some articles on ultrasound safety

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2010, 08:01 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
this is sure to open a can of worms in one way or another- but here are some articles everyone should read.

I will post these in the subforum as well, but I thought the discussion would be better off out here.

Ultrasound Scans- cause for concern

Ultrasound: More Harm than Good? - by Marsden Wagner

Ultrasound - More powerful, more dangerous, more unethical

CRESCENT WOMB CARE AND BIRTH-RITE SEMINARS – Ultrasound Technology

Ultrasound: Weighing the Propaganda Against the Facts - by Beverley Lawrence Beech

Primal Health

Weighing the Risks: What You Should Know about Ultrasound | mothering

this is why we are only going to do one ultrasound. I wish I was "strong" enough to do none, but I'm not. I had 3 with Cadie and I feel SO guilty now. I worry.

Last edited by moon~maiden; January 5th, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
January 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had so many with Brylie and I feelt guilty too - our Bradley teacher shared a lot of these with us. But I had one twice a week from week 30-37. It bothers me a lot. Truly my first initial reaction when she was born (She was basically dead) was that the ultrasound + Pitocin + Cytotec combo killed her

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 5th, 2010, 08:51 AM
frugality=reality
I have posted in my DDC about the links of u/s and autism... It was kind of just ignored.

I only plan to get one. And a fetal echocardiogram. I had four, I think, with my third (three medically necessary), and two with my fourth (and a fetal echo-all medically necessary). None with my second (she was born in July and I didn't start prenatal care until late May The doc said it was too late to do one), and three with my first (all medically necessary). My goal each time is just one, but then it depends on what happens. And we did do a 4D with my third...
January 5th, 2010, 09:55 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing this! I had no idea. I had three when pregnant with Lucius: one at "ten" weeks to discover that I was only nine weeks, the anatomy check at eighteen weeks and a biophysical profile at forty-one weeks. I think that in future pregnancies, I will plan to only have the anatomy check and maybe not even that...

January 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I learned a lot about u/s safety in my Bradley class with Lily and it freaked me out. With both Lily and this baby I've had more u/s then I wanted. I think with Lily I had 5 (one due to possible ectopic but scan couldn't tell, then a higher level that showed it wasn't ectopic, a 3rd to date, gender u/s, and then a higher level because 20 week u/s didn't show normal heart but the higher level was fine). With this baby I've had 2 to date pregnancy (wasn't sure when I conceived and first u/s didn't show anything), then one when I was having contractions a few weeks ago, and the 20 week u/s. I think I remember having one other in there as well from a possible infection early in the pregnancy.

Next time I only want 1 u/s at 20 weeks if possible.

January 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I think it's great that you posted these because a lot of women just don't know. I definitely didn't know with Bryson. I had 3 with both of my kids. With Emory I had the first one to date the pregnancy, then one at 12 weeks when we couldn't find his heartbeat and it was feared that we lost him and then another one to find out the sex. If we ever have another baby I may not get one done at all if I can be strong enough.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't do any. Honestly it wasn't that hard. Once we decided not to do them, and just to trust G-d and my body to take care of things it was easy. And I loved telling people- what strange looks I got!

We may do one next time, to find out about the placenta b/c I have some concerns from Noah's birthing. We were a bit worried about location, and I'm afraid of another knot. But hopefully we can overcome those fears and trust again before baby number 2.

January 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I know, it's hard to 100% let go and trust. I haven't been able to do it. I can't say I'm "nervous" about things being wrong, but there is a teeny tiny little voice inside me saying "what if" - I am a big what if kind of person anyway, so it's hard to totally turn that off.
January 6th, 2010, 11:58 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree that excessive ultrasounds are dangerous. But I sort of feel like it's a bit dangerous to completely let go and "trust" that everything will be okay, not based on anything besides positive thinking.
January 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
noworries
Good stuff. I feel like I might get pressured into doing more ultrasounds than I would like with this pregnancy because of my high risk label (unless of course I can get Aaron to agree to a home birth again) and I just don't know what to think. I know that I want to do as little testing as needed but at the same time I want the reassurance that everything is going ok. Ugh.
January 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
I agree that excessive ultrasounds are dangerous. But I sort of feel like it's a bit dangerous to completely let go and "trust" that everything will be okay, not based on anything besides positive thinking.

actually, mommy intuition is really a powerful thing- Most moms will detect a problem, and many times u/s use reassures them nothing is wrong when really all it is doing is teaching them not to listen to their guts.

and really there is a TON to be known without doing an ultrasound. Hiccups tell us baby's lungs function well, size tells us that growth is happening. Having a normal pregnancy (no bleeding, healthy weight gain, healthy mom, good nutrition) tells us that all should be going ok. Freak accidents happen, and the lack of knowing for me wouldn't change my plans at all. Feeling movement shows that baby is ell developing and has all the necessary parts. Palpation tells us that baby is a good size, proportion- head is developing, and well. Anything we wouldn't find out from listening to baby would most likely not be picked up by a level 1 u/s or wouldn't matter/ change anything. Of course gross abnormalities and accidents can occur, but often that is where instinct somes in.

If I werte doing a u/s I'd do a biophysical profile (level 2). B/c really- if anything is found they'd go to that anyhow, so I'd personally prefer to start at the top anyhow.

January 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
my midwife is writing a new book (she has written several on VBAC) and she scored an interview with one of the men who originally "discovered" ultrasound for use in the medical field. He happens to be the neighbor of one of her former clients. He said it was never intended for routine and frequent use. He also said that his granddaughters are of age now where they could have children, and when they become pregnant he won't let them get any ultrasounds, that's how strongly he feels. This tells me something.

By waiting until well into the second trimester, you at least are assured that there will not be any interruption of development.

Carrie, if you are indeed labeled "high risk" I really hope that won't mean every other week scans. You of course could negotiate that down I bet. It's hard to believe that many are needed, but I hear of it a lot! Unbelievable.
January 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What I don't understand is the whole 3-D/4D u/s craze that seems to be happening. I see signs for them all around town and then their info booklets/websites state that they aren't approved by any medical associations, etc. And I know the major medical associations say on their websites that women should not be getting these for fun, yet so many women do. I get that people want to "see" the baby, but it just seems like so much more unnecessary risk. I think a lot of pregnant women don't realize that they are not recommended, etc.

January 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran
Cheryl, can I steal your post to post in my DDC? Actually are you in my DDC? July? Sorry i thought you might be... anyway there is a thread right now about elective ultrasounds. I can't believe how many people are doing that. *sigh* I will have only 1 with this baby, at 20 weeks.

January 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
yes, we are in the same DDC. YOU can post this if you want, but I hesitate to. Things can get really touchy on JM, it's a bit easier early on, but late in the game things get moderated and whatnot. I do mention little things here and there about u/s safety (and dopplers are actually worse apparently, because it is constant where u/s is pulsed) but no one really notices.

This is a tough one for sure. And to touch on Shelly's point- why should women take the warnings against 3D and 4D u/s seriously when u/s is used to regularly by their docs? I can't believe how many even low risk women get so many. Docs that do them at every appointment even?

u/s is just seen as "fun" and I admit, with Cadie, I was the same way! I LOVED my u/s's with her, I had no clue they were not perfectly harmless. Technology is a wonderful thing, right???
January 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran
Ah... I"ll leave the post here then... don't want to cause any grief over in the DDC! I just wish more woman would research things before they do them! I agree seeing your baby on u/s is an amazing experience.. but to ELECTIVELY do one? No thanks.

January 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would hesitate to post in a DDC as well. I posted something on mine about dopplers early on and people didn't take it very well.

January 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
I kind of feel this way too. I am of the school of minimal ultrasound exposure - especially being a homebirther. There are some problems that will indicate giving birth in a hospital with a NICU team standing by. There are even some that mean a baby will live only a few days. I would rather be prepared for that if at all possible.

With Elizabeth we did the anatomy scan. Then I did do another one at 41 weeks - a BPP. If I had gone over 42 weeks, I would have had BPP/NSTs done every other day, and I'm OK with that.

With any future baby we need to have at least one (to check for placental issues), and that will be our plan again. If we need more than one, that's OK too.

I just wish more people read and researched. I have a friend getting one at every appointment and she thinks it's just awesome that insurance pays for it. But she won't drink caffeine, you know?

January 7th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I just got called uneducated on my DDC for saying I didn't believe u/s was safe, which was why I was only getting one. nice.
January 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Of course I just went and read that thread Cheryl. I don't see why she called you uneducated. It's not like you were saying that all u/s causes cancer! It's a risk though and it is tied to so many other things. Then when you couple that with environmental risks etc, it just raises the chance. And so many pregnant women are uncomfortable taking any chances during pregnancy but don't realize that an u/s is a risk in itself as well. That's how I took what you posted anyway, but obviously some others saw it differently.

I hope your DDC doesn't get all drama about this though. It seemed like quite a few people in the thread were trying to limit the number of u/s they were getting though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search