I feel like I'm letting my daughter down again!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I need to quit having mommy guilt...

I broke down and gave Noelle a pacifier today...

I am freaking out because...
1. the pedi told us to wait until a month old
2. I am afraid she won't want to latch on for BFing...

I have been BFing Noelle still and quite often and she has also be receiving a bottle of pumped breast milk so DH can feed her and she still latches on fine... do you think she will still want to latch on now that she had the paci??

She is almost 3 weeks and tonight I gave her the pacifier and she only had it in her mouth for about 5 mins then fell asleep... I gave her the paci because all she seemed to want to do is suckle and to be honest my nipples are raw!!!!
December 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
don't feel like you are letting her down at ALL!! Some babies just have a stronger need to suck. All three of mine have been like that. Courtney to the point where she would overeat and throw up. She's nursing well and at almost 3 weeks old she should be just fine! I generally have introduced a pacifier around 1.5-2 weeks old and they've had no problems

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I breastfed my son for 12 months and we used a binky from day 1, if I recall. We'll likely do the same thing with my daughter. I don't think it's a big deal at all, give yourself a break!!
December 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't worry about it. I gave my DD1 a binkey around 4 weeks old because she was having one of those nights. Nothing would make her happy. Binkey got us both some sleep. It never caused us any problems. (She didn't even latch until she was 6 weeks old, I was pumping and feeding w/ a bottle..) I was going to wait and see with DD2 but she spent her first four days in the NICU so I consented her first night for them to give her one to make her more comfortable. No problems with her either. Do what you need to do to keep yourself sane and try not to worry too much, you're doing a great job!

December 15th, 2009, 05:04 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
don't worry about it. you are doing fine. have you talked to your midwife or dr to discuss your emotions? maybe it is some PPD going on for you.

DD never took a pacifier, we tried EIGHT different ones, LOL.

December 15th, 2009, 05:41 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I gave Cadie a binkie at about 2 weeks, but she never was overly crazy about it. If anything maybe back off the bottle and go to every other day if you're really worried. Just don't offer the binkie too often for a few more weeks. But the choice is yours.

Personally Im against pedi's giving parenting advice. It sounds like you're doing great. Just trust your instincts!
December 15th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree- trust your instincts! I've had two paci babies and they never had any trouble nursing.

December 15th, 2009, 07:18 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Little Man was using me as a pacifier in the beginning, so I gave him a pacifier at about three days old and he still likes to use it often. He is a champion at breastfeeding, so there was no harm done from using pacifiers. Sucking a pacifier makes him happier, so although I had planned on not giving him one, I am not regretful of having done so. Sometimes our little ones have their own needs and as Mommies, we have to change up the plan and compromise for what works best for our babies. Maybe Noelle just needs that pacifier and she'll be happier with it. Don't worry, Mama. You're doing your best and you're doing a fine job.

December 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
From my experience, pacifiers are less likely to cause problems than bottles. They don't associate a pacifier with food, a bottle they can though. I know there are some who warn that a pacifier can cause nipple confusion, but I've never heard of it happening, especially with a baby who is already a few weeks old.

Both of my girls have used a pacifier at some point. Abby got one from a few days old until she was about 3 months when she stopped taking it. Anna was never a fan, but she took it occasionally until she was about 6-7 months old. Neither one has ever had a problem latching on.

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
December 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
"Sometimes our little ones have their own needs and as Mommies, we have to change up the plan and compromise for what works best for our babies. Maybe Noelle just needs that pacifier and she'll be happier with it. Don't worry, Mama. You're doing your best and you're doing a fine job"

yes yes yes. I like the way you talk.
December 15th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess I am just too hard myself...

Yes I am a control freak and if things don't go to plan then I kinda feel derailed...

I just want the best for my daughter... And I just want to be able to have her breastfeed...

Thanks ladies I am more at ease... I have just read numerous things and started freaking out because they talk about nipple confusions...

And the past three days she has barfed up pretty much anything I feed her so I think she is over eating just to suckle at the breast because if I or DH feed her from a bottle she doesn't throw up anything...

I am more at ease ladies... Thank you so much!
December 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is okay - you are doing great. I gave DS#2 a pacifier at 3 weeks old and it did not impact our nursing at all.
Now he's 18 months old and if I could just get him to give it up - but that is another story!
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

December 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We also used a paci from day one and she did fine.

December 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You're doing great!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
I breastfed my son for 12 months and we used a binky from day 1, if I recall. We'll likely do the same thing with my daughter. I don't think it's a big deal at all, give yourself a break!!
Ditto! All 3 of my kids had it from day 1 and never had any issues. Only issue I had was with Oliver and it was b/c he was tongue-tied.... once that was clipped, all was fine. I found the paci to actually help when he was tongue-tied.
Oliver (7) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.

December 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well the past couple of days Noelle has been fussy and even the paci wasn't helping her suckling urge...

Sooooo.... She wanted the breast... I guess it is a good thing that she actually prefers the breast to the paci and bottle... DH was having a darn time trying to get her to take a bottle today but she latched on like a champ...

I am relieved to know she prefers the boobie...
December 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She sounds like Brylie and it ended up being silent reflux! Try taking her to a chiropractor - they fixed the constant nursing AND the spitting up! They don't adjust baby's like they do adults - they just do some massage on their c-spine, head, and lumbar spine

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My little man is a paci-aholic and breastfeeds like a champ, I gave him a paci the day after he was born because he had, and still has, such a strong suck. I don't see anything wrong with pacis if it comforts a baby.
December 17th, 2009, 04:42 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad all is well with you mama! And I agree with a PP- pedi's are not qualified to give parenting advice for the most part!!!!!

December 17th, 2009, 08:22 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
don't feel like you are letting her down at ALL!! Some babies just have a stronger need to suck. All three of mine have been like that. Courtney to the point where she would overeat and throw up.
Same here!...We ended up giving BE a paci the day after he was born! He just wanted to suck! and we never had any issues with BF!

You have to do what's best for you and your baby(as only you know what's best!)...if you feel she needs it, then I'm sure she will be fine!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search