Induction advice needed

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Veteran
I am really hoping she comes on her own before then, but if not, we are scheduled for an induction on Thursday morning at 8:00am (16 days past EDD). I have such mixed feelings about this. We really wanted a totally natural childbirth. I really don't want to take Pitocin or anything else, but I guess there may not be any way around that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to approach the induction and try to get as few meds and interventions as possible. My childbirth coach said to ask them to give me the smallest dose of Pitocin possible and to discontinue when my contractions pick up to see if my body takes over. Should I allow them to try to ripen my cervix first or not? I also don't want to have my water broken any time soon. I want to be able to walk around to help labor progress, plus I feel like that limits the amount of time they will let you labor. My ultimate goal is to have a healthy child and to avoid a c-section at all costs. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much :-)

Thank you claire1979 for the beautiful siggy!
December 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
have you tried acupuncture? One session might do it since you are so "overdue"
December 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Veteran
Yes, I have had three treatments, plus acupressure from a friend of mine who is a massage therapist. I have tried just about everything except castor oil. Nothing is working!

December 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
wow! What about black cohosh? Do you know about it? I think that's where I would be heading personally.
December 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How firm is you EDD? Is it based on your LMP? Were you charting? Did you have fertility treatments?

If you are going by LMP alone, you are not post-dates until you hit 42 weeks. You do not have to go to the induction. There is no harm in waiting as long as you and baby are okay. Agree to a NST and a BPP, let them do the ultrasounds and use expectant management unless there is an issue.

If you have pitocin, even the smallest amount you will have to spend some time in bed while they monitor your BP. If they ripen your cervix you will have to stay in bed for about 1-2 hours. The drugs used to ripen the cervix can cause hyperstimulation of the uterus, which can cause uterine rupture for you or compression (heart decelrations) for the baby, both of which would lead to an emergency c-section. Avoid cytotec (misoprostol) it is a very dangerous drug.

Also address any concerns you might have about birth or just the thought of ending the pregnancy and becoming a mommy (as much as we want the baby to be born, some women miss being pregnant). Our brains are very strong and if there is something going on it can keep labor from happening. Stress can also be a factor so try to relax. Take a warm bath, have a drink (yes, like a beer or glass of wine), have sex, or just orgasm, sex isn't really required.

If there are no complications, baby will come when baby is ready. If you induce too soon you could end up with a surgery.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Veteran
I was a little afraid to use that. I read that it makes you blead more, which could be an issue if I end up having to have a c-section. Since I have not really dialated or softened much, my Bishop's score is lower, which gives me a higher chance of a c-section. If I can just avoid the c-section at this point, I will be happy.

December 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your best bet at avoiding the c-section is avoiding the induction. Like I said, unless the baby is showing signs of distress, or you are showing signs of complications, waiting is your best option.

How long are your cycles?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Veteran
We tried for about eight months and used ovulation strips. My cycles were like clockwork, always 28 days and I always ovulated on the 14th day. That's why I really do think I am 15 days past EDD as of today. I hate to have an induction. However, if I need to have one I am really happy about having my doctor do it tomorrow. I feel so comfortable with her and she really listens to me. The other doctors are good doctors, but don't make me feel so relaxed. I feel like this will hopefully help with the process tomorrow. The more relaxed I am, the better my body will cooperate (hopefully). I have already had a few NSTs and amniotic fluid checks, which have all been fine. My last NST was iffy. She took a while to respond to anything, but she eventually did. I am also concerned about waiting too long. My two year old nephew was perfectly fine and healthy until the day he was born. THey had went for an appointment on a Sunday and he was great. Two days later, there was barely a heartbeat. Now he has severe cerebral palsy. I know this is unlikely to happen, but I would rather not chance it. It would devastate our family. While I really want a natural childbirth both for our child's and my health, I ultimately want a healthy child in the end. I trust my doctor to help us achieve that, even if it's not the way we had planned. I am still going to try to avoid as many drugs and interventions as possible.

Can they just do pitocin and skip the cervical ripener (I am only 50% effaced and not very softened) or would that be less likely to work and lead to a c-section?

December 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I thought of this last night as I wad trying to fall asleep. Hypnobabies has a track you can download. If you do that now and listen a few times today you could go into labor before tomorrow. Worth a shot.

Hypnobabies hypnosis for child birth that really works

ditto on the orgasm. If you have a marital aid get it out!
December 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Veteran
Also, my hypnobirthing coach said last night that for some reason pizza is a good food for helping to bring about labor... she's not sure why but it seems to work... At this point I'm sure you are willing to try anything. Good luck
December 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally I would see if they would do the prostaglandin gel on your cervix because that alone can put you into labor and I would rather use that before trying Pitocin. When I was induced with my first DD they used the gel and it started contractions a few hours later. No need for pitocin until my labor "wasnt progressing"...(so the OB could get home for dinner).

Anyways you can do it either way. Hopefully you will only need a little push to get things moving. Ill be thinking of you!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
December 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Regular
I'd second the "avoid the induction" advice. If you're being carefully monitored and everything looks good, there's no medical reason to induce-- so why do it?

Someone else also said to look at what you might be bringing psychologically to the birth-- is there something that you fear about it, or don't feel ready for? Is there something you haven't gotten done yet?

Other thoughts to get things going though-- go swimming! People have mixed opinions on castor oil, but it might be worth a shot. Nipple stimulation, pressure points, clary sage essential oils (but ask someone who knows what they're doing with it beforehand-- the same with cohosh). I've heard wonderful things about eggplant parmesan too.
December 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Veteran
Okay, I gave in and took the castor oil. I just took my second tablespoon. Hopefully this will help.

December 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by johblues View Post
Also, my hypnobirthing coach said last night that for some reason pizza is a good food for helping to bring about labor... she's not sure why but it seems to work... At this point I'm sure you are willing to try anything. Good luck
Thats very interesting!! I went way past my EDD, so I was scheduled for an induction as much as I was against it. Good thing, cause the placenta was starting to go apparently. Anyways, I went to the hospital and had Cerdivil put in (like a tampon, on a string, ripens the cervix) I was assured by the nurses and my OB that it woudlnt induce me. I was given a pill to help me sleep and come back in at 7am for the oxytocin (pitocin) Well, guess what, the cerdivil started my labour, guess my cervix just needed a "boost". The funny part is, we stopped for pizza on the way home before I went to bed, guess thats what did it I know personally, I would never use anything on the cervix that cant be pulled out. No gel, no cytotec. Never know when one will have a bad reaction to it.

December 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
wonder how things went?
December 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone heard anything yet?

Expecting baby #4!

December 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
argh i was hoping for an update!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013