Fenugreek users... or anyone that knows about Fenugreek

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First... for the users...

How is fenugreek working out for you in the BFing department?

Second... for the knowledgeable on fenugreek...

I have read on one site.. which I can't find now.. that says fenugreek contains nicotine? Ummm.. is this true or what have you?
January 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks to fenugreek I have 400oz frozen that I am giving to a friend when she has her baby. (She will be unable to breastfeed due to having an elective double mastectomy). It upped my supply a TON. I can usually get 3-4oz after my first morning feed, and 2-3oz between feeds (brybry still eats every 2 hours, or close to).

I looked at my bottle (Which came from whole foods) and it does not have nicotine in it.

the only thing I don't like about fenugreek is that it makes me smell like maple syrup

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks girlie...

Did you notice any side effects on you or brylie.. and how long did you notice after takin fenugreek that you had this increase?

Oh and does anyone know how I can make my own fenugreek capsules??

I have boughten fenugreek seeds from the health food store and was wondering if I grind these int a fine powder and capsulate them myself can I take it that way?
January 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
No effects other than the maple syrup smell. My midwife, Brylie's pediatrician, and the Lactation Consultant all agree that it's perfectly safe.

I noticed an increase almost immediately - within a day or two for sure.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How many capsules a day. how many times a day, and dosage?

Fenugreek Powder, Fenugreek India, Bulk Fenugreek powder, 4-hydroxyisoleucine, Fenugreek Herbs, uses of fenugreek powder

Here is the site that mentions nicotine....
January 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I take 3 caps 3x daily....i think 400mg each but not ++ nak

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much!
January 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I tried taking it but the maple syrup smell killed me. I HATE syrup, LOL. Maybe I should retry it!

January 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I make my own mother's milk tea, and that's one of the ingredients! Probably not as effective as taking it alone, but the tea works for me! I drink about a quart every 1-2 days! (it's not my favorite tasting tea, but it helps!)

Oh and I've never heard of it having nicotine, but I've never known to look for it either! I would think it would be safe!

January 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
I make my own mother's milk tea, and that's one of the ingredients! Probably not as effective as taking it alone, but the tea works for me! I drink about a quart every 1-2 days! (it's not my favorite tasting tea, but it helps!)

Oh and I've never heard of it having nicotine, but I've never known to look for it either! I would think it would be safe!

I already made my own Milk Tea... and yes it is VERY harsh tasting... I have also made it int a tincture which has about 3 more weeks left to brew... I am just looking into somethnig to help me in the meantime because I have been gagging down the tea and the honey I add to it to make it less harsh doesn't do the trick... Plus I have just been loooking at other options...
January 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw an increase with fenugreek within about 24-48 hours.

The only side effect I can note is that it can cause you to get your period again. I got mine shortly after I started taking it, even though I wasn't ovulating again yet. I ended up with 2 short periods, 2 weeks apart while on it. I only took it for a short amount of time (1-2 months) to pump and then I didn't get a period again until a few months ago. Here's some info from Kellymom on it:
kellymom.com :: Fenugreek for Increasing Milk Supply

January 9th, 2010, 05:53 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
are you really worried about supply? I never took any of these things personally, I didn't look for a problem where there wasn't one. Just curious.
January 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Cheryl makes a good poin. You don't want to make yourself become unbearbly engorged or something and then have to deal with those problems - I had a HUGE supply hit while brylie was in the hospital from 5d-9d old - they wouldn't let me nurse her (threatned to call CPS because her weight was down so much they told me I was starving her) and didn't give me a pump until she was 7d old (I had mine, but they didn't give me the good symphony until then) so I HAD to do something. I also did get my period at exactly 2m pp...had a 43 day cycle, now I'm on CD 46 of the 2nd cycle and know AF will be here soon...started spotting a bit yesterday, but I do believe both cycles were annovulatory.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am keeping my options opened as to what I can do...

I feel like I am having supply issues... Noelle is eating more and I feel like I am having a difficult time keeping up with her and am currently having to tap into our freezer stash of milk so I don't go back to using formula... even thought she doesn't get more then 4oz if that occasionally

I have been putting Noelle to the breast every 2-3hrs and pumping in between.... have been doing this for the past 3-4 days... I haven't been engorged in 2 weeks... not even after going without pumping or nursing over night when Noelle sleeps longer...

I really wanted to have a freezer stash going for when I go back to work but it doesn't look like it is going to happen... I have been drinking the Mother's Milk Tea to just help me a bit and just currently looking into other options if it goes to that...

Last edited by PinkFireFly; January 9th, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
January 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is normal to not feel engorged after the first few weeks. Also, she is at the point where she may be going through a growth spurt. They can be a pain in the butt with how much the baby wants to be at the breast.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would just pump once in the morning for now, to build your stash. How much time do you have until you go back to work? I would not go into your freezer stash, just keep putting her on the boob when she wants to eat.

January 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have 4 weeks until I go back to work...

The next weeks are going to be crunch time to try and get the stash built up..

It has been difficult lately trying to pump in between her feedings... It seems like everytime I want to pump she needs something... She is such a little stinker
January 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried pumping while you nurse? I have difficulty with supply when it comes to the pump. With my first two I couldn't produce enough and had to supplement. With Pat I started supplementing at 4 months and then we stopped BFing at 9 months because I couldn't get him to stop biting. With Mike I just couldn't keep up. When he found out the bottle was easier and faster it was all he wanted. I was so stressed out I just couldn't do it anymore and He was bottle fed from about 4 months.

With Caroleigh I discovered pumping while feeding her and for the first time ever I was able to pump more than 1-2 ounces at a time. She had nothing but booby juice until she was 5 months 3 weeks. Then I got sick and my supple dropped. At that point I stopped trying to keep up with pumping and she got formula during the day and breastfed when we were together. I was able to do 6 months of breast milk for Evie too.

With both of the girls though there would be days where I was pumping each day for the next day and just praying I would have enough milk for them. The first feed when I got home from work I would be able to pump about 8 ounces though from the one breast! It was amazing!!!

I would nurse on the harder to pump side and pump the easier side until I couldn't get anything else out. Then I would switch the baby and pump and do t again. Sometimes I could get extra milk from the breast the baby nursed on, but not all the time. The extra pumping though triggered the breast to produce more so the baby would get more next time. Plus, feeding the baby on the already pumped breast meant she got more hindmilk which helped plump her up.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
just try eating a bowl of oatmeal everyday, not instant kind though.
January 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Cheryl...

I made lactation cookies that have the real rolled oats in them...

I tried eating the oatmeal and it was gagging me so I made the lactation cookies and eat at least 4 a day...

Noelle does get bottles but I have noticed that she prefers boobie over bottle today I ended up doing mainly breast so far and have pump 2 times today... I banked 3oz into the freezer in one session and wasn't able to get but maybe a couple drops in the second... I am going totry and pump here in a moment while Noelle is sleeping

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search