Do we think alike?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ACOG Issues Revision Of Labor Induction Guidelines

So I read this article and the last paragraph says;
Quote:
"A physician capable of performing a cesarean should be readily available any time induction is used in the event that the induction isn't successful in producing a vaginal delivery," notes Dr. Ramin. Although rare, there are potential complications with some methods of labor induction. "These guidelines will help physicians utilize the most appropriate method depending on the unique characteristics of the pregnant woman and her fetus."
My mind also inserts anesthesiologist next to "physician capable of performing a cesarean" since they can't do surgery without one. Which then puts labor induction into the same category as VBAC, where there needs to be 24 hour anesthesiology and an OB at all times for TOL. So any hospital that bans VBAC should also not be performing an induction of labor since it has the same guidelines. Well, in my way of thinking anyway...lol.

I read the new ACOG guideline too. It clearly sates that 'post dates" is AFTER 42 weeks gestation. So much for OBs claiming you are 'overdue' at 40 weeks 1 day.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you make a GREAT point!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Interesting point!

December 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
totally!
December 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
~Jackie
That's a great point! I think I'm going to have to sneak this off to the debates...

Very insightful thinking there!
December 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Someone on the VBAC board pointed out that indcutions are scheduled. Which is true, so most are done during the day, but on the other hand the same criteria should be in place for augmentation of labor, which happens at any time of the day/night. So if you take it to debates and someone brings up the point there is a counter point to it

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 21st, 2009, 11:20 AM
~Jackie
That's what I was thinking as well - it's not just about induction because even if the methods aren't used to start labor, they're nearly always used to move it along.
December 22nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading that paragraph. And I agree that if that's the standard for induction, it should be for augmentation, too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search