What do you ladies think about...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Giving children Tylenol? (I figured, if anybody, you ladies would have some info)

When it comes to a fever, I never give it, because 1) I feel the fever is there for a reason, and needs to be able to do it's job, and 2)I'm always afraid of it spiking back up when it wears off, and causing seizures...So we just stick with Chamomile tea, baths, etc...

But what about for teething purposes?! Does any one know of any bad (long or short term) side effects for giving it for pain? Like, can it be damaging to their bodies? (for instance, giving too many antibiotics isn't good for a their immune systems. Now obviously this is different, but I'm talking about stuff like that.)

I've always just tried to stay away from them in general, (I think BE's only had Tylenol twice in his life!) but recently he started teething again, and the homeopathic stuff we've always used with great success before, isn't proving to be as effective now

Just wondering what you ladies have heard, and if you have any advice (I'm really only concerned with nights, where we all need sleep!)

December 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Have you tried Hyland's teething tablets? they worked pretty well for us. I'm not opposed to giving Tylenol, but use it sparingly and only when nothing else is working. I know major overuse of Tylenol can have damaging effects on the liver in adults, so I would assume there's a similar risk to babies...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
We use a teething gel called Little Teethers. It isn't as harsh as Orajel and it seems to work pretty well. I like it and it is much more natural than using Tylenol or other medicines. HTH, Good luck!

December 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
Have you tried Hyland's teething tablets? they worked pretty well for us. I'm not opposed to giving Tylenol, but use it sparingly and only when nothing else is working. I know major overuse of Tylenol can have damaging effects on the liver in adults, so I would assume there's a similar risk to babies...
Yes, we use Hyland's a lot! Thanks for the info on Tylenol!(that's exactly what I was looking for!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMarie View Post
We use a teething gel called Little Teethers. It isn't as harsh as Orajel and it seems to work pretty well. I like it and it is much more natural than using Tylenol or other medicines. HTH, Good luck!
We've used Hyland's teething gel, but I've never heard of Little Teethers! We may have to give that a try! Where can you buy it?

December 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Tylenol scares me, we use Motrin when necessary. Hylands never did anything, but my son was always a crazy teether (ex: got his first 2 teeth at 4 months, cut 4 molars and 2 canines at the same time) so he usually needed the stronger meds. My son has only been very sick twice with Roseola and the Flu, and both times we pretty much just gave Motrin when the fever got around 102 at night and he was a bit delirious.
December 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Just out of curiosity...why does it scare you? and why is Motrin better?

December 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I have always read that Tylenol can cause liver damage, whereas Ibuprofen is easier on the liver. Ibuprofen seems to last longer too, so in the end I feel like I'm giving less than what I would have to get the same effect with Tylenol. My son also wakes up a lot with digestive pain when taking Tylenol- arching his back and crying. I don't know if there is scientific merit to that, I just definitely reach for the Ibuprofen when needed.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; December 20th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
December 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
Hmmm...ok, thank you!

December 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Cadie can get really bad fevers with teething too. What I basically do with her is this- I give her teething tablets or just straight belladonna if it's bothering her but she is still "alert" but I do give her something OTC if she is really delirious.

I have a sort of friend who is a Holistic MD and she told me about something called the warming socks method that is supposed to be wonderful for fevers. You need to get the feet really nice and warm with a bath or something like that (Cadie hates baths when she has a fever though so that can be tough) then while they are still warm, you put wet cotton socks on their feet. Then you cover those with dry wool socks. I believe this causes the immune system to kick into high gear and pulls toxins out of the body. That could be wrong. She told me about it last year and I tried it once but did it wrong. This year I am better prepared and have a nice big pair of wool socks. Babies supposedly sleep really well with this.

teething just sucks so bad
December 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have a problem with Tylenol. I don't use it constantly tho or anything. I always use my homeopathics first, then if that is not working move on to Tylenol. When I had Ben circumcised I think I gave it to him twice a day for 2 days...along with that also administered arnica. For babies I prefer Tylenol, but when they're bigger advil for kids. Tylenol in my experience only seems to work for babies....it quit working for my son around age 2 and that's when I would give him advil. It doesn't work for me either..so when I was pregnant I didn't even bother with it for my horrid headaches.
December 24th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Also, what about the concern of stomach irritation & internal beading caused from Ibuprofen? (I think that's why we always stuck with Tylenol)

December 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yeah, i've heard that about ibuprofin too. I suppose anytime you give your child medicine there's a potential side effect. I think the key is moderation, just don't overdo it.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
We've used Hyland's teething gel, but I've never heard of Little Teethers! We may have to give that a try! Where can you buy it?
I think that my MIL either got it at Fred Meyer or Walgreen's. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/185-6520984-0569007?ASIN=B000R3APH8&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000R3APH 8|Little_Teethers_Gel-.33_oz&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000R3APH8&ref=tgt_a dv_XSG10001
Here it is at Target.

December 24th, 2009, 10:38 AM
My son gets cramps with Tylenol and not Motrin so I have no idea about that one.
December 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've never had problems with Hunter teething. Didnt' cause fevers or crankyness. I only medicate if I can see Hunter is sick and not feeling well, which has only been once so far. If Hunter has a fever, I keep a close eye on it and if it starts to rise we give him Tylenol, otherwise he'll have a seizure. This started when he was 18 months and has had 3 seizures total, and 3 fevers. If we catch the fever on time, he won't have a seizure, if we don't, he'll have one. I use to get this as a child too, and it's something he'll grow out of at around 5 years old.
December 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
For teething, in addition to the Hylands line, I also really like Camila..

Camilia for Teething Relief by Boiron

As for using Tylenol or Motrin, I do use it with my girls when the natural remedies aren't working well, or if they are having a particularly hard time teething. As for fevers, I don't normally try to bring them down unless they are over 102 or 103. I get nervous when they are that high.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
yeah, i've heard that about ibuprofin too. I suppose anytime you give your child medicine there's a potential side effect. I think the key is moderation, just don't overdo it.
This is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMarie View Post
Cool! Thank you!

December 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
I tend to use Motrin before Tylenol if I have to give something. The only time I regularly did Tylenol was when she had Roseola and I had a hard time keeping her temp below 103 and I alternated Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours. I hated doing it, but her fever would spike after 3 hours.

Motrin can be hard on the stomach, but from my research, it seems the risk of Tylenol on the liver is higher than Motrin on the stomach, so I choose what I feel is the least risky of the 2. It also takes a lot more Motrin for a child to overdose than Tylenol, and I like that Motrin lasts 6-8 hours. The Tylenol bottle says you can give it every 4 hours, but I personally won't give it more often that 6 hours because it can put you too close to the daily max if given every 4.
December 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
^^ you said it better than I did.
December 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Motrin or Ibuprofen for infants says right on the label that it can cause stomach bleeding. It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory, which means they have to put that warning on. NSAIDS can cause stomach bleeding. Some of the labels also say that it should not be used in infants under the age of 6 months. Their gut is potentially not developed enough to handle it.

Tylenol says right on the label that it can cause liver damage. We use Tylenol when necessary because my husband's family has a rather extensive history of stomach troubles, so we just prefer to avoid ibuprofen, if possible.

For teething, we used the Hyland's tablets, but he spit them up a lot. We typically try a Popsicle in the evening before bed and we still keep teethers in the fridge. I've found that now that he's older, he uses them more often that when teething at a younger age. I try not to give Tylenol (or Motrin) for teething, but DH prefers to give it. For fevers, we alternate Tylenol and Motrin if it's a bad fever. The two are processed in different parts of the body and affect the body differently. We still keep the same hours between doses as recommended by the two separate medications.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search