Regarding sex after 6weeks postpartum

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This Monday I go for my 6 weeks post partum check-up.

I am currently BFing although supplementing with at most or if at any a bottle of forumla a day, so Noelle is not exclusively BF.

I haven't regained my menstration yet, and still have light discharge of lochia.

Now.... I am really wanting to have a romantic evening planned in the next week or so with my husband and maybe end of having some lovemaking.... so should I worry about protection?

What would be your suggestions? Condom just to be safe?
December 31st, 2009, 04:37 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you can still become pregnant while breastfeeding even if you dont have a period yet. I got pregnant with my daughter before I got a period back from having my son. Breastfeeding isnt always a contraception method for all women and if you arent ready for another child i wouldnt want to take the chance if i were you lol.

December 31st, 2009, 05:13 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Although I didn't get AF back for a year after Tanith, I'm not taking any chances until I know that my body is reacting that way again, so we'll be using condoms for at least a couple of months.

December 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I never counted on Bfing as birth control, but I am super paranoid. I would recommend using something.
December 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
to everyone else! We just use the pull-out method, so there's still a chance, but since I only ovulate 1-2 times a year, the risk is pretty minimal for us...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do what you feel comfortable with. If a condom makes you feel better about it, then go for it. You probably won't get pregnant, but you never know.
December 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am EBF'ing but my period showed at exactly 2m pp - weve done nothing to prevent (not even pull out) and I'm not preggo I wouldnt stress about it but if anything you can pull out!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Gobaby1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pull out method = 40w6d preggo for me... just saying!

December 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Personally, I don't know how you can even think of DTD. It was painful until like 4mos PP. I have no sex drive either while BFing. We always use the pull-out method and seems to work. Let me know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobaby1 View Post
Pull out method = 40w6d preggo for me... just saying!
It's worked perfectly for both my 1st marriage and this one. There's key to the pull-out method and that's to pull-out BEFORE it starts to expel and then finish. Some people think as long as they pull out during that they will be fine. If there's enough foreplay than the pre stuff will happen during that time and not be a risk.
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

December 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, use condoms. Using breastfeeding as birth control is not effective if you are supplementing even once a week. Even then, you can ovulate before getting a period, so if you don't know what to look for, you should use condoms to be safe.

For some people pulling out seems to work, but it's really one of the least effective methods of birth control. I would not rely on it to prevent getting pregnant, even before getting my first PP period back.

December 31st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Best to be safe since there is still a chance you can conceive, even before AF has returned or while Breastfeeding.

January 1st, 2010, 06:43 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Cadie never had a drop of formula and wasn't on a schedule, and I got my period at 3 months pp. I was so bummed. And that first period back was brutal for me! ugh.
January 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
bf is 90%, so is pull out- if done right. so the two are over 95% effective.that means a 5% chance each month. it's all we're doing. and tracking o signs.

nak

January 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I was paranoid too even though I didn't get AF until 6 months pp, so I always used condoms.
January 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pull out is only slightly less effective than condoms if done correctly every time. http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journ...79-407-410.pdf

BF is only effective for birth control if you are doing ecological breastfeeding, meaning baby is brought to the breast every time they have a need to suck. No pacifiers, no supplementing, etc.

If you are really concerned about pregnancy then you should use some sort of protection.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I shall be using a condom then... or pull out which ever strikes the mood...

I can honestly tell you I want to DTD soooooooooooo bad!!!! I miss being intimate with my DH... the night my water broke we were suppose to have "quality time" per our MW's orders... needless to say Noelle had other plans!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search