Birthing Ball

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Veteran
This is essentially one of the exercise stability balls, correct? I'd like to get one & was checking them out at Target... seems they have different sizes - for those who have used them, what should I be looking for? The largest? TIA!

January 6th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, they are. If you are looking for one you can sit on, I would recommend one of the bigger ones.

January 6th, 2010, 07:31 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
they have lots of great uses, and kids love them too!
January 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just bought one last night at Walmart for $9. The only difference I could see between the 55cm one and 65 cm was for the person's actual height. I went with the bigger one. Now I just need to figure out how to blow it up!

January 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM
frugality=reality
I got one of those after I had my last baby (and yes-it's the exercise balls), and I may use it while in labor this time. I got the biggest one because it's most versatile, and I can sit on it comfortably.
January 6th, 2010, 09:37 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I never got a chance to use one. Katelynn came out way to fast for anything. Maybe next time or maybe not. Im hoping that our next birth is just like Katelynn's.

January 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Yup they are the same, exercise ball or yoga ball.

January 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM
frugality=reality
by the way-a bike tire pump.
January 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Exercise balls are the same as birthing balls - although my particular birthing ball came from target and specifically said 'not a birthing ball' because apparently the rubber is thicker in 'birthing' balls and so its more 'safe' to be sitting on, haha. But the birthing ball was also like $25 compared to the $9 exercise ball that I bought. I had done some googling online to determine between the 55cm and 65cm sizes and it seemed the 'height' cut off was 5'3" ... so it could go either way for me. Some said 5'5" - I went with the bigger ball though b/c they were the same price. The pump to fill it up was included. My hospital provides birthing balls, but I've enjoyed having mine at home to sit/bounce on and since I'm planning on staying at home as long as possible during the beginning of my birthing time - it was definitely worth the 9 bucks!

January 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I loved my birthing ball with my second birth, I bought one for my homebirth, but didn't even think to use it. I ended up selling it in a yard sale I had last summer, so I know I'll have to get another one this time around.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is based on height, if you buy it and fill it and it seems too big, just let out some of the air so it squishes more and then it will be more comfortable.

Once you are using it, if you know baby is vertex you should deflat it enough so that when you sit on it your knees are above your hips. Before you know if baby is engaged and head down you should have it inflated so that your hips are above your knees so you don't encourage the bottom to engage.

If you buy one on-line, get the thera band brand, they are much sturdier than the Target/Walmart ones.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
they're more expensive, but maxafe makes really awesome egg shaped balls. That is what I used and use for clients. tHey're a lot more stable and sturdy.

January 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I lovedddd the birth ball when I was pregnant...DESPISED it when I was in labor! Mine at home is just a golds gym brand exercise ball I got at wal mart for like $10.00 or something (it came with the pump) - I think the one they had at the hospital was pretty similiar to it. I hope next time I can use it to help baby drop down, but this time it wasnt in the cards!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
stlgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been sitting on mine at work for probably 3 solid months now. I love it - my lower back feels soooooo much better now that I'm not using the office chair!
January 7th, 2010, 04:15 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh- I didn't labor with mine either, but many of my clients have! I used it in early labor, but once things were active it was NOT helping! I'm the exception tho, most women love it. I think my birth was just too intense/fast to need it or have it be helpful.

January 7th, 2010, 06:41 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I'm feeling pretty stupid, because it turned out the pump was in the box, I just hadn't opened it. I will say pumping by hand kinda hurt!

January 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used the pump that came with our air mattress to blow mine up

Mine is an exercise ball, but we only use it to sit on and have never had a problem. DH is a big guy too, and he sits on it all the time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search