What are the chances for my next pregnancy...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I become pregnant again what are my chances for not having to go on Pitocin?? And being able to fully dilate on my own without an epidural?

I understand second pregnancies and then on go faster but with a second pregnancy would my body know how to handle it given that the first pregnancy was a trial run sorta deal?

I am just wondering.... I am still striving for my intervention free NCB for my future pregnancies...
January 3rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think your chances are excellent! Your body know what's supposed to happen - Your cervix has already dilated fully once before (and is now naturally a little more stretchy) I think you will be fine ! Just don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if you avoid the sOB you had last time ,and are surrounded with positive like minded people you will have no problem what-so-ever. I really believe you would have been fine this time if you were not in the situation that you were in, have that horrible man there was such a threat to you being able to gestate in peace and birth your baby. HIs presence stalled your labor, it was not that your body failed you in anyway. It actually did its job, you felt threatened and your instinct to protect your baby from a hostile environment caused your labor to stall. In nature this happens to give the laboring mother a chance to find a safe place to continue the birth process. If you had felt comfortable firing that doctor and getting someone that supported you, your birth would have been much different.

You can birth naturally. I know you can!

It is so hard to stand up for yourself while in labor, I know I have have so many regrets from my last live birth, including giving in to the pitocin, even though I KNEW I didn't need it. Find the right providers and you will be just fine.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
every pregnancy and every labor is different. Don't let yourself get pigeon holed into believing that your body can't do it. If you do, the terrorists win!
January 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
You have great chances! Isis was rough labor was long and hard, with Athena it was fast and fairly easy, and Thayden was super rough so really every labor is different. Just set your mind to it and you can do anything. The biggest thing is just relaxing and let your body do the work. Also having a supportive midwife or doula really helps.

January 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I think if you avoid the sOB you had last time ,and are surrounded with positive like minded people you will have no problem what-so-ever. I really believe you would have been fine this time if you were not in the situation that you were in, have that horrible man there was such a threat to you being able to gestate in peace and birth your baby. HIs presence stalled your labor, it was not that your body failed you in anyway. It actually did its job, you felt threatened and your instinct to protect your baby from a hostile environment caused your labor to stall. In nature this happens to give the laboring mother a chance to find a safe place to continue the birth process. If you had felt comfortable firing that doctor and getting someone that supported you, your birth would have been much different.

You can birth naturally. I know you can!

It is so hard to stand up for yourself while in labor, I know I have have so many regrets from my last live birth, including giving in to the pitocin, even though I KNEW I didn't need it. Find the right providers and you will be just fine.

I know that I will be staying with the same office for my next pregnancy but I refused to see the OBs just the MWs... For the 7hrs that I had the MW my labor was moving along very well... but when the staff told me who was coming on next, my body obviously did not want him to be the one to deliver. I now understand labor, pregnancy, and birthing more to hopefully have a NCB the next time around... I am still proud of myself for laboring maxed out on Pitocin for over 12hrs without pain meds though...
January 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
wow! - 12 hour maxed out on pitocin - you are one tough lady!
I think we all need Megan to sit just inside the door of where we are laboring to bite anyone bad who tried to come in!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
excellent chances. Many moms do NCB after pit/epi the first time.

January 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
As long as I can wear my steel toes boots

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I had a lot of interventions with David but I also had pre-e and PTL all sorts of fun stuff. I had pitocin with him and mag sulfate. Got an epi and pushed for almost an hour. Katelynn I was in labor for 3 hours and 40 minutes. Pushed for like 5 minutes. I dilated to 10 from a 3 in like 7 minutes or something crazy like that. So it is totally possible!

January 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Weren't you induced?

January 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBaby21 View Post
I know that I will be staying with the same office for my next pregnancy but I refused to see the OBs just the MWs... For the 7hrs that I had the MW my labor was moving along very well... but when the staff told me who was coming on next, my body obviously did not want him to be the one to deliver. I now understand labor, pregnancy, and birthing more to hopefully have a NCB the next time around... I am still proud of myself for laboring maxed out on Pitocin for over 12hrs without pain meds though...
I did the same thing! The pit was up to 32 by the time I gave in to the epi (12hrs later). ITA with Meg.

January 4th, 2010, 04:11 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
she wasn't induced, her water broke at home and her labor stalled so she got the epi to avoid a c-section

you know what your body is capable of. you can't keep beating yourself up over that epi hon . EVERYONE has their limit in every situation, and you knew you were at yours and that is admirable.

I would never doubt you have the ability to do it. You have to trust your body

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 4th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I knew the rest of the birth story, but for some reason I thought she was induced for GD.

You can absolutely do it. Especially if you go into the hospital later and avoid pit. Maybe get a doula who can do internals and labor at home for a looooong time.

January 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can TOTALLY do it! Your body will be better prepared next time, and you'll also go in as veteran mommy.
January 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
every pregnancy and every labor is different. Don't let yourself get pigeon holed into believing that your body can't do it. If you do, the terrorists win!
that is soo true!

I have had three different labors and deliveries.. and my last one was the only one that was completely intervention free. It took 3 days, but I did it. You can too!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Weren't you induced?
No... My water broke roughly two weeks early...

It was weird, it was about 2am Wednesday, I was going to sit on the living room floor, felt a slight pop and cramp in my pelvis... sat all the way down and felt warm gush... I didn't feel or have any contractions until they started me on Pit at about 530ish-6ish...
January 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM
If you didn't feel or have any contractions before they started the pitocin then that is technically an induction. You can have ruptured membranes for a while before active labor starts on its own.

Sail Back to Me
January 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my first, my water broke around 7pm and even though I had contractions, they weren't doing anything (they weren't regular and didn't hurt or anything) so I agreed to pitocin around midnight. I went from 1cm at midnight to 9cm at 4am. I then stalled at 9cm for five hours, but still wound up having a vaginal delivery. Looking back, I'm kind of surprised that "failure to progress" was never mentioned to me during that.

With my second, labor started on its own. Everything progressed fine. I got to the hospital around 6/7cm and was at the hospital 3 hours before having her. I had a NCB.

So having your water break before contractions and then needing pitocin to get anywhere does not mean you won't have a normal, natural childbirth in the future.
January 6th, 2010, 07:03 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
If you didn't feel or have any contractions before they started the pitocin then that is technically an induction. You can have ruptured membranes for a while before active labor starts on its own.
That is augmentation. Water breaking does mean you're in labor, but it may not be active labor yet.

also for strengthening your membranes take extra vit C, suppliments, but especially fresh! And eating lots of healthy fats (butter, flax seed oil, fish/fish oils) and protien can strengthen membranes. I did this and my water was broken per my request just minutes before birth. Broken waters as the first start of labor is a serious speed bump for natural birth, so this would be a big focus for me next time. But rest assured you CAN still have a NCB even with a prelabor rupture.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search