interfere with that during labor nor do I want anything to lessen the ultimate bond I'll have with my child afterwards. I know mothers who have medical interventions are connected with their children but if their us an ultimate level to be attained through NCB, I'll do everything I can do have that. My child deserves that, I deserve that.
November 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont want to take the risk of doing it any other way. Besides I felt much better after having Emme naturally than I did when I had Brynn with an epidural.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because it is the safest for both me and baby. And the recovery will be easier.

November 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it wasn't a given for me exactly. My husband (who has a medical degree, he was training to be a surgeon but decided not to go into practice at all) suggested I get a c-section to avoid incontinence in the future. (he was working at the time in that area of Research and Development at his company) and I considered it for like 5 minutes. Then started doing my own research.

The OB office I was using was very busy, long waits, rushed visits, 9 different OB's/ .Felt rushed and anonymous and totally disconnected. Not to mention silly for asking questions. I started hearing bad stories about the nearby hospital that they delivered at, things like "baby factory" from people I knew who had babies there. Found a doula at 16 weeks and by that point I was pretty sure I was going to go natural because I didn't want to be at the mercy of the hospital rules and policies- stuck in bed and monitors etc. Didn't want a bunch of interventions.

So I switched to a midwife office who delivered at a smaller, NCB friendly hospital. Birth Center was not an option for us, none in the state. As we started our classes and time passed, I became more and more convinced it was the right thing for us.I too wanted a more authentic experience. I was very concerned that labor drugs would increase my baby's chance of being addicted to drugs later in life. There is a connection between the types of labor drugs that were popular in the past and the types of drugs that those babies become addicted to when they become adults. That really struck me.

My experience was not how I envisioned it and it was very hard at the time, but it was worth it. We are going to have a homebirth with this baby, and I think it is going to be fantastic!
November 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After watching The Business of Being Born, I realized just how dangerous having the epidural hospital birth could be and I switched care to a midwife at nineteen weeks and achieved my natural childbirth with my son in her freestanding birth center. I plan to have homebirths in the future.

At first, I had just planned to have the traditional hospital, epidural, laying on your back kind of birth. I already have back issues and did have an innate concern over having the epidural and the possibility of problems because of it. I wanted to avoid a c-section desperately (unless it were TRULY a necessity) and felt like natural childbirth was the right thing to do for me and my baby. I knew that I could handle the pain and it just didn't make sense to me to spend the ten months of pregnancy watching my diet like a hawk and cutting out all harmful substances (caffeine, alcohol, MSG, food coloring, phosphates, all pharmaceuticals, etc.) and then pumping my little boy full of drugs right at the very end. I also have a mistrust of doctors. We're a pretty health-conscious family and tend to lean toward natural solutions over pharmaceutical ones.

I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search