Can you explain this to me???

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What exactly is the difference between...

Breastfeeding and Exclusively Breastfeeding??

Is one better then the other?
January 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I think "exclusive breastfeeding" is only offering breastmilk, never supplementing with formula or offering any solid foods before age 6 months. I may be wrong, but that's what I always interpreted that label to mean. You can still "breastfeed" and supplement with formula, or give baby cereal at 4 months. It's just not "exclusively" breastfeeding.
January 2nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
frugality=reality
Exclusive breastfeeding is offering only the breast. Once you begin cereals at 6 months or whatever, even if there is no formula, it isn't still considered exclusive breastfeeding, as solids are introduced.

Since your child receives occasional formula (from what I understand-if not excuse my blunder It wouldn't be the first), you are breastfeeding and supplementing.

WHO | Exclusive breastfeeding

kellymom.com :: The Many Benefits of Breastfeeding

Last edited by frugality=reality; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
January 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yep!
January 2nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Ok, I was wrong! Shows what I know about labels.
January 3rd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You are supposed to start giving cereal at 6 months though right? I mean you can't exclusively breast feed forever ! - it make a big difference in the birth control aspect of breast feeding right? (oh so much to learn OMG)

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 3rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
You are supposed to start giving cereal at 6 months though right? I mean you can't exclusively breast feed forever ! - it make a big difference in the birth control aspect of breast feeding right? (oh so much to learn OMG)
it is recommended to start solids between 6-8 months, some delay to 10 months.

January 3rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
or longer.... a good friend is delaying to a year, and we may too.

January 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
I like the idea of baby led weaning. We will do that with the next baby after 6 months, whenever he shows interest.
January 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, you can really exclusively breastfeed for as long as you want. I've had some doctors try to tell me that my milk "isn't enough" for my children after 6 months and I know that is bull. I've seen plenty of toddlers even who breastfeed almost exlusively and are still growing like weeds. Plus, you don't have to give cereal at all, you can start solids with veggies or fruits.

I consider EBF even babies who are given pumped milk. As long as a baby hasn't had formula or solids yet, that is EBF in my mind.

January 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
a friend has a 24 month old who just does not like food, she still gets mostly BM for nutrition.
we did not do cereal or anything, started with fruits and veggies. i have made some brown rice porridge, some oatmeal porridge and some quinoa porridge. she is not really a fan.

January 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
Cereal really doesn't have any nutritional value, most people (that I know anyways, including myself) skip cereal. Cereal is more for baby to learn to eat from a spoon, however I found that it's easier to let baby feed himself with hands and then when he is older he'll want a spoon and learn from watching you. You also don't need to start at 6 months, some babies aren't ready at that time and you can BF for a whole year or longer without adding other foods. My son didn't want any food until he was closer to 8 months, and didn't really eat it until 12 months.
January 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I exclusively breastfed my first son until he was a year old. He wasn't really interested in food and he grew just fine! Shot up like a weed actually. To this day he has no food allergies whatsoever.
January 3rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm pretty sure Kelly doesn't give formula at all, but I think she pumps a little.
January 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
frugality=reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
I'm pretty sure Kelly doesn't give formula at all, but I think she pumps a little.

I thought I'd read somewhere (the BF'ing board, maybe) that she was giving a little formula, but could have been someone else. I get confused because I'm on here so much.
January 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No unfortunately I give formula...

It took a week for my milk to fully come in and Noelle dropped weight by her 1 week appointment and the pedi recommend that I give her formula... she would get just a bottle of at most 2oz... a day later I was pumping and BFing like made because I was constantly engorged... Noelle was from then on until almost a week ago when I noticed I wasn't becoming engorged, she was fussing at the breast, I wasn't hardly getting any milk from pumping and I notice her diapers weren't as wet as normal...

So I have been supplementing with no more than 4oz of forumla but there have been some days where she didnt get any formula... I sat down and researched and made my own homemade Mother's Milk tea, then made it into a tincture, made lactation cookies, increased my water intake, and for 3 days straight (these are the days she got no formula or bottle) and nursed her straight from the breast with this I have notice a nice increase in my milk.... so Noelle has been formula free for over 24 hours

I want to EBF but I guess I didn't realize how difficult I thought BFing would be... I can honestly tell you for me at least, BFing isn't something just given to me, but I must work hard at it, just like working hard during labor....

The other thing that I have noticed and it makes me happy is that Noelle was very slow to take the formula and would take the bottle with breastmilk or the breast without hesitation or a grimace on her face
January 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
frugality=reality
It takes practice, but after you get through the rough first couple months, it's a breeze. I promise. I've been breastfeeding for 6.5 months+4 years+46 months+24 months of my life (and the last two-46 months and 24 months-are increasing daily).

(and my first two were supplemented, and then the first went on strike at 6.5 months and I just gave her formula... but it took me to my third to have no formula at all)
January 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
BFing is definitely not easy for a lot of people. I did EBF Lily for the first 6 months, but those first few weeks it was so hard for me. I didn't have supply issues, but I was just so tired and nursing around the clock, etc. At 6 months I started Lily on avocado and then moved on to other fruits/veggies. She never had baby cereal/oatmeal or any of those. I just didn't feel they were all that great nutritionally. She continued to BF until she was 12.5 months and then my supply majorly dropped from being pregnant again and she refused to nurse.

January 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
DD was OBSESSED with food starting at 4 months and I kept her off of food until 6 months, and then she barely eats it, LOL. She is a riot.

breastfeeding was easy and not easy for me at the same time. I have had my fair share of blocked ducts, including an infected blocked duct in my nipple at 3 weeks PP! I love to bf and DD loves the boob. She lights up when I offer it to her which makes it all worth while I am hoping to bf for 2 years, and go by baby led weaning.

Keep at it, it is worth it!

January 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can say I never thought I would get this hard on myself...

The whole epidural issue still bothers me, not being able to start her in cloth diapers at newborn, and supplementing with formula. I had all these ideas in my head of how I wanted things to go while I was pregnant and now that she is here.... it has gone to plan.

I am thinking that my main issue as to why I am so hard on myself is because I haven't had the support from my mother on issues, I was made a mockery of telling my family about my plans for a NCB...

I am happier eat day that my daughter is happy and healthy. I am bound and determined to get my goal of EBF... I have been doing numerous research on lactation and BFing and have been getting much info... althought surprisingly I have not gotten frustrated during BFing but more along the lines of worried.... especially when I noticed decreased wet diapers, and weight loss.....

Hopefully someone can answer this...

Does me giving Noelle occasional formula, defeat the purpose/benefits of BFing?

I guess thats another thing I have been worried about if me BFing Noelle but giving her the occasional formula does that take away from the benefits of BFing?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search