Hello

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone. I'm Diana (25) and expecting #2. I really want to try to have a natural birth this time. With DS I had so many reactions to the drugs and so did DS that i feel it would be better this time for a natural birth. I have been reading on this for a few months now and doing all I can to prepare myself. I have lots of questions so I'm hoping that some of them could be answered for me. First off does labor go faster after your first?

November 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Diana!
Welcome to the NCB! I'm Nikki expecting my first, a boy, on Xmas! Being that this is my first I have no answers to your questions but I wanted to say hello.

This board has been terrific. I have learned more here (and some of the other boards) than I have from reading books. Good luck.

November 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarney View Post
. First off does labor go faster after your first?

Supposedly but I am expecting mine to be the same or longer since it was so fast with my first. I never read your birth story but if you had a lot of interventions they would have increased the length of your labor.
November 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! My second was barely faster than my first. But the active part of labor was shorter (only 1 hour).

Ask away!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
welcome! I'm Cheryl, host here and mommy to Acadia who will be 2 in January.

I don't think there is a textbook rule, but I do think generally pushing is much easier after the first time. Labor time has a lot of factors. You really just don't know.
November 8th, 2009, 02:43 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much for the welcome. Really if you don't mind I'm going to freely ask everything. Should i buy a book also about this or just prepare myself and just ask things i want/need to know here?

November 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
its helpful to get some books (check libraries if you dont' want to buy). But we have a GREAT subforum with tons of articles and information. There's also a book list stickied. Feel free to ask away though! We're happy to help

Anyway, Welcome! I'm Kelli, I have two little girls, 4 and 2, both completely intervention/drug free. My third is due Wednesday and we're doing a homebirth this time! Both my girls' birth stories are posted in the subforum.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarney View Post
. Should i buy a book also about this or just prepare myself and just ask things i want/need to know here?
If I could recommend two books it would be this one because it has great ideas on thins to do during labour
Amazon.com: The Birth Partner, Third Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions (Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, &) (9781558323575): Penny Simkin: Books

And this book is an amazing eye opener. It made me realize things that could have been done to improve my first birth (which was drug free but ended with a vacuum birth)

Amazon.com: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (9780553381153): Ina May Gaskin: Books

This book gets a lot of praise too. I was not into it at all. Really only a handful of chapters were of use to me.

Amazon.com: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (9780553381153): Ina May Gaskin: Books
November 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every labor and childbirth is different. Both of my un-medicated births were about the same for active labor, 4 hours.

My mom had 7 children. I was her second and her shortest labor. My brother John was her fourth and her longest. It really depends on baby's position more then anything. My brother John was posterior, and nearly 11 pounds, so it isn't surprising he was the longest.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
November 8th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
oh, I meant to add, my second was about half as long as my first, so it was shorter for me.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 8th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Diana! Good to see you here from the April10 DDC!

My labor with Lily was just under 7 hours from first contraction to delivery. I've been warned by both my midwives and a few OBs that this labor/delivery may go even faster. That's one reason we decided to do a home birth this time. Of course, this labor might be longer, no one really can say for sure.

I highly recommend just checking out books on natural childbirth from your library if you can. If you have the option of taking a class on natural childbirth (Bradley, Hypnobabies, etc) that could be beneficial for you as well. This board has tons and tons of great info too!

November 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
typically second births are faster, but they don't always get faster after that. Your body already now has the idea of what to do, vs. it being a bit like uncharted terratory last time.

November 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome! this is my first so I really don't have any advice, but wish you the best of luck
November 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search