Fact about the "Christmas Miracle" Story

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Wow!! Everyone pg should post this story in their DDC!

Science & Sensibility Her Survival Was a ?Christmas Miracle,? but the Disaster Was Man-Made

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

January 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
lovely! What a crappy explination too- "we decided to use pitocin because her membranes ruptured" thumbs down!

I actually didn't even hear about this story in the first place
January 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OK I am glad I didn't read this before my labor... I most deifnately would have ended up in a c-section from refusing epidural or I would have been walking my butt outta the hospital and home and hoping to God I would dilate 6cm the rest of the way and Noelle be fine...

This is why I wanted a NCB sooo bad... I still can remember crying during the epidural saying that I don't want to hurt Noelle or die... ugh... but I am alive and Noelle is here happy and healthy...

Cheryl I can't tell you how upset I was when the MW said "We are going to have to start Pitocin" I argued with her about it... ugh I still regret getting Pit and an epi
January 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw this story posted in a different DDC from mine and was kind of curious to know more 'facts' about it. The article you posted was super interesting and I'll likely have it in the back of my mind as another of the many reasons I don't want to be induced or have an epi in a couple weeks during my birthing time. I won't post it in my DDC b/c I think it'll cause a debate or people will think I'm trying to scare them or something... but I'm glad I read it. Thanks for sharing.

January 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it is a very rare epidural side effect, but it happened to one of the moms in my DDC. Thankfully they caught it quickly and everything came out okay, though scary (she was put under general and wisked to a c/s within minutes).

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 2nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for posting that. Epidurals are not as safe as woman are led to believe.

January 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
A great article! Glad to see some of the further facts coming out.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Wow.....

This just makes me realize how blessed I am that I never had any complications with my first two epidural births. This is so scary! I started to read the comments but they just made me angry. TFS!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

January 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
of course. phew, scary. i had an epi with my son and wasn't ever told of a single risk before getting it. not that i remember anyway.
January 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I ended up with an epidural with Noelle...

I had an HOUR discussion with my nurse on them and she told me everything and included this... I know you ladies are tired of hearing me say this but yes, it still pains me that I got an epidural for I feared the effects of the medication, BUT I figured the benefits outweighed the risk.... it was either epidural or end up in a c-section.... I opted for epidural....

I am happy that I didn't have the epidural for no longer then maybe at most three hours...
January 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
I ended up with an epidural with Noelle...

I had an HOUR discussion with my nurse on them and she told me everything and included this... I know you ladies are tired of hearing me say this but yes, it still pains me that I got an epidural for I feared the effects of the medication, BUT I figured the benefits outweighed the risk.... it was either epidural or end up in a c-section.... I opted for epidural....

I am happy that I didn't have the epidural for no longer then maybe at most three hours...
Don't feel bad!! I was totally shooting for a NCB. About 20hrs after my water broke, I was only 1cm and they had to start me on the pit. I would take that over a c/s any day (trust me, I had 2 of them!!)! I managed to deal with 12+hrs of it drug free but I was so exhausted by then that the epi was all I could get to relax me. He was born an hour and half later. My VBAC was #1 priority, NCB was the means to get me there. I am def going to try my darnest for a NCB next go round..... but don't beat yourself up over it hun.

Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
~Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"~
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"~
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

January 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a feeling that there was more to this story. Thanks for sharing!

Expecting baby #4!

January 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wonder if her laying on her back was a factor? If she went from the epidural to flat on her back she would have already a compromised respiratory system, plus potential loss of BP from the epidural, then add the weight of the baby to the vena cava and aorta, BAM mom goes into cardiac arrest. Then when the crash section is performed the weight of the baby is removed and the 'miraculous' recovery is made.

Quote:
OK I am glad I didn't read this before my labor... I most deifnately would have ended up in a c-section from refusing epidural or I would have been walking my butt outta the hospital and home and hoping to God I would dilate 6cm the rest of the way and Noelle be fine...

i
Walking your butt out of the hospital may have been what you needed. Keep that in mind for future pregnancies. If you feel pushed, or threatened then you won't have an easy time of labor.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Arrg. "reported a rate of 1 in 1400 women experiencing a high block and 1 in 5500 requiring intubation," W*T*F? these are really really bad statistics. like really bad. sigh. thanks for posting this.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah considering the risk of hte high block is about the same as the risk for a uterine rupture during a VBAC. Yet, a VBAC is too risky...blah.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I feel this way too. Maybe it's just clinging to SOMETHING. Maybe it's a way to make myself feel better, but I am so, so happy that Elizabeth was exposed to drugs for no more than 16 minutes. It makes the c-section a little easier to swallow.

I knew this was a risk before having a baby, but when I was being prepped for my spinal/section, not one of them ran through my head. My baby and I had done everything we could do, and this was what was left. There was a certain peace in the decision. (I'm sure the exhaustion helped with that!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search