Is a breech birth a guaranteed C-section?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Or is it still possible to have a natural vaginal delivery? I know that it's still early for me to be wondering about this, but I would like to be prepared with every possible situation that might occur.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 30th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Depends on the care provider and the type of breech presentation. My midwife will deliver most breech presentations and she has a lot of suggestions on how to get babies to turn before delivery. Most OBs won't do a breech birth in a hospital but there are some who will. I've had two breech babies at term who were turned via a version a few weeks before birth. After I transferred care to my midwife she strongly recommended seeing a chiropractor and I haven't had an issue since.
December 30th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's not common, but you may be able to find an OB or midwife who will deliver a breech baby, or attempt it. Like the above poster said, it depends on the presentation too, because that can make a difference on how hard the baby will be to deliver.

December 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It all depends. My midwives are comfortable delivering breech depending on the presentation. My OB told me that if I did a hospital birth they would let me do breech vaginally (again depending on if it was footling or frank breech) since I have a "tested" pelvis since I had a successful vaginal delivery with Lily.

December 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My midwife will not deliver a known breech, but if the butt starts coming out first, all she can do is catch. I had my baby in a homebirth a few weeks ago, and she was a surprise frank breech. I had a successful vaginal delivery. Not even a tear, which is rare with breech (I still don't know if I should be proud of that or not, seeing as I'm apparently so "loose". ). I would definitely check with your care provider as to their policy, and the policy of the place you will be delivering. Sometimes hospital policy overrides Drs, and sometimes Drs are willing to fudge a little to get around hospitals.

December 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My chiropractor has me come every week to avoid having a breech baby, he got Brylie turned at 34w finally last time ...but my midwife will deliver a breech depending on presentation, and there are 3 OBGYNs in my hospital who will deliver breech

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Yep, like everyone else said, you just have to ask around.

I went through all the stress of a breech baby and what-ifs... My baby turned breech at 36 weeks, my midwife would not do a homebirth if she stayed breech but said there are two local OBs who will deliver a breech baby if its a butt presentation. I spent a week doing inversions and other techniques from spinningbabies.com and got her turned head down by 37 weeks.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 31st, 2009, 06:32 AM
kmac's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my midwife said she would deliver a frank breech (butt first) if you have a "proven pelvis"...meaning that you have delivered a baby before. which i hadnt. emerson was a footling breech and i couldnt find anyone who would deliver her vaginally. she switched to being breech at 36 weeks and i did everything i could (chiropractoe 3x a week, inversions, handstands, etc) to try to get her to flip...but ended up with a c-section. turns out she had her cord around her neck so she was stuck head up.

i hope you dont have to worry about this all though..
December 31st, 2009, 07:25 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Thank you, ladies! If/When it comes down to it and Caleb is breech (I don't know why I have a feeling he will be; probably just more worries), I will do everything I can to try to get him to turn beforehand. But I'm glad to know that, if he's frank, I at least would still have my chance at a natural childbirth.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 31st, 2009, 07:30 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
check out the stuff I posted in the subforum on breech. In Canada docs are saying it shouldn't be automatic. Sadly, in the US it's just not being taught anymore, it is being phased out, mostly because of risk of being sued. One would not want an inexperienced practitioner trying to handle this.

if you have a breech baby, there are a lot of things you can do to help get baby to turn! Also included in the stuff I posted.
January 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You should check out About Spinning Babies
January 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with checkin gout spinning babies. They have information on how to avoid a breech presentation.

I also agree with seeing a Webster trained chiropractor. I have had three term breeches, one c-section and two successful external versions. With baby #4 I saw a Webster trained chiro starting at 23 weeks, and baby turned on her own at about 36 weeks. It was worth every penny!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM
morebluethanpink
It may depend. I (accidentally, meaning we didn't know until the foot came out ) delivered a footling breech 11 months ago. The dr told me afterward that there was NO WAY she would've let me do it if she had known, although it was pretty straightforward and fast. Of course, footling is the most dangerous kind of breech, and he did need resucitation, even though it took 20-30 seconds to push him out.. He was my sixth child, though, i am not sure it would've gone so quickly/well for a first time mom.

I am pregnant again and was talking to my dr about breech babies (different dr, last one was low risk family dr, this one is high risk OB) and she said she would deliver me breech, though she would *prefer* to do an external version first. I was shocked, but it may have something to do with the fact that not only is this #7, but I've shown I can deliver a breech as well.
January 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully he goes head down in another couple of months and you can cross that worry off your list.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search