What made you decide?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you don't mind me asking, what made you ladies decide to choose NCB?
December 12th, 2009, 05:17 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was reading about water births and birthing pools and I really liked the idea of it. I didnt realize it had to be NCB to use it but im TOTALLY prepared to go through it for my lil bean!

December 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I didnt really have a choice I was asking for the epi as I was getting ready to push. She came within 30 minutes of arriving at the hospital. But I plan on doing it all natural with our next one.

December 12th, 2009, 06:03 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I trusted my body, I didn't want a c-section. I have wanted a NCB for as long as I can remember. I played midwife with my barbies and the Ken was not the doting, loving husband, but the scary OBGYN that was always trying to cut the babies out. I never even considered anything else to be an option.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I researched it before DS's birth and it really sounded like it was the best choice health-wise for mom and baby. Unfortunately I underestimated how difficult it would be (especially when they started with the interventions) and should have prepared myself better. But I learned from that experience and will hopefully be successful this time. Plus I really would like to experience what my body can do naturally without the use of drugs.

December 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I'm being completely honest, it's two things: (1) fear of the epidural - the idea of a needle in my spine freaks me out! and (2) my second pregnancy was too emotional, so when it came time for labor with Dean, I wanted to experience every last bit of it.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

December 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
To me, natural childbirth just seemed like that, well, natural thing to do! I mean, women have been doing this for hundreds upon thousands of years without any sort of interference or drugs, so why can't I? It just really irks me that people have gotten so out of touch with what is natural, and that they try to make it seem like women can't have a NCB. Well, I want to prove all those types of people wrong. Moreso, though, it's just what I feel is right to do. While I'm not a super gung-ho naturalist (for instance, I admire and am thankful for many of the medicinal developments in science, such as vaccines), I am still very much in tune with my body and nature, and I intend on bringing my baby into this world the way that I was made to do so.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Your responses made me tear up.

Christine, I have a fear of the needle as well!

I've seen many epi's being done at work and it just looks painful. Plus I know it is healthier for baby and mom to go nautral, I am going to try my best and I plan on succeeding....
December 13th, 2009, 10:05 AM
frugality=reality
I did a lot of reading when I was pregnant with my first. I knew that I definitely wanted to breastfeed. When I found out that sometimes, babies born after mom had an epi were too tired to nurse well, I decided no way would I ever do that. Even if I was a lucky one whose baby wasn't too tired, I'd have to risk it first to find out. There was no way I was doing that. I knew I wanted to breastfeed within a couple minutes of birth, and I didn't want to risk anything messing up my plan.

Same with the subsequent babies... and then my third was a horrible birth with a drug pushing nurse, and that's when I decided I didn't want another hospital birth. I knew if I had any more, they'd be at a birth center or at home. I opted for the birth center since we don't have a good hospital close enough to home just in case there's an incident.

I trust my body to do what's it is made to do: give birth.
December 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM
bkro9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me it was research, I am certified in prenatal yoga and learned a great deal on how the body works, and how lying on your back in a hospital bed is the WORST position to be in. And I want the best chance possible of having a natural birth. I've also had brain surgery this year and I can tell you that a hospital is NOT the most supportive, healing, warm place that it should be! I'm ready for a positive experience.

December 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Becky I am sorry to hear of your surgery.
I work in a hospital and i can agree that it is not the most comforting or supportive place to be.
In February I was in the cardiovascualr intensive care unit (CVICU) because I got blood clots in my lungs, and it sucked!
December 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Becky I am sorry to hear of your surgery.
I work in a hospital and i can agree that it is not the most comforting or supportive place to be.
In February I was in the cardiovascualr intensive care unit (CVICU) because I got blood clots in my lungs, and it sucked!
December 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first I got the epi because everyone said it the pain was so bad, you can't stand it. I did it and believed it because I was a young impressionable girl and just thought that was what you do. But through out my time as a mom I met remarkable women who CHOSE to go natural and though I wasn't always agreeing with them, I was amazed at their courage. My cousin has her babies at home and is amazing. I spent a good year with horrible health while ttc my second and found many natural ways of helping my body heal and my thoughts just went to how wonderful the body is and how good I felt with things being natural. I just wanted to FEEL this next birth, you don't feel as connected with the epi, and I researched until I was blue in the face. I was very ready and prepared and so glad I was too, because she ended up being only a 2 hour birth. I loved it! DH and I talk about how connected we felt to the birth and to each other and wished we had known enough to do it the first time. It was just amazing and that was my journey that lead me to decide it.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

December 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Do you ladies have any advice for me while I am in labor and attempting a NCB?
December 14th, 2009, 06:17 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there is tons of advice in here! Keep reading posts and asking questions and you'll learn so much.

I think the keys to NCB success are preperation, dedication and support. So make sure you have your bases covered!

For me I see many epis and the horrid side effects and bad treatment/lack of care/ lack of informed consumers in hospitals and truely believe birth belongs at home. It is safest and best for me and my baby, and I believe 100% in my body's ability to birth my baby naturally.

December 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
noworries
The first thing that got me thinking about NCB was my cousin's horrific experience with the epidural and I thought "why go through that when I don't have to". So, I started doing research and NCB just made sense to me. I don't want to risk any possible side effects to myself or my baby.
December 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Regular
I read a lot with my first. The books that emphasized the medical nature of birth really just made me cringe-- I didn't feel like my pregnancy was some medical event, so I couldn't see the birth being treated that way either. So I started reading more stuff with the emphasis on the "natural", and I learned about the cascade of interventions, and the interference with natural pain relieving hormones, and how so much of the stuff that the medical establishment considers "normal" is really the opposite...
I took a Bradley class too, and learned a lot about it all there too.
I don't think I was prepared well enough though-- I'm not sure anyone is for their first. I did end up in that cascade of interventions for my first, and was really upset for a long time afterward whenever I thought about the birth and how it all went. It was just a matter of having these interventions brought up to me, and I took them because I didn't know what to do instead.
I didn't let that happen with my second though! I was a walking childbirth encyclopedia by that point, and I made the right choices to have the birth I needed to have-- and the difference was amazing!

Advice for planning a natural birth? Read! Everything you can get your hands on, but especially stuff on the "crunchy" end-- Henci Goer is awesome- a great place to start. Watching Born In the USA and The Business of Being Born is a good launching place too. Taking a natural birth oriented class is a really good idea (Bradley, Hynobirthing, Birthing From Within). Hiring a doula! And question your care provider til you're blue-- make sure the two of you are on the same page- and have her SIGN your birth plan.
December 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Formerly LyndaSLP
I decided I want to try a natural childbirth because I know it is what the female body was made for. I researched it and saw that getting an epidural can lead to the possibility of a cascade of further medical interventions. I've also found out that those with a weak back can have longer lasting back problems resulting from the placement of an epidural (I had such bad back problems for about 7 months leading up to getting pregnant as well as their being a family history of degenerative back problems). I don't want to take those risks. I know my mother went through 18 hours of labor with me without pain meds, even after induction, and that inspires me that I have her strength and motivation.

***PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PREGNANCY ON FACEBOOK***
December 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm having a homebirth so I don't even have an option. With my first son I took Nubain, I really wasn't in pain, but was exhausted. It was horrible. It lasted 20 minutes and made me feel extremely sick. Then I took the epidural to get rid of the effects of the nubain. Epidural worked 45 minutes and then the contractions were just as bad. I didn't go numb or anything like they said. Just back contractions went away for a little bit. I get back aches, 2 years later, from the injection site. No thanks, not for me to do again. I felt everything when I birthed my son, and it really wasn't that bad. I had the "ring of fire" when he came out, but only lasted a few minutes. Recovery wasn't bad either, I didn't take any of the pain medications they gave me. I think I can do without all drugs this time, my body was made to do this. And if it doesn't, that's a whole different story/situation.
December 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I really wanted to have a natural birth with my DD, but I chickened out once I got to the hospital. My problem was that I didn't have the dedication, and I hadn't done enough research on it to feel prepared. I didn't feel too disappointed about the experience until I got pregnant this time. I started feeling like I had missed out on the real childbirth experience because I couldn't feel a darn thing. I am making sure that my family knows my choice this time so I have the support, and I've done tons of reading already. My mom had my sister and I without an epidural, and she was induced with me. I feel like if she can do it, and women have been doing it for years, then I could do it too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search