I finally got to watch it!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I finally got to watch "The Business of Being Born"! It was EXCELLENT!!! I would highly recommend it to anyone! In fact, I think that everyone (no matter what type of birth they are going for) could benefit from watching it!

The really neat part was, that I got to watch it with my best friend, who (though not pregnant yet, and really wants a baby) has a huge fear of Drs, and is very apprehensive/nervous about labor, birth, and even a midwife! She knows she want's to go natural, but was just so fearful of it all! She said after watching it, "Wow! I'm not so afraid anymore!" I was sooo excited to hear her say that!!

December 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I watched this movie like 100x while I was pregnant, and I watched it while my induction was first starting to pass the time.....it really reminded me of why I was there, but made me feel guilty about the HELLP disease knowing what the pit was doing to Brylie

It's such a WONDERFUL documentary though

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 18th, 2009, 12:07 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got the free trial of Netflix and watched it online. Very good. I was looking for something modern on homebirth and this was definitely it.

December 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I liked it too. My husband was "working" next to me on the couch when I watched it and I caught him sneaking looks at it the whole movie, I think it convinced him!
December 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM
^^^Lol! That's great!

December 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
frugality=reality
Is this the documentary type movie with Ricki Lake in it? Does she have a homebirth? I saw an interview with her after she did a movie... but I don't remember.

Wonder where I'd be able to find it.
December 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
^^^ Yep! You can watch a trailer for it here-
The Business of Being Born

Not sure where else you could get it, (We watched it as an instant view on NetFlix) but they do sell it on their web sight for $20 here-
https://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/store_dvd.php

December 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
you can watch it on netflix

some of the ladies in my new DDC said they thought RL had a vendetta against hospital birth because she didn't like her experience the first time. I was like "really?" huh. I didn't get that vibe at all, but whatever. It's not for everyone I guess.
December 18th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hmmm...and why do you suppose she didn't like her first experience?

I should add that I had a very nice hospital birth, and never had to deal with any of the junk that a lot of the women on the film were dealing with. My experience was much like a free standing birthing center (very small hospital, so everything is quiet, and the staff is VERY NCB friendly!) But I also had a privet practice MW, so we were able to get to know each other, and she was willing to respect the decisions I made, and support me in them.

That being said, I don't think there's anything quite like home, and REALLY want my next to be a home birth!!

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; December 18th, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
December 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I love that movie!! I got a copy off of amazon a while ago- they have them fairly cheap.
It completely convinced DH about going the natural route- just couldn't convince him on the home birth.

December 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got my copy for like $9.00 on eBay....Homebirth is not for me (closest NICU is over an hour by car, 20 min or more by helicopter and closets hospital I wouldn't go to if I was dying (58% c-section rate)....but I am fortunate to have a very NCB friendly hospital and an amazing midwife, which I wouldn't have been able to find had it not been for BoBB

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
I saw it for the first time a couple months ago and LOVED it! (especially the clips from "Monty Python and the Meaning of Life"... we're huge Monty Python fans, LOL)

I also think that movie really convinced DH. Before, he was somewhat supportive of my intense desire for a natural childbirth... but he didn't quite understand why it was so important to me. This movie really got him to "get it".
December 18th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Regular
I'm not sure if this is against the rules or anything, and if so, I apologize, but you can watch it for free at www.midwife.tv- click on private theater.

For everyone who liked this also check out Born in the USA and Orgasmic Birth.
December 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
frugality=reality
I can tell you that I have a vendetta against hospitals because of my crappiest birth ever... and it's the reason I went to a BC for my last one, and the reason we'll be avoiding the hospital like the plague again this time. When hospitals act in a particular manner for someone intending a natural birth, it's hard not to! (not that I know RL's intentions with her first-only mine)
December 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
noworries
I know our library carries it so maybe check at your local library for it.
December 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH & I watched this back when it first came out a couple of years ago and was briefly available for free viewing on the website to 'get the word out' and it really was interesting to both of us. Since getting pregnant we wanted to watch it again and signed up for the free 30 day netflix trial so we could stream it online. I also went to my mom's and had her watch it. She had a NCB for me so she's supportive anyway, but I wanted her to understand more about why I'm so adamant about this. I think it's a great documentary and would benefit people to know/understand more whether they wanted a NCB or not.

December 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just downloaded it and watched it. I missed a bit though cause my kids kept needing things and I always forget to pause when I get up LOL. But from what I saw it was really good. Ill have to watch it again when the kids are asleep.

December 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i saw it a few years ago and when i was pregnant, i had my bf watch it to understand why i felt the way i did. he didnt want to watch it but after seeing it he understood. when his sister got pregnant, we sent her a copy of it. i dont know how much she really watched it or whether it affected her but at least we sent it. she did not end up having a natural child birth but had some issues regarding her epidural so i bet next time she might feel differently...
December 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by *SamF* View Post
I love that movie!! I got a copy off of amazon a while ago- they have them fairly cheap.
It completely convinced DH about going the natural route- just couldn't convince him on the home birth.
Ditto! But since he experienced the NCB of our son Jacob, he is totally down for a homebirth if we have another child. He thought I was crazy when I said I wanted to have a NCB (I had epis with my previous two deliveries) but after watching this documentary he totally understood. I had my mom watch it too because she was apprehensive as well. She heard me say MW and she got scared lol. Both my DH and my mom thank me for including them in the birth of Jacob. They say it was amazing.
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

December 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hollybear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
you can watch it on netflix

some of the ladies in my new DDC said they thought RL had a vendetta against hospital birth because she didn't like her experience the first time. I was like "really?" huh. I didn't get that vibe at all, but whatever. It's not for everyone I guess.
Yeah I saw that

I thought it was an amazing movie and truly is one of the real reasons that I even got interested in having a natural delivery. My husband watched it too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search