Thank you so much for all your advice! Amanda Noelle is here!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to take a minute to thank you ladies for all of your help! We are so happy to have our baby girl here with us! I didn't get the natural birth I had hoped for, but really feel so happy to have done the research and feel like I made informed decisions that were the best given the circumstances.

I'm going to post our story here so you can read it, I didn't think it really belonged in the birth stories part since it didn't end up so natural- and I found reading them so inspiring while preparing for my birth.

I went to bed with some mild contractions on Sunday night thinking nothing of them. I got up a few times noticing them getting worse. At 1:20 they were strong enough I didn't feel like going back to sleep, so I started timing them. They were 4-5 minutes apart and lasting for a minute for the most part. After an hour DH heard me walking aroung and got up to check on me. We then called my doula (AKA our Angel!) After talking to her we decided to take showers, have breakfast etc. and slowly work towards leaving for the hospital. I called the doc and gave her the heads up that we thought we should come in.

We got to the hospital around 3:30 or 4 AM and they put me in a room and on the monitors. I was contracting 3-4 minutes apart at that time - but the pattern wasn't perfect and I was only dialated to just under 2 at that time (I had been 1.5 a few days earlier at the doctor.) Unfortunately the baby was showing decels with my contractions. So, I got put on oxygen and an IV and after a half hour to an hour the decels stopped. So, we started walking the halls. About 10 AM I was at 3-4cm and doing well. At noon I reached 5 cm and they broke my water to try and help things along since Amanda's HR was on the high side and she was still having the occational decel although overall looked good. My contractions got noticably harder after my water broke but I was still coping well. I had the most encouraging L & D nurse- she was truely a super star and between her and my doula we were extremely well looked after. At 3:30 they checked me again and I had made no progress. At that point since I was getting tired and the baby's heartrate was still higher than they liked they suggested I get an epi so I would be better prepared to push when it came time. I decided to go for it as I was really struggling. We also found a lot of meconium when my water broke, so that combined with the high HR, decels and being nearly a week after my due date made them not want to let me keep going after nearly 4 hours of no progress even with my water being broken.

I slept for like an hour and woke up feeling like I had to pee like a race horse (and I had a catheter.) I also felt like I had to poop. So at 5 they checked me and to everyone's suprise I was complete! So, we got ready to push. When I started pushing the baby's heart rate got into the high 180s and the docs were concerned. They did okay when I pushed on my left side, but were higher on my back and esp right side with decels. I even got to squat at the squat bar. I pushed for all I was worth. She was at +1 and a little lower, but stopped moving and the doc said she would let me keep going for a half hour (which made it two hours total) but the HR was hitting 190 at times. So, with no more progress despite doing everything I could the decision was made that the baby was just having too much stress so we went in for a C-Section.

more later...

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
December 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
noworries
While it may not have been the birth that you wanted, I'm glad to hear that you are at peace with what happened and that Amanda is here. We'd love to see pictures of her.
December 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats!! Can't wait to see some pictures!
December 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
sorry- we're still in the hospital and having some issues with Amanda not peeing - but while I was taking a from typing break she had her first pee diaper in just over 48 hours! I feel so relieved!

The C-Section went pretty well considering - the doctors and everyone were super nice - esp the anestesiologist. I was having trouble concentrating - they had to give me a lot of epenedrin - I think that's what it was since my BP dropped to like 70/40 or something when they were trying to get me ready for the C-Section.

DH said I did a good job of wedging the baby into my pelvis since it took two people pushing from the outside and the doctor standing on a stool with her hands in up to her elbows to pull the baby back out again. Poor little girl got some good bruising on her head and upper torso in the process! The doctor told me after that she was sunny side up and with the way she got wedged in she didn't think she would have come out even with 2 more hours of pushing.

Due to the meconium and HR issues she got wisked away to the warming station immediately - but they let DH trim the cord to length since he didn't get to do the initial cut. He also got to take her into recover and do skin to skin with her while they finished stitching me up.

As soon as I was rolled out my doula helped me start breastfeeding- which was awesome as I was pretty loopy at that point.

So- that's our story! It isn't the ideal story - but at least I hit a few of the base goals I set with my doula of waiting til 5cm for my water to be broken or to get an epi if I decided I needed one. So- I feel like I got to experience a large part of the birth. It was a totally amazing experience that is nearly impossible to describe. I'll never be able to forget how incredibly kind and encouraging everyone who helped me was (well there was one looney anestesiologist - but it makes a good story when he started throwing stuff...) My DH was amazing the entire time he even cried with me when they said it was time for a C-Section. Of course the best part is our baby girl who I could never understand how much I would love until now!

Okay - here are a few pictures:

Thank you again for all of your great information! You were all so helpful to me getting ready for her birth! I hope you all have beautiful births!

December 17th, 2009, 02:49 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, she looks so alert! You'd think she was a month old! Sorry it didn't go as hoped but I'm glad everything worked out and all are healthy. She's beautiful, congratulations!
December 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
She's gorgeous!! I'm sorry that you didn't get the birth that you wanted but it sounds like there wasn't much option given your situation.

December 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Look at those eyes- she is gorgeous! Congrats on your beautiful daughter!!! I'm proud of you for accomplishing many of your goals. Our bodies and babies don't always allow us to meet all of our goals, but we do the best we can. I'm glad she's happy and healthy!

Come visit my blog!
December 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She is beautiful, congratulations! I'm sorry you did not get the birth you wanted, but I'm glad you seem at peace about your experience. Enjoy your new baby girl!

Expecting baby #4!

December 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Congratulations on a beautiful baby girl! I love her eyes!

December 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
she is BEAUTIFUL! Your birth story is wonderful! Things don't always go as planned, but its a beautiful story nonetheless!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! She's adorable!

December 18th, 2009, 05:19 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
congrats!!! she is just beautiful

December 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Congrats!! She is a doll!!

December 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations on your beautiful daughter! I'm sorry you couldn't have a natural birth like you planned, but you did what was best for you and your little lady and that's what all of us Mommies have to do.

December 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She is gorgeous! Congrats on your baby girl! Sorry you didn't get the birth that you wanted it but you have a healthy baby girl and that's what matters most!
December 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! She is such a beautiful baby girl. I hope your recovery is smooth and fast!

December 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats! she is really beautiful!
December 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
sorry your birth didn't go as planned but OH MY GOSH she is GORGEOUS! congrats!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

December 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for the well wishes ladies! We are just totally amazed by this whole experience and our new daughter!

December 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
she's a total cutie! sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, but it sounds like you have a really positive outlook on it, and that's fantastic. congrats!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search