Thanksgiving is coming... 15 more days!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My absolute favorite holiday.

What are your plans?

Anyone hosting?

What will you be eating?

What are you most excited for?

November 10th, 2009, 05:35 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I love Thanksgiving as well - there's just something about it that brings back so many good memories in an otherwise kind of crazy childhood, and it just makes me feel all warm and homey inside. Although Cheryl, you and I don't really need the addition of warmth since it can be in the 90s on Thanksgiving here

We are actually hosting a small Thanksgiving here with just my dad and stepmom. My mom recently moved down here and she is also hosting a meal that my sisters and brother will be attending, and I think she's not happy that we're not coming, but we love my dad too and he won't be here for Christmas, and honestly I have NO interest in spending a hectic day around my sisters I am SO looking forward to a quiet, relaxed day.

We'll have all the usual foods of turkey, potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls, macaroni and cheese, and the like. My DH really enjoys cooking and makes everything from scratch and it is always fabulous! Plus he's been perusing the cookbooks for some nifty appetizers. I myself am the baker in the family, and I usually bake from scratch about 5 pies - apple, cherry, pumpkin, peanut butter, and chocolate caramel. I guess with 7 people we don't really *need* 5 pies, but I can't bring myself to leave any of them out!

I am absolutely most excited for pie

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
November 10th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What are your plans? The day before is when I have my non medical induction. So hopefully I will have a baby!

Anyone hosting? My mom but if all goes as plans Ill be at home with my little man.

What will you be eating? Turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, rolls, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, and a bunch of stuff I cant remember.

What are you most excited for? Hopefully Pierce!!!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
November 10th, 2009, 06:45 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are your plans?
We have been invited to go to my Aunt's house (which is a 30 minute drive). But my in-laws have also flat out begged us to come to their house for a couple of days (which is a 4 hour drive). We haven't decided which we will do yet. I guess we'll wait about a week and then make a final decision as to whether we are up to the trip out of town with me 36 weeks pregnant and our little guys in tow.

Anyone hosting?
OMG - no way! I have a huge family so the person who hosts has at least 30 people at their house. I have done it in years past but I'm not up to it this year.

What will you be eating?
All the traditional stuff.

Probably teaching my 2 year old all about why we have Thanksgiving and what the traditions are and doing some Thanksgiving related crafts or stories with him. This is his first year where he can really "get it".
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

November 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
What are your plans?
Everyone's coming to our house to eat way too much food.

Anyone hosting?
I always host Thanksgiving. We'll be having 13 adults and 4 kids under the age of 5. Most of our family lives here so it's just a short drive to our house. Plus, my parents live down the street so I have an extra oven if needed. Everyone pitches in with a dish, and I get to make my four favorite dishes.

What will you be eating?
Fried turkey (welcome to the South ), smoked turkey with sausage stuffing, Dixie potatoes (cheesy hashbrown potato casserole), cranberry relish, sweet potato casserole, jello salad, homemade mac and cheese, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and Derby pie (similar to pecan pie but less nuts and add chocolate chips), and cranberry bundt cake.

The food! It's nice to finally be over my first trimester nausea so that I can really enjoy the yummy food. Then after Thanksgiving, my family drives up to the mountains (about 2 hours away) to cut down our own Christmas tree. We also stop by a famous country restaurant for a yummy breakfast. I love Thanksgiving!
November 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My house will see it's first thanksgiving, and I could NOT be more excited. It is my absolute favorite holiday. Since there are so many mamas due all aound the same time as I we won't be seeing many family members, but it'll be nice and cozy. It'll be me, Rob, my sister and my mama, plus the baby and my mom's puppy. I'll also invite any friends who aren't doing anything for the holiday.

I'll probably not make a whole turkey, but I think I'll do herbed, braised turkey legs. I did that 2 yrs ago, and it was delish! I'll make a sweet potato cassarole, mashed potato with gravey, roasted veggies- brussel sprouts, haricot verte, carrot, squash and onion. And stuffing of course- homemade! I may also serve a few easy sides, like roasted corn and homemade rolls. For dessert I'll do a pie or two by request. And a few appitizers, b/c I love having it be like one whole day of noshing.

I am excited b/c I just love thanksgiving. It is the day before my birthday this year, and itis just my favorite holiday. It makes me all teary eyed and nostalgic. So many happy and sweet memories.

November 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are going to my aunt's and uncle's house in Fresno, which is about 3 hours away.

We'll be eating turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, rolls, etc. I'm making roasted fennel and brussel sprouts, a 4 cheese mac & cheese, and dessert (probably pumpkin pie and pecan pie, both from scratch and some cookies).

I'm looking forward to seeing my little cousin. She's 12, but she's the youngest cousin on my mom's side of the family next to me. I was the youngest for 14 years and then she was born. We're pretty close since I used to babysit her and stuff and now she is a super big helper with Lily when she's visiting. I'm also looking forward to seeing my grandmother. She has Alzheimer's and is starting to get very aggressive. They are pretty sure her disease is progressing and things are starting to go downhill. So I want to see her and get some more pictures of Lily and her just in case.

November 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I really love Thanksgiving as well, despite November being my least favorite month. I HATE NOvember. I tried to make a truce this year, but I don't think November is keeping it's side of the deal. BRUTAL.

What are your plans? Anyone hosting?

We are having it here with my inlaws. Although my MIL keeps trying to say she will have it there at every opportunity she has! I'm sick right now so she says "don't worry, we will have Thanksgiving here" seriously? ugh. She fusses so much.

What will you be eating? I ordered a turkey from a local farm (30 miles or so, not totally local, but best I could do) that is all organic and free range. I am really happy about that. I will make a cranberry chutney, pumpkin mushroom soup, stuffing, green bean casserole (no one likes it but me, but I LOVE it), my MIL is making creamed onions (yum) and I will do a squash. My MIL is making a pie.

eating of course!!! Also we are going to be going away for the weekend by ourselves, Cadie will be going back with my inlaws. We're going to see some concerts. Hopefully I will feel well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search