Info for PA?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
My friend is pregnant and I'm really excited for that she's looking at her childbirth options!

I linked her here but in case she doesn't get a chance to come, I'd like to ask you ladies if you know of any Doulas or good birthing Centers in PA. Does anyone have any feedback on THIS one?

Thanks ladies!

She just told me she joined, so hopefully she'll be here soon!
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
December 28th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Sorry, I don't have any feedback for you, but you could always do a search on a doula organization website to find doulas near her. Most organizations that certify doulas have an online directory to find one near you. dona.org is a good place to start!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
December 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
That's exactly where I sent her tonight
˛ married to matt ˛
˛

3.5 years - still BFing

December 28th, 2009, 05:05 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I went there, as did 5 of my friends. Another poster here had 2 babies there as well they are the best. i can also give her some doula recommendations as well. if your friend has not signed up at the birth center, have her do it now. i signed up when i was 5 weeks and the previous month was already full.

December 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
ahhhh mgm!!!! you rock.
˛ married to matt ˛
˛

3.5 years - still BFing

December 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Super Mommy
Hello mommies:

I'm the new mommy-to-be!!

I am new to this whole process and would have thought the hospital way was the only way if Val didn't come into my life. Now, I'm aware of some options and I can't wait to start this journey.

I just called the birth center today and I scheduled myself for their orientation seminar next Saturday (Jan. 9th). I'm really excited!! Their sending me an information packet in the mail tomorrow and then I can make an initial visit appointment after the orientation.

I went to my first doctors visit ( with my regular gyno) today, everything seems to be goin well and he has sent me to go get my first ultrasound since we don't really know how far along I am. Well, that is all the news I have so far.

As far as Doula recommendations, I'm would be deeply appreciative. I really don't know how their services work but I think I will need all the support availible since my husband gets really anxious/nervous with certain things (e.g. spoke to him about how he may be able to be more apart of the delivery process like catching the baby and he almost turned blue just thinking about all the additional matter that comes out, lol.).

Thanks Val for all your advice, support, and encouragement!!

I'm open to learning anything you have to offer regrading prenatal care, breastfeeding, natural birth, slings, cloth diapering, etc.
December 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I had a GREAT experience at the birth center (although I did have a hospital transfer). You will learn a lot from the orientation session, make sure your DH is there It is a wonderful facility, right around the corner from the hospital, so it is kinda like the best of both worlds. The midwives are great and the care is above anything a gyno/ob could provide. My first visit was about 90 minutes long and every follow up 30 minutes. They are awesome with their phone call returns, 24 hours a day. When I had the hospital transfer, the midwife stayed with me the whole time and helped me breastfeed in the recovery room. After the birth, i never saw an OB/DR again, but the midwives came 3 times in the 1.5 days i was there to check in on me, they did a home visit 2 days after I got home and the midwife who attended the birth called me at home 2 weeks after and chatted for 45 minutes with me on the phone.

As far as doulas, I do know a few in the area.

here is the site for my doula and my friend's doula
Before, During & After Doula Service LLC

let me know if you have any other questions

December 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks again mgm78!! Val was right, you do ROCK

I'm super excited and can't wait for my orientation session at the Birth Center!

Check out my blog: http://jrsygurl4life.blogspot.com/

December 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you are close enough to be able to go there! I wanted to birth there but I can't because of my previous c-section.

I ended up using these midwives for a hospital birth in NJ (Trenton). If for some reason you risk out of the BC and need providers for a hospital birth, they are awesome. Of course driving to NJ may not be ideal, but they are worth the extra mileage.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
December 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
noworries
Maybe Val could be your doula
December 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Super Mommy
@ NutMeg: Thanks for the info. I will keep them in mind if the Birth Center falls through...

@ChisPaza: I would love for Val to be my doula (she was my best friend in highschool and I couldn't ask for anyone better to be there with me). The only problem is she lives in Vegas and I'm in PA.

January 1st, 2010, 11:22 PM
awww yay chele! So glad you came and introduced yourself

Missing your birth, eventhough it's still about 8 months away, kills me already
˛ married to matt ˛
˛

3.5 years - still BFing

January 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Veteran
Last time I checked into BM BC, they had about a 30% transfer rate. That's on the high side. This was a year or 2 ago but that is definitely something to ask them. Also about the reasons for the transfers.

Another BC in the area is Valley Birthplace. I'm not sure exactly where you are but they would probably be a little closer than BM BC. I've heard good things about one of the midwives there - Barbara D'Amato.

I used to work in Willow Grove and I think the midwives NutMeg mentioned might actually be about the same distance as the BMBC (depending on where you are of course). Now, if you looked at that hospital compared to a birth center, the birth center would win hands down (for looks and ambiance). However, I do know that the hospital has a very low epidural rate and is one of the few hospitals in the region embrace a natural-birth friendly atmosphere while also being a regional perinatal unit and handling high risk birth.

One other thing - have you considered homebirth? There are awesome homebirth midwives in the Philly area. There is really no safety advantage to being in a birthing center unless the BC is much closer to a hospital than your home. Homebirth midwives bring all the supplies you need with them. Just a thought.

Good luck to you!! I'm always glad to hear that women are considering options other than the traditional doctor/hospital.

January 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
I too have been thinking of suggesting homebirth to you Chele.
˛ married to matt ˛
˛

3.5 years - still BFing

January 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Super Mommy
Considering my health throughout my life, I think the birth center (BC) is the way I would go. (I have/had the following: Asthma, Kidney stones, Gallbladder stones, kidney infection, bladder infections, etc.)

Also, my husband's anxiety wouldn't be able to handle a home-birth. He doesn't really feel comfortable with the BC at this point. I'm hoping that after our orientation session on Saturday he will support the idea. He is just really worried about the complications and the lack of baby monitoring throughout the process.

At the end of the day, I think having the hospital across the street from the BC allows me to feel comfort for the JUST IN CASE moments.

Thanks for the suggestions.

January 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
After the orientation at the BMBC your DH will feel very comfortable. I kinda tricked DH into going, he was not really aware of where we were going when we had the orientation, and when we left he said he could not see me anywhere else. I was a hospital transfer and my good friend had one at the BC and one was a transfer. They do have a relatively high transfer rate, BUT the midwives go wtih you and have FULL priveledges in the hospital, so unless you have a c-section, the midwife will deliver your baby and be with you in the hospital and will visit you many times in the hospital. They also helped me breastfeed in recovery after my c-section.

let us know how the orientation goes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search