Let's Talk Herbs/Supplements/Vitamins....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you currently taking any?

Have you used any in the past for TTC/pregnant/postpartum/BFing?

I am currently taking my prenatal vitamin, calcium, folic acid, and EPO.
For herbs I am taking a tea mixture of red raspberry leaf, fennel seed, fenugreek seed, nettle leaf, dandelion leaf, and blessed thistle... although I am thinking about making this into a tincture since it has a very harsh flavor.. These herbs are suppose to help with BFing... While I was pregnant I took red raspberry leaf tea religiously and I honestly believed it worked for I only pushed for roughly 15-20mins and Noelle was born.

I am going to start looking into Chasteberry (Vitex), wild yam supplements for when my menstration returns and to help with future TTC.

Anyone else want to add on herbs/supplements/vitamins?
January 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Probiotics and prenatals daily.

Occasionally I take Vit E, Vit D, zinc, Omega 3s.

I don't get sick and my baby never has. I swear by probiotics. We both take them daily.

January 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take my prenatal and Fenugreek (3 caps/3x daily)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For now I just take a multi-vitamin daily.

During pregnancy I took folic acid and fish oil with my multi-vitamin and drank 3rd trimester tea (pregnancy tea) everyday at the end. I remember taking a few others, but I don't remember what they were.

When we have thrush, I take probiotics (and for a few weeks after it's gone) and garlic supplements. I also took fenugreek for a while when I was pumping to donate milk, to keep my supply up.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
frugality=reality
Are you currently taking any? When I remember my flintstones and folic acid, I do that...

I also occasionally take Lysine, I take a Vitamin D (if I remember), and if I feel something coming on, I mega dose on D to stop it.

Have you used any in the past for TTC/pregnant/postpartum/BFing? I've never done any herbal stuff to speak of, except my 5W at the end of my pregnancy with Luke, which I'll be skipping this time. I was still 3 days overdue, and I just am not in a huge hurry anyway. I need all the time I can get before I suddenly have three little ones and five in total. I did drink mother's milk tea (free samples ) for the first few days of nursing him until my milk came in. That's it.

If my sugars don't regulate, there are a few things that are okay during pregnancy to take that are supposed to help, so those are herbal/natural remedies I'll consider if the need arises. So far, although they'll run slightly high for an hour after I eat, they're fine by two hours, so I don't see a need just now. We'll see...
January 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I take prenatals with probiotics (although not every day, I couldn't take them for almost 2 months but I am able to again finally)

I also take Vit D and DHA right now. I also have to take synthroid for my thyroid and I take zoloft as well.
January 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
oh ya I take Levoxyl for my Thyroid and Metformin for my PCOS/IR as well.

I can't even go near RLT or Mothers Milk Tea....aaack!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right now am doing my prenatals, red raspberry leaf tea, EPO, and DHA. I also purchased mother's milk tea blend for use after I have the baby to help me with my milk supply.
January 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just take a prenatal right now. I'll be starting red raspberry leaf tea once 3rd trimester hits and EPO around 36 weeks or so.

January 2nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
I take my prenatal and Fenugreek (3 caps/3x daily)
How is the fenugreek working for you?

I just made a tincture today of fennel seed, fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, alfalfa leaf, RRL, dandelion leaf, and nettle leaf to help with breastfeeding and had been making tea with the herbs since the tincture won't be ready for 3-4weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I just take a prenatal right now. I'll be starting red raspberry leaf tea once 3rd trimester hits and EPO around 36 weeks or so.

I started red raspberry leaf tea when I was 18 weeks... I swear this stuff works... I only pushed for roughly 15-20mins.. a total of I think it was 4 pushes with the OB and 1 push with the RN and Noelle was born... I also started EPO at 33wks4days... I think it worked.. my water broke 2 weeks early.. I was taking 3000mg the week my water broke.... ha
January 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I only pushed 5x and I never took RLT I duno how you ladies do it!!!

Fenugreek is great. Between that and the rental symphony pump, even after a good feeding I can usually get 2-3oz out! (My production prior to that was like an ounce combined between feedings) between feedings now I can usually get 4-5oz....I have over 400oz frozen I'm going to give to a gf who is due in Feb who won't be able to breastfeeding.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post

I started red raspberry leaf tea when I was 18 weeks... I swear this stuff works... I only pushed for roughly 15-20mins.. a total of I think it was 4 pushes with the OB and 1 push with the RN and Noelle was born... I also started EPO at 33wks4days... I think it worked.. my water broke 2 weeks early.. I was taking 3000mg the week my water broke.... ha
Yeah, RLT and EPO worked great for me with Lily's birth. I pushed for about 30 minutes and labored for less than 7 total hours. I'm hoping it helps prep me as well this time around too!

January 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am taking prenatal, fish oil, iron, and acedophilous. I think I will start back on the calcium as well. The acedophilous seems to have helped with Amanda's gas a lot.

Can I ask what the benefit of folic acid in BFing, or for you is? I had not heard about taking this after pregnancy.

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
January 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I am taking prenatal, fish oil, iron, and acedophilous. I think I will start back on the calcium as well. The acedophilous seems to have helped with Amanda's gas a lot.

Can I ask what the benefit of folic acid in BFing, or for you is? I had not heard about taking this after pregnancy.

I have always been on a folic acid supplement... I don't have the most balanced diet so I take extra folic acid, always had always will... plus what my body doesn't need I get rid of it... its a water soluable vitamin..

Women of childbearing age should always, IMO, take a folic acid supplement or get a diet well balanced in folic acid.. it is good for reproductive health...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Yeah, RLT and EPO worked great for me with Lily's birth. I pushed for about 30 minutes and labored for less than 7 total hours. I'm hoping it helps prep me as well this time around too!

Totally agree!! I think with my next pregnancies I will start RRL tea as soon as my 2nd trimester begins but if I end up with GD again in the pregnancies I will most definately begin EPO at 34weeks at the same dose as I did Noelle to advoid induction...
January 10th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Anisah's Avatar Mom of 4 + 1 in May 2010
Send a message via MSN to Anisah Send a message via Yahoo to Anisah
I am taking my prenatals and have started RRL tea and plan on taking EPO and Polly Jeans 5 week formula starting at 35 weeks. I really hope this works. I labor long.
January 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I taking 2 regular gummy vitamins (for folic acid mostly), DHA supplement, and B6 for nausea. I'll start taking cranberry as a preventative for UTIs once I talk to the midwife.

January 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I drink pregnancy/RRL tea, prenatal vitamins, fish oil and (when I remember) my liquid calcium/magnesium supplement. I'll start EPO next week and drink Mother's Milk Tea after the bambino is born (I had a freezer with over 2000 oz of breast milk last time!).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search