OT: your baby can read

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm sure everyone has heard about this program. If not here is the site- http://www.yourbabycanread.com/.

My question is simple- WHY WOULD YOU WANT YOUR BABY TO READ???
I don't get it. Sure, it is probably amazing and cute, but it just seems like a way to really set your kid up for problems later on. What are they going to do in school, when everyone else is learning how to read? Get pushed up a grade or two, and be emotionally and socially behind their peers?

if someone feels differently, please fill me in! I'd love to look at it differently.
December 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really disagree with this program after looking into it durring my pregnancy. It's a training program, not a learning activity. I'm sorry- they're children- not pets! Plus developementally they cannot even see to make out the letters- all they see is a pattern, not isolatable letters.

Cheryl- have you heard of the book "einstein didn't use flashcards- How our children really learn and why they need to play more and memorize less"? It's wonderful. I got it as a shower gift, and it's really helped me to form my parenting philosophy and style more soundly. All these "developemental" toys and stuff are so much less beneficial then imaginative free play.

December 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
poppin in from Aprils DDC I actually do want this for my baby because I did have A LOT of trouble in school as did my brother I mean I still can't read/write in cursive all that well and the way schools are around here at least I don't trust them to actually teach my daughter what she needs to know and I want her to enjoy reading I hated it because I did have such a hard time and now I love the thought of layin down reading a book but I can't do it because I have comprehension issues and will have to read the same paragraph 5 times before I remember what it said and as hard as school is gettin now I think it is very valuable because I know my ex's daughter who was in 1st grade was doing fractions and I didn't start that until like 4th grade and they have 2nd graders doing algebra which I didn't even START till 6th grade I would like to do home schooling with her but I know I wouldn't be able to teach her so I want to do as much as I can to help her to get great grades so that she does feel good about her self because It was always a struggle for me to make a C and I felt like a loser and pretty much was like what is the point if no matter how hard I try all I can do is make a C average so I think it will prepare her a lot better for school I don't think the program it's self actually works as good as they say it does except in rare circumstances just like with these infomercials about how you can make 150,000 dollars a month blah blah blah and have these people on there sayin their first sale they made 10,000 dollars yeah they might have but a majority of people wont make hardly anything and that is just the reality but I do believe it will help prepare her im not expecting miracles but I think she will be a lot better prepared and that will make her more confident

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

December 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The big misconception, IMO, is that people think that memorizing things is learning... it sooo isn't.

And somewhat unrelated... kids have plenty of school ahead of them and there is a lot they need to learn in the "play" stages of life.

I agree with learning through association, which is memorizing, but it is more using it to jog your memory of something you do know not repeat as if you are a parrot.

Babies have EVERYTHING to learn, everything is brand new to them... reading is not one of them, it just isn't age appropriate. And IMO, a lot of issues have come from everyone pushing their kids out of their age appropriate level and therefore have missed out on the fundamentals that would have prepared them for the next step. Every little step is important, skipping steps causes issues.

December 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
noworries
I've had so many people tell me that I need to get this program for Eva and it drives me crazy. They all tell me that she is so smart they are sure she could read right now. Eva will read when she is ready, she is learning like crazy right now and the last thing she needs is this program to help her read.
December 29th, 2009, 08:21 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I think this program may be overkill.

I'm really big on teaching things, but reading will come from me reading to them, and as they get bigger following along. I have seen a lot of kids that hit kindergarten or first grade and don't know their letters. Unfortunately because most schools follow a social progression theory (kids go on to the next grade in order to be with their peers, regardless of what they have or have not learned), by the time they get to later grades they can be so far behind.

My SIL is a reading teacher and her philosophy with her kids drives me crazy. her 13 year old is a very, very poor reader- yet she doesn't work with him. Her 5 year old has not even started with letters or sight words, SIL's response was that she would read when she was ready.

While I don't want my child to be super far ahead, I also don't' plan on leaving his entire education in the hands of the school. They have a gifted/excel program and if that is not enough to keep him busy in school, I will send extra work along. Had to do this with my nephew until he was old enough for their 'gifted' program.

December 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Meh. I feel about this the same as the Baby Einstein videos - waste of time and money. I'll read to my children and help them with their school work and that's plenty for me.
December 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it is a waste of time and money as well. Both my sister and I were reading by age 3 though. My mom says that no one forced us, but we both just loved to look at books and picked it up easily. By Kindergarten I was reading at 6th grade level. My sister (18months older then me) did skip 2 grades (she skipped 8th and 9th), but she did fine. I had the option to skip grades but chose to stay in my grade with my friends.

December 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My thoughts are EXACTLY what you said Cheryl (#2, hehe). In order to read, I feel you need to teach children how to put words together and sound them out. Showing them a word and associating that with an action or object is not teaching them to "read" it's teaching them memorize. I enjoy helping my children learn from the world around them rather than structuring learning activities in thier day. I think there is way too much pressure put on parents to teach them from the day they are born and "prepare" them for school. 25 years ago, that's what school was for!
December 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I think my biggest problem with this program (and others like it - I'm equal opportunity here ) is that it's just another excuse for parents not to interact with their children. I understand that not every parent that wants to is lucky enough to be a SAH. But then wouldn't you WANT to take the few minutes to snuggle up with your kid? JMO

December 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieQueen View Post
I think my biggest problem with this program (and others like it - I'm equal opportunity here ) is that it's just another excuse for parents not to interact with their children. I understand that not every parent that wants to is lucky enough to be a SAH. But then wouldn't you WANT to take the few minutes to snuggle up with your kid? JMO
true that!

December 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is not only a waste of money, but actually detrimental. It is SIGHT reading. Over and over, it has been proven that sight reading is a really, really bad way to "teach" kids to read. They consistently score lower than kids taught phonics, and are unable to figure out context clues. My best friend is very bright, but her class was an "experiment" and was taught sight reading all through elementary, and she can still not read particularly well and her grammar, spelling, context clues, everything are TERRIBLE. It was such a disaster that her school immediately switched back to phonics.

She is a huge advocate of NO SIGHT READING. Seriously, why would you want to screw your baby up that way? Rather than get into arguments with people who don't want to hear the truth, I just look at it in the way that their baby might be able to read, but my child/teen/adult will be light years ahead of theirs in reading and comprehension. Mean, but true.

December 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'm definitely in the "they'll learn when they're ready" camp. I think parents should be involved in working with kids to learn letters/sounds/etc when THEY are ready, and its different for every child.

Courtney knew all her letters by 18 months old. Nola is 2.5 and doesn't know ANY of them. They just learn differently and in their own time. And that's OK.

In the last few months Courtney has been suddenly picking up reading like crazy. She constantly tells me what things say and I don't know how she figures it out. A lot of times she "guesses" when its a long or difficult word, but she has the concept of sounding out words right. For example, she saw the word "position" and told me it said Poison.

Anyway, I totally agree that memorizing is not the same thing as learning or knowing something. Sure you can get your 1 year old to repeat the alphabet, but most of them don't know what it MEANS, its just repetition. I think it sets kids up for confusion and frustration down the line.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 30th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's a good point Kelli. Abby knows the alphabet, but that doesn't give her a complete understanding of what every letter is and how to sound it out. She has just memorized the order of the alphabet and can recite it. So many parents are going to buy into thier claim that you are "teaching your baby to read" though and not realize the downside of the program.
December 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I too think this program is a waste. My sister taught herself to read by word recognition before kindergarten, but my mom had to teach me to read by sounding out words after I was already in school. I think every child has their own way of learning, and I would rather just spend time reading books with my child instead of forcing them to read on their own before they're really ready. Even though my sister was a much faster reader and probably had a little better comprehension than I did, that certainly didn't mean that I wasn't smart. There are so many other things that make up a child's intelligence besides how early they learn to read.
December 31st, 2009, 12:57 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think this program is a joke! I don't know why everyone is wanting their children to grow up so quickly now! I know from experience that only memorizing doesn't help you diddily squat in the long run! Just think about cramming for a test? You retain it as long as you need to, and then it's mush when the final comes. You need to learn things and not simply recognize them IMO

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 31st, 2009, 09:59 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I also do not agree with this program. It seems like it is based on memorization instead of actually understanding the phonetics behind reading. A baby needs to be a baby too, when they are that young it is what the parent wants and not particularly what is in the child's best interest. I started teaching Rayne to read at 2 1/2 only because she showed interest and also because she already knew the sounds the letters make, it felt like the next step to take.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search