Natural Sleep Remedies?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Sorry if this has been asked before...too tired to look through the old posts. lol

But do you ladies know of any natural sleep remedies safe during pregnancy? I have the WORST pregnancy insomnia (started a topic about it in the April DDC), and I am in very bad pain that makes it even harder to get comfortable and fall asleep (hips, shoulders, etc). I'm hoping there's a natural "sleeping pill," so to speak, so that maybe I'll be too tired to stay awake with the pain.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
you can take unisom in pregnancy. Dr Bach's rescue remedy for sleep is a homeopathic sleep aid.

December 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was also going to recommend Bach's Rescue Sleep remedy. It's a spray you just squirt in your mouth.
December 14th, 2009, 08:25 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I wasn't sure if the sleep rescue was safe during pregnancy, although I know rescue remedy is.

I normally use "moon drops" when I'm having trouble sleeping, they are homeopathic but they say not to use during pregnancy on the box. My other go to is "nighty night balm" by Badger which is lavender but I don't think we are supposed to do lavender while pregnant either. The smell now repulses me anyway.
December 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, ladies. Perhaps I'll talk to my midwife about unisom.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you can do lavender while preg. I take a bath with a drop or two of Lav EO and candles, then crawl into bed and sleep better then a baby!

I've also taken skull cap (tincture) once in a while. It's a strong herb, so I take only 10 drops in a full cup of water, and sleep so well. I also do valarien root, which is even stronger if I really need it- same doseage.

But it sounds like you might benefit just as much from dealing with the pain, so you can consider treatment with arnica to relieve your muscle soreness and discomfort, as well as increasing your oil intake (especially flax seed/fish oils) b/c that is super beneficial.

December 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I definitely don't include fish oils... I don't know which foods flax oils are in, or how I could incorporate it. I'm a very picky eater.

You seem like you know a lot about herbs. I'm too anxious to try strong herbal remedies, especially if they haven't been FDA-approved for pregnant women. Have the herbs that you mentioned been okayed for pregnant women by the FDA?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I don't know... you'd have to google it I suppose. The FDA isn't a total authority for me, but I can highly reccomend the book "wise woman herbal for the childbearing year" by susan weed as a guide to herbs for pregnancy/BFing. There isn't much medical community research about herbs, especially in pregnancy, b/c there just isn't so much to gain financially from them. Our research in the country is so dollar driven it is disgusting... and if pharm. companies can't brand, market and patent the product it isn't gonna get very well tested. But herbs have been in use for hundreds/thousands of years, so there is definately a basis for knowing they are safe. Again, susan weed's book is a wonderful source!

I also just ask my midwife, and she has okay'd everything I'm doing. She's very knowledgeable about herbs, thankfully! A direct entry midwife is going to be a much better source of natural info then a CNM (hospital based midwife) typically, so I'm not sure which type of midwife you're seeing.

Flax seed oil you can buy in a health food store. I get one that is lemon flavored and use it on salads, and have a plain one that I use to cook eggs and such. Fish oils are traditionally taken as capsules.

December 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I recommend melatonin or a calicum supplement...

Calcium has a natural sedative effect...
December 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks again, all!

I haven't met all my midwife options yet, but the one that I met with on my last appt (who didn't seem to know what to say when I told her that I wanted a NCB ), is a CNM. I didn't know what that meant, but maybe that's why she wasn't what I expected. I might just have to switch to a different clinic if I can't find any midwife there who is the type I need for support and NCB information.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I guess Im confused about what you mean by natural remedy? Anything that is considered natural isn't going to be regulated by the FDA. They only deal with things that companies make big money on. They push things through really quickly and do a very poor job when it comes to food. Look at all the drugs that get taken off the market all the time after they have done damage. Not to mention all the diet drugs.

Just remember that most drugs on the market are created to mimic things in nature! I'm not trying to be rude, this just happens to be one of my pet peeves.

Have you tried yoga for your discomfort?
December 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
I guess Im confused about what you mean by natural remedy? Anything that is considered natural isn't going to be regulated by the FDA. They only deal with things that companies make big money on. They push things through really quickly and do a very poor job when it comes to food. Look at all the drugs that get taken off the market all the time after they have done damage. Not to mention all the diet drugs.

Just remember that most drugs on the market are created to mimic things in nature! I'm not trying to be rude, this just happens to be one of my pet peeves.

Have you tried yoga for your discomfort?
Was going to say just this but ya beat me to it Cheryl!! Ditto to everything!
December 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
a CNM is a nurse midwife- they have training first in nursing, then in midwifery. Generally direct entry midwives work only in home/birth cneters, and CNMs work in hospitals. CNMs are typically medically minded and more often then not are like OBs in the way they practice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search