chiropractor??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2009, 09:22 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I have Fibromyalgia, which is really mostly under control at this point, I was diagnosed about 11 years ago but it has been under control for more than 5 years now. Staying away from caffeine, not too much sugars and keeping fit has been great for keeping symptoms away.

Previously, I have done massage therapy and acupuncture for managing flareups. When I was pregnant with Cadie I did frequent massage therapy with a neuromuscular massage therapist to keep my muscles soft and keep the pain down. it worked wonderfully, but our insurance company ended up rejecting the claims (even though they did pre-approve them, and had reimbursed us for them before my pregnancy) so it cost us a ton of money. I even had a written note from my doctor to the insurance company saying she recommended the massage as part of my treatment and maintenance, but that didn't seem to matter to them.

This time, I want to do something similar without paying an arm and a leg. They will reimburse for physical therapy- but not massage therapy (even though it was medical massage, not just a foofy spa massage) the one time I went for "physical therapy" they hooked me up to some electronic wave thing and pulsed the muscles (maybe a tens machine?) and it was awful. I hated it. Nothing therapeutic about that.

My midwife said that massage therapy feels good, but doesn't last. I really don't know about that honestly.....but anyway, she said things like acupuncture and seeing a chiropractor work very well and last longer. I have done all kinds of alternative health treatments, but never chiropractic care. If it lasts so well, why does it seem people who do it have to go so often? How expensive is a typical treatment?

My worry is that once I start seeing one I will be stuck having to always go back. Seems expensive! I don't know what my insurance covers for it either. I can find that out easily.

I like my acupuncturist and I know she helped me get pregnant. I am fine with seeing her, although I don't find acupuncture as "therapeutic" as massage. I think I like the touch, ya know?

Either way, I need *something* to keep me from going into a full blown flare up while pregnant. I'm already starting to feel stiff and sore a bit. Doesn't help that it's so cold.

input really appreciated!

Last edited by moon~maiden; December 30th, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
December 30th, 2009, 10:45 AM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually see a chiropractor who is also trained in acupuncture, so I get two-in-one treatments. She's also a naturopath trained in NAET, though I don't really take advantage of that part as much. Anyway, many insurance companies will cover chiropractic care. In fact, mine covers that but not acupuncture, so it's better that I can get both in one Dr! I have found getting adjustments to be very helpful this pregnancy, so if you can afford it, I definitely recommend it.
December 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our insurance currently covers chiropractic care (we just pay a $5 co-pay) but it is ending that coverage in January. I don't usually go but DH goes every other week. My midwives recommended I go because I get a lot of back pain while pregnant, but I don't really like the chiropractor. It's not painful or anything, but the sound of everything cracking freaks me out.

December 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I guess I am confused as to how getting adjusted will help my muscles???
December 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm confused about that too, that was my first thought when I read your post From my understanding of it and what a chiropactor does, it just doesn't make sense to me. If you have a low co-pay and good coverage, it wouldn't hurt to try a few appointments to see what happens. Otherwise, I would do more research before going to see if there is any research that supports chiropractic care to help with fibromyalgia.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

December 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I asked her, and she said it was a holistic type of all things are connected type of thing. But I just don't know. She also said that people didn't need extra vitamin D so I do understand that she doesn't know everything, lol.

*sigh*
December 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I wouldn't recommend a chiro for your needs. I went when I was pregnant with Walter because a few of the disks in my back slipped out of place. The whole thing was very rough and painful. It's nothing at all like getting a massage. Lots of harsh movements and quick jerks here and there.
December 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here's a few sites that popped up with a search, I guess it's not as uncommon as I originally thought.

Treatments For Fybromyalgia: Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic Care for Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia and Chiropractor Criteria
National Fibromyalgia Association:

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

December 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM
thanks for looking that up Andrea, I appreciate it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search