XP "big baby" from a midwife!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM
bigplantnerd
So when at your 37 week appointment your crunchy, mellow, homebirth/birth center midwife thoughtfully palpates your abdomen, measures your fundus at 40cm, sits down and asks "well, this is a good sized baby, do you want to consider trying some herbal/natural induction techniques to see if we can get him to come early?" Do you think you're going to have a BIG baby LOL? Oy, watch me go 2 weeks past my due date and have to push out a roly poly 10lb 5 oz baby naturally.
We decided not to try anything until my EDD- I am kind of counting on these last 2 weeks to get my stuff together and I don't want to push out a big fat baby that can't breathe due to early eviction!

November 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
good luck!

my midwife just told me at my appt last week that she had just delivered a 11lb 4oz baby by vbac....and mom had no tearing or anything!

so even if its a 10lb baby, just remember that your body was designed to deliver the size baby that your body is making!
November 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
interesting, what was she suggesting?
November 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Well it can be done! Hunter was 10lbs 8ozs and was my easiest delivery yet and I had 1 tiny tear that didn't even require stitches!

Facebook
November 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think big babies are probably more squishy than little babies I imagine they would be easier to push out

(This is my own theory as I can only imagine how big my next bebe might be...since Brylie was 7.7 at 3w early! (I actually think she was more like 4.5w early! )

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told at 36 weeks mine was big as well, but we waited it out and finally I was induced at 41w1d. The drs guess was 9lbs..... nope! He was just over 10lbs & I did it all natural, no drugs and I didn't tear at all! The delivery was actually easier than my 7lb 14oz DD. I think the thing that really helped was pushing standing up, squatting & on the toilet for the first little bit. I noticed that when you are upright -you- don't push, your body does 100% of it for you, but once they laid me on my back to actually deliver him (he was already crowning), that urge completely left! It was all me. I mean I felt the 'you should push now' contractions, but it was nothing like when I was standing. It was a lot less strain on my body, unlike with DD I was on my back the whole time, a nurse on one side and df on the other literally folding me in half. It was awful.

I also spent the whole 5hrs in the shower on a birthing ball. That really helped too. I highly recommend the shower + birthing ball for labor & standing/squatting/toilet sitting for the first stages of pushing!

Good Luck!

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
November 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I measured at 42cm when I was 36 weeks. Doc said this is going to be a really big baby, She sent me in for another u/s to check her size and they said she was already around 8lbs. She was born at 39wk 5 days. 6lbs and 9oz. LOL! So I don't really believe I have a big baby until it comes out. DS was the same measured really big and 7lbs13oz but he was pretty tall 21 1/2inches.

November 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
I measured at 42cm when I was 36 weeks. Doc said this is going to be a really big baby, She sent me in for another u/s to check her size and they said she was already around 8lbs. She was born at 39wk 5 days. 6lbs and 9oz. LOL! So I don't really believe I have a big baby until it comes out. DS was the same measured really big and 7lbs13oz but he was pretty tall 21 1/2inches.

Yeah, it's really impossible to tell! With my 2nd I had an u/s at 38 weeks (he had been breech, it was a final check) and they guessed him to be about a 6lb baby and he was almost 9 so.. wayy off lol!

Facebook
November 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unless you have a medical condition like gestational diabetes that is unnaturally causing a large baby, I feel if your body is producing a large baby it's because it's able to birth it. If you have issues in labor, you can deal with it then. But for a midwife to encourage even a natural induction for a "big baby" is quite bothersome to me.
November 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a midwife using palpation is more accurate in baby size then an US is, but I agree that offering induction isn't a great idea. Your body will do a better job of opening up and relaxing for the birth if it is ready. Going into labor naturally releases more hormones to help with the passage of the baby.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it's much more about your position and baby's position than it is size
November 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
Having delivered one 6lb-er and one 8lb-er I can definitely say that it was much, much easier to deliver the 8lb-er! I think you made a wise decision to at least wait until your EDD

~~~~~~
November 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I agree with Cheryl, I think that your positions during labor and pushing and your baby's position is going to matter a lot more to do it than the size of the baby. I agree you made the right choice to not do anything until your EDD.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, waiting until your EDD is your best bet. I'm very suprised that a midwife who seems to be so naturally minded would even suggest there would be a problem with a "big" baby.

I measured 2 weeks bigger at my 38 week appointment and only delivered an 8lb 8oz baby at 40w+3d. She did have big ol chubby cheeks though, maybe that's what made her measure a little bigger

Expecting baby #4!

November 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another thing to think about is you are technically only measuring 1 cm 'ahead'. My midwife told me that normal discrepancy is +/- 2 cm per week. So at 37 weeks it is normal to measure 39cm. At that point the extra cm could just be a difference in placement of the measuring tape.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you're making the right call. Hard to say how big baby actually is, but best to try to let your body direct the labor.
November 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck!
November 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
After delivering my 11 pound 15 and a half ounce and nearly 2 feet tall moose of a boy Owen I am now a big believer in the philosophy of if your body made it then it can deliver it! I squatted in the birth tub to deliver him and he came out just fine! I did tear but I am a lot better off with that than a c section scar.

Glad you decided to wait it out...it is probably best like you said.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

November 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
morebluethanpink
Quote:
After delivering my 11 pound 15 and a half ounce and nearly 2 feet tall moose of a boy Owen I am now a big believer in the philosophy of if your body made it then it can deliver it! I
++++ lurking from march ddc+++++++ but

12 pounder?! May I ask how many weeks you were? Did you have GD? Did they know he'd be that big?

Sorry for the curiousity, just don't hear of 12lb babies born vaginally everyday! Or, by c/s either, for that matter.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search